Automate individual instrument in Studio Horns patch?

hammerpocket

tl;dr: I can't figure out how to do a pitch bend for one horn that doesn't affect all horns in the section.

I'm using a multi-piece Studio Horns library patch for a horn part. Most of the song I'm just playing triads and letting Studio Horns auto-split the voices, but one part I'm writing out so the trombone, tenor sax, and bari sax play specific notes. For this part I am using the individual instrument tracks within the track stack. The three horns play one chord together, then glissando to another chord. For the saxes I just put in the individual notes, but I want the trombone to slide into the second note. The individual instruments are already assigned midi channels, so I created a region automation for pitch bend in channel 11 on the trombone track. (Automation popup in Editor window reads "Ch. 11: Pitch Bend".) All of the horns are pitch bending.

I have set the track stack and horn section tracks are to midi channel 1 instead of the default 'all', but that doesn't seem to have helped. I know I can just make another trombone track, but this seems like something that should be possible within the stack. What am I missing? Am I misunderstanding the function of the midi channel assignments?