Sync two Macs for live gigs using Live loops

barnes41

Hey people,

i follow the thread launched by "thealiendog" (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122146) who don’t receive any satisfying answer.

I want to synch 2 macs to play perfectly together. I think with the new live loops in Logic pro it offers great possibilities.

I use ethernet cable, follow the procedure (https://www.musictech.net/tutorials/logic-pro-x-two-macs/) and everything work fine UNTIL you put plug-ins, “real” ones generating latency, on the master session. At this time, the slave computer integrate only midi message but not the delay created by the plug-ins.

I select the PDC tab but it don’t seem to do anything and in synchronization/audio i select external/free fro the slave.

Is it possible to solve this problem? What am i missing?

Thanks for you answers.

LogicX 10.5.1

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

2,8 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Metric Halo LIO-8 3d

• 3 weeks later...

Hey David, thanks for your answer. i was fightin alone and didn't come back. My apologies. My purpose is easy and i solve it: i want to play with another producer (DJ) in perfect synch. I play the cells, he play the cells and our mix, ou meeting, create the music. I understood that i must integrate the sound of the second producer inside my own session, my own computer like this his sound assimilate the latency of my plug ins. That's all.

But i have a NEW problem: we play together through ethernet cable and my master don't transmit the BPM (tempo) to his LP session. Do you know how to activate this information? Thanks for all, will be back be sure!

Here’s the setup:

- plug ethernet cable between both computer.

- go to audio midi setup/midi network setup, “connect” both sessions. You created a network between both computer.

-Open logic pro on each computer:

On MASTER one: Project setting/synchronization/MIDI [tab]/ select your network under “destination”/

check “clock”/“PDC”/“MTC”.

On SLAVE one: Project setting/synchronization/ General [tab]/ select synch mode “MTC”, check “auto-enable external synch and tap tempo”. In AUDIO [tab] select “MTC trigger +auto speed detection”. If you keep “MTC continous” it creates drop outs during the playing. Don’t know why.

LIke i said before, this process doesn’t transmit any information to the slave computer concerning the tempo , but it synch pefectly both of them, until… you put strong plug ins on master session and the latency become unmanageable.

SO you can do this:

you recover the audio signal generate by the slave computer in your own soundcard, let’s say in input 1-2. In my case a metric halo LIO-4.

On your soundcard mixer (in my case MIOconsole 3rd), i create an audio track analog 1-2 and i resend the signal to the DAW host (logic…). For exemple 37-38. In logic i create an audio track, input 37-38, output 63-64 (exemple). Finally i recover the signal in my MIOconsole 3rd: Host input 63-64. I mute the first track i created (analog 1-2), processed inside logic and recover in the second track “host 63-64”

If you play in high buffer 1024 in logic you must add delay compensation because input monitoring cannot handle the latency. In 128 you hardly hear it.

That’s it.

So… what about the BPM transmission between master and slave?

Thanks for you answers.

898924881_Screenshot2020-07-26at18_52_25.thumb.png.0bca245196ca44f25c4fc2a2d351ef1d.png