move audio region/s in milliseconds steps

ctrl-alt-delete

I record drums and some channels go to tape, and some to the hard drive directly. All cool because it's 2 direct mics from tape (and then to computer) and 2 room mics to computer directly. Accuracy within 5ms is fine. So far so good.

The tape delay is 178ms and I've controlled this by recording a dry signal as a reference. This I'd like to avoid to not have to split the audio. So far so good too.

But.. I can't quickly see the region display (floating window when moving regions) showing me the milliseconds. I really would like to find a setting for this so I can minus delay the audio the 178ms and be done with it.

Yeah. It works, but I wont get it visually aligned like that which is a nice thing. Besides the "ticks" seem to be in charge and I can't change to ms as per default (like it was possible before). But this is anyway a work around, time is all that matters in my context. The tape machine doesn't care for the tempo in a song or how many ticks that equal to a ms. :). The songs all have different tempo and the ticks/ms relation is different.. if I'm not mistaken.

• 6 months later...
I'd really like to know about this, too. The inspector window gives certain options only, and in order to achieve an exact move of a given number of milliseconds, you have to adjust the project tempo. Anyone else have any knowledge/ideas/suggestions?

If moving regions is not a problem, you could use the nudge function set to ms and use the Option+Left Right arrows

1374379645_ScreenShot2021-01-23at08_04_41.png.58995eb6baeef7c9b39d65d097b79738.png

I'd really like to know about this, too. The inspector window gives certain options only, and in order to achieve an exact move of a given number of milliseconds, you have to adjust the project tempo. Anyone else have any knowledge/ideas/suggestions?

If moving regions is not a problem, you could use the nudge function set to ms and use the Option+Left Right arrows

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 08.04.41.png

The nudge works more on the "set and forget" (or take notes) terms if I'm not mistaken. And as far as I know, you still can't specify the exact nudge value. If so, please correct me.

In Preferences/Display/Display Time As/ choose Hours:Minutes:Seconds:MilliSeconds.

That way (as previously mentioned) you could use the second ruler as reference to move you regions to the desired ms position.

That is a neat work around, one just need to count a little. The ruler shows you where you are at, when you start to move a region, and where you are ending. Not how many (ms) you are moving your region. Again, if I'm mistaken here, please correct.

Edit: though it doesn't help when I want to have the regions at a fixed place and delay them. Can't have it all.. I've at least informed Logic about this. I've rarely had the need before to do this (over 20 years), but I am now a little surprised that this option does not exist.

In Preferences/Display/Display Time As/ choose Hours:Minutes:Seconds:MilliSeconds.

That way (as previously mentioned) you could use the second ruler as reference to move you regions to the desired ms position.

That is a neat work around, one just need to count a little. The ruler shows you where you are at, when you start to move a region, and where you are ending. Not how many (ms) you are moving your region. Again, if I'm mistaken here, please correct.

Click&hold to drag the region while maintaining depressed the Shift&Ctrl (modifier keyboard keys) will reveal in the tool-tip popup (in realtime) the distance you are moving the region.

Another approach could be setting the playhead at the desired location first (main menu > Navigate > GoTo > Position...), then using the local menu > Move > to Playhead.

Edit: though it doesn't help when I want to have the regions at a fixed place and delay them. Can't have it all.. I've at least informed Logic about this. I've rarely had the need before to do this (over 20 years), but I am now a little surprised that this option does not exist.
Admittedly not ideal, but you could recreate the original region's left border position using the Marquee tool to encompass the moved region and extend that selection to the original border position and creating a new region to that effect (using the key-command J).

Click&hold to drag the region while maintaining depressed the Shift&Ctrl (modifier keyboard keys) will reveal in the tool-tip popup (in realtime) the distance you are moving the region.

Another approach could be setting the playhead at the desired location first (main menu > Navigate > GoTo > Position...), then using the local menu > Move > to Playhead.

Admittedly not ideal, but you could recreate the original region's left border position using the Marquee tool to encompass the moved region and extend that selection to the original border position and creating a new region to that effect (using the key-command J).

Ok, thanks. Will look into these things later today.