Silent Tracks

art Lowell

1730527176_ScreenShot2020-07-09at7_41_37PM.thumb.png.0ebdaa722f46912b3c6b9d46d3ffef3d.pngMy clarinet track has gone completely silent. The screenshot is of a test project that I set up. The first track (Clarinet) is a silent track that I imported from a different project. The second track is one that I created with some random MIDI notes in it. It functioned as expected. Then, I swapped the two regions between the first and second track. From that point on, neither track made a sound. Swapping the two tracks back and forth made no difference. Both tracks completely silent.

Yup. Midi channels are properly designated. Here's my theory. these regions were created on an obsolete laptop, then transferred over to my new laptop. I suspect that the silent regions were corrupted from the beginning. A suggestion. I could email you a copy of the region. (It should possess the identical properties it now has. That way, you could attempt to reproduce the conditions on your own machine, and analyze from there).

That may be a clue. I deleted all automation on that track and reset the volume at maximum. (It was at minimum). Still, the volume was very weak. Next, I'll try raising the modulation and expression automation curves.

Ah . . . that got the volume much closer to where it should be. (Which is it? The expression or the modulation? I think it's different with different libraries)

No. I cant seem to get it to sound again, even with everything else in the project deleted and that track routed straight to "stereo out" and only volume, expression and modulation turned way up. Oh wait. If I raise the volume directly in the event list, the clarinet sounds right. But I have that track set on "read", so it should be following the volume automation curve.

I did that. Here's what I've discovered. The event list value varies only with the region volume automation curve. I think I may have it solved. I won't know until I fool around with it. (I'd still like to know what went wrong in the first place.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I'lll let you know if I encounter any more surprises.

So, I see that Schlomojorgenson is attempting to interrupt with what I assume is intended to be humor . . . embarrassing. Also unrelated to the topic.

definitely don't lighten up; can't have any humor, distraction, diversion when ppl are helping you on this forum (and you're getting a lot of help, despite your previous behavior).

personally, i think you need to smoke more ganja...

Why are you even reading my posts, Fisherking . . . against my express requests? Since you have nothing to contribute to the topic except for lame snark and phony insults. The forum is intended for insights and questions about Logic Pro X. Your gratuitous opinions about other things are not welcome. I thought we had that clearly understood. Do you not read? (This is me actually being rude.)

Why are you even reading my posts, Fisherking . . . against my express requests? Since you have nothing to contribute to the topic except for lame snark and phony insults. The forum is intended for insights and questions about Logic Pro X. Your gratuitous opinions about other things are not welcome. I thought we had that clearly understood. Do you not read? (This is me actually being rude.)

apologies, was curious about the subject. anyway, realize you're gonna be angry no matter who posts what, so will endeavor to not visit any threads you start. meanwhile... breathe. try to enjoy this place, it's filled with helpful, thoughtful, and sometimes playful people. really, it's okay to lighten up sometimes!

• 1 month later...

Having the same issue with Spitfire LABS and EastWest Play plugins, current versions. I’m experiencing another bizarre symptom: when playing a 1-track 8 bar project on Cycle repeat the playback volume will drop to -35 cB (almost inaudible) after several playback passes. No hands on the keyboard, no other instruments or tracks in the project. No MIDI or controller data written that I know of other than keyboard key presses (note, channel pressure, etc.). Just loaded a plugin with a preset, started playback, playback quickly goes to almost inaudible and stays there even when the project is closed and re-opened. Sometimes C11 events will show in the data stream, sometimes Volume or Expression values are not present. If I insert a C11 event (Expression to LABS) playback volume responds.

I’ll be checking this thread often...

• 2 weeks later...
Latest activity on this issue includes remote online support session with Spitfire, no solution found as of 9/5/2020. CC1 and CC11 seem to be competing (one will change the other) during playback. LABS “Expression” and “Modulation” are not independent. Writing controller data (Latch mode) doesn’t help. If anyone has had consistent success with LABS plugins playing back consistently please share your secrets. Thanks in advance.

Most of this thread is about Art not listening properly and/or refusing good advice and/or preferring to argue about whatever, so I doubt that many folks are still paying attention to this thread, maybe better open a new thread.

If tracks suddenly go silent, it is usually some stray cc7, cc11 or cc1(if the patch is set up to interpret this a volume/expression) events which may come from imported MIDI regions or from automation but usually from the controller keyboard.

CC events in regions can be seen in the Event List Editor, CC events from a keyboard only affect the selected track.