Navigate External MIDI Program Changes w/ MIDI Controller

grubmanus

I have some external MIDI tracks set up in Logic, each tied to specific external synths. I change patches by selecting from the Program Change menu on each track, which works fine. But for an even faster workflow, I’d love to set up a MIDI controller on my desk which could navigate the Program Change menu with 2 simple buttons: Next / Last. Anyone know if this is possible?

In other words, the goal is to have 2 MIDI buttons to become Inc / Dec buttons that cycle through the Program Change menu of whatever External MIDI track I have selected. Researched it but couldn’t crack it… not yet handy enough in the environment to know if it can be done. Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks David. I actually just discovered the Tech 21 MIDI Mouse which looks like it might just do the job, no? It spits out program changes already... (I thought before I'd have to convert CC's to PC's in the environment which was what intimidated me).

Anyways, I'm tempted to give it a try. If you happen to see why it wouldn't work feel free to share. Thanks!