Panning and earphone setup help

eiough
Go to solution Solved by JakobP,

Hi, I'm currently using a sound which I'm trying to automate with panning however through my earphones it still comes out of both ears when it's fully panned to one side. Is this something that logic is doing and I need to change a setting or am I doing something wrong? 1932490297_Screenshot2020-07-12at11_06_01.thumb.png.2e00bf8a1107d02fc5e6722bc0aab3fa.png

You're still sending both L+R to bus 6, to avoid that, change the send to post pan. Ahh right ok thanks. This will help alto as sometimes I can't her it in mix but then if I bounce it, I can hear it say when listening in the car.

Sorry just did this but still not working. I'm fairly new to logic so a bit of an idiot! Would you be able to say it in layman's terms?! Do I change bus 6 and bus 3 both to post pan? Are these not just panning the effect? Thanks in advance for the help.

You're still sending both L+R to bus 6, to avoid that, change the send to post pan.

258515604_Screenshot2020-07-13at10_25_51.thumb.png.235ac067ef5d6c957ae3337ff2e72de8.png

1108522061_Screenshot2020-07-13at10_26_23.thumb.png.ebb2966726449fe25e718d385c736670.png

Setting the buses post pan will send the signal panned as on the sending track, if that's what you want ?

I also notice your receiving aux for bus 3 is set to mono, you'll have to set that to stereo. Then it depends on what effects you insert on the receiving auxes, how much they "bleed" between left and right...

So I've changed bus 3 to stereo, I hadn't noticed that thanks. And although when I play the track, I can see on the fader only the left track is playing, same sound is coming through both sides of my earphones. Once I've sorted it what I'm going to do is automate it so it sounds like it's traveling from left to right. Ideally full volume in left, totally silent in right, then gradually moving until full volume in right and silent in left. I know how to do the automation, once I get a true pan. Again thanks in advance.

792701677_Screenshot2020-07-13at11_17_20.thumb.png.0c55467cc0b1dc979bfe4b88879f1aa1.png

First, the aux with input bus 3 is still mono (click the circle left of "Bus3" so you get the 2 interleaved circles as the other aux'es). Then I suggest you remove the plugins from the auxes and insert them again, to make sure they all are true stereo. Edited by JakobP

Cheers, although the reverb does bleed cause I can visually see it bleeding to the other side, I still hear the same sound through both earphones, surely the channel with the reverb bleed would be a lot quieter and sound like more spacey and further away. I wouldn't mind a touch of bleed if the main sound was loud enough. This is making me think surely this could be a logic setting or something with the earphones? I had a song a while ago that I accidentally recorded in stereo but it just recorded on the left channel, through both sets of earphones I tried using, the same sound came through both ears. It wasn't until I bounced the track and played it in my car, that I realised it was only coming through 1 side. I've just got my studio monitors back so might have a listen through them. This track was just made so I could practise panning and automation for a new track with live instruments that I'm working on.

• Solution
Can you hear panning in any project ? Can you see the panning on the meters on the stereo out ? If you can see it's panned there, but don't hear it, that means it's a setting on your interface. There's also a mono setting in the macs accessibility settings that could be in play...