Decent CPU Power for Logic Pro

Gianni_Gon

Hi there, Im getting a new Mac Book and I wanted to ask here in the community what should I consider regarding the CPU Power?

I'm buying a new MacBook because I dont want to see the "CPU Overload" warning sign ever again!

I havent found any answer for dummies in the internet, and I also feel more safe asking around here. So if you could advice me I'd be very grateful!

Thanks

G.

I was thinking about getting a mac book air, cause that is what I have now. But I just realized that Mac Book Pro are much cheaper, or am I wrong? I am not fixed to any kind, so I'd be up for a 13' or 16' as well.

I found an Apple MacBook Pro 13" - A1278 2,7 GHz - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB HDD for 400 €

Any Mac book Air with over 2 GhZ would cost at least 600 € according to google search

I'm buying a used one and I'm putting down about 650 € +/-

Edited by Gianni_Gon

Intel Core i7-3615QM (4x 2,3 GHz / 6 MB Cache / 1066 MHz FSB / 64-bit / 45 Watt)

Does that mean that this one has 4 processors? Sorry... I am a complete a dummy, I admit it.

So, after a little research on google about what's good, I am now looking for the following keywords when I'm searching :

- Processor over 2,0 GHz

- 250 GB SSD

- 8 GB RAM

- Model 2016 or newer (corrected)

Any comments on that?

Edited by Gianni_Gon

if you don't want to see "overload" messages, a 4-year-old mac isn't going to guarantee that. and an i7 should be a good minimum (the processor speed, ie "over 2ghz" isn't as urgent as which processor you're running.

256g hard drive is enough to work, but you'll probably need to store a lot of non-current projects on an external drive. and 16gb ram would do you much better than 8.

there's no way around it, macs are expensive, and 'new' is expensive. if you're buying an older mac, you should be able to work, but don't expect miracles.

good luck!

thanks for the advice!

I just corrected it. The model version should be 2016 or newer. But I keep finding Mac Book Pros that have 16 gb Ram, 256 Gb Harddrives and 2,8 GHz Processors from the year 2012.

So, I was just wondering, why exactly must it be newer if older versions have seemingly such a good performance?

the all-important processor gets better every year (some may not agree); memory, even SSDs get better; faster, more efficient. either way, an 8-year-old macbook won't have the power and efficiency of a newer mac; and you may find yourself limited to an older OS, and an older version of logic.

only you can determine how important these things are to you. do your research! if you buy an older mac, google to find out what OS it can run, and that in turn will tell you what version of logic you can run...

But I keep finding Mac Book Pros that have 16 gb Ram, 256 Gb Harddrives and 2,8 GHz Processors from the year 2012.

For the 400-500 Euros you wanna spend, that's the best you can get.

Forget old Macbook Airs. They come with weak dual-cores.

If you're looking at 2012 laptops, consider the 15-inch models because they have quad-core i7 chips.

The 13-inch models only come with dual-cores. So avoid these as well.

Also, the non-retina 2012 laptops are the only user-upgradable model available. If they come with an HDD, you can still put an SSD in it and also increase the ram to 16 gigs.

Everything newer will have soldered ram and proprietary HDs. So you can't upgrade anymore.

I'm typing this on a non-retina 2012 15-inch with an SSD and ram I upgraded myself. I can still get the latest Logic if I want to. Sticking with Mojave and Logic 10.4.8 for now.

"Everything newer will have soldered ram and proprietary HDs. So you can't upgrade anymore."

Oh, that's really interesting!

Actually I will recieve more than I thought for my old Mac Book, so I can spend 750€ or more for the laptop, but only because I can it doesnt mean I have to.

I first really wanted a 2016 model or newer. As Fisherking said, pocessors get better every year, but if you say that you do not feel technically impaired by the MacBook 2012 for being able to upgrade at any point, and that you are happy with the CPU performance, than getting a 2012 sounds really good too.

And you can get the latest logic if you want to.

Talking about that, I have a really important question! I have Logic 10.4.0

Will I be able to install that in the new computer? 2012 I guess will work.

But what in case I chose a newer model, like 2016 or 2017?

I'm happy with the version a I have and dont need an upgrade

Hi everybody!

I am going to buy one of the new iMacs (21.5 or 27 inches).

I would like to kindly know if, in your opinion, I need a 9th generation i5 or i9 to deal with big Logic Pro X projects (maybe even 40+ orchestral tracks) or I can "settle" for an i7 8th generation.

The configuration would be:

RAM: 32 GB, 2666 MHz

Storage: 1TB SSD

CPU: i7, 3.2-4.6 GHz - 6 core (21.5 inches) // i5, 3.6-4.6 GHz - 6 core (27 inches) // i9, 3.6 - 5 GHz - 8 core (27 inches).

I would like to work on a stable machine without reaching exorbitant temperatures for a long time.

Thank you very much in advance.

I first really wanted a 2016 model or newer

If you can find something in your price range, go for it.

Just remember to make sure you're buying a quad-core chip, which for the newer models can be an i5 or i7.

Ideally you want 16 gigs of ram, and 512 SSD as an investment.

You can compare models and their benchmarks here:

https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-comparison-chart/?compare=all-intel-macs

Geekbench 4 scores for older machines above 4000 on SC and above 13000 on MC would be great.

I have Logic 10.4.0. Will I be able to install that in the new computer?

Sure, you can just put the app on a flash drive and copy it over.

I would like to kindly know if, in your opinion, I need a 9th generation i5 or i9 to deal with big Logic Pro X projects (maybe even 40+ orchestral tracks) or I can "settle" for an i7 8th generation.

If you have the money, get the 27-inch iMac with an i9. On this model you can still upgrade the ram yourself. Get the basic 8 gig configuration from Apple, and then buy more ram at half price from www.macsales.com

Jap, Im still on it (:

But I am aiming for a MacBook Pro 15 2015 ssd 500 2.2 GH

It just has the best reviews and they seem to run really well.

iPad wouldnt be so comfortable for me, plus I rather having something more compact. Maybe in the future though, if I am travelling and recording at the same time...

Uhh, well. Now I`ve got the MacBook Pro 15 2015 (:

That`s what Im using right now to reply. I still cannot say anything about it, cause I got it today. But I`m really eager to figuer out how it will be with logic.

I was wondering. Do you know where is the installation package of Logic stored? So I can install it.

I hope it works without any problems.

Edited by Gianni_Gon