Is it my imac or logic pro software

John Dale

I have an imac that I purchased new in 2013. I've been using Logic Pro X for about three years without any unsolvable problems. I currently have been getting "System Overload" indicators as Logic stops playing. Normally when this happens I make some adjustments in "Audio" section of "Preferences" and that solves the problem. No matter what I do now to correct the problem so that I can continue working, it's to no avail. For example, most recently, I am stopped from converting a track to an mp3 by logic just stopping about half way through my track. It will NOT let me both, either create an mp3 from that track, nor even play through that same track. Before I "spring" for a new computer, I want to make sure that the problem does NOT stem from some other factor within Logic. Please help, ASAP. I have a track deadline that I'm trying to meet. Thanks in advance for your assistance. John Dale

I've enclosed screenshots to hopefully most fully answer your question.

Your screenshots are lovely, unfortunately they are not at all what I asked, which is specifically what do Logic’s disk and CPU meters tell you while your project is playing... sorry if that wasn’t clear.

i posted the link for the hardware test instructions earlier.

to reset nvram: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

to reset the smc: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/reset-smc-mac-26444/

i would do the nvram first, see if that helps. then the smc if needed. then the hardware test. again, back up first, just to be safe.

hope you sort this all out!

Thanks a bunch. If it's helpful to note, when the track stops half way through the little "beach ball" just keeps spinning and I have to force quit Logic. I don't know if that makes any difference to anyone that might be trying to help me, but that's what's happening.

Thanks, I'll do what I can. I appreciate your help. BTW, did the 76.3% seem excessive? If the percentage had been the cause, would it more than likely have stopped as it tried to push past 100%? (Just so I better understand.)

Roughly speaking that is 76% of 1 core, each core is 100%, so you can have 700% of an 8 core machine and Logic still isn’t using all of the processing power.