Assigning One Control Knob to Increment / Decrement KC

Plowman
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Child's play for some. Not for me.

There are two splendid key commands called "Increment / Decrement Last Clicked Parameter by 1." I'd like to assign this to one knob, in this case on my eMagic Logic Control. But I can only figure out how to assign one knob to increment (no matter which way I turn it), the other to decrement (likewise), as they are two discrete key commands.

The goal is to select a pre-existing control point in Automation and move the value up or down with one knob (or slider) that does not require repeated hitting of the + and - Querty commands, or the tap, tap, tapping on MIDI buttons.

What MIDI messages does the knob you are using send? If it's different for an increment compared to a decrement, then you should be able to learn them separately. If not, but then might be able to split the commands by the value of the command (ie, all values over 64 for an increment, all below for a decrement etc) but I'd have to get in there and have a play to be sure...

Thanks for responding.

As a proof of concept, I'm trying to use the eighth pan pot on an eMagic Logic Control. It is a control surface, so none of this is reaching Environment.

According to MIDI Monitor, turning the pot one notch to the right creates Controller 23, value 1, and one notch to the left creates Controller 23 with a value of 65. So you are on the right track. But the controller assignment treats it as the same source, turning up or down. In other words, the second value seems to be irrelevant. It asks if I want to keep both, and I do, but it stays uni-directional no matter which way I turn the knob, not discriminating between values 1 or 65.

Below are the first ten notches to the right, the next ten to the left.

1805007132_eMagicLogicControlEighthPanPotReadout.png.94a5b1b6799e927e4bed772977a2c60e.png

What you describe would be ideal, assigning one or the other key command based on the second value.

• Solution
As a proof of concept, I'm trying to use the eighth pan pot on an eMagic Logic Control.

Presumably you mean a V-Pot...

According to MIDI Monitor, turning the pot one notch to the right creates Controller 23, value 1, and one notch to the left creates Controller 23 with a value of 65. So you are on the right track. But the controller assignment treats it as the same source, turning up or down. In other words, the second value seems to be irrelevant. It asks if I want to keep both, and I do, but it stays uni-directional no matter which way I turn the knob, not discriminating between values 1 or 65.

What are your assignment settings? You might have assignments that are set to react to all values of that knob... Remember that "learning" alone is Logic guessing on what you want to do with that knob, but you can edit those assignments to make them do what you want, not what Logic *thinks* you probably want.

Basically you want the learned message on one command to be listening for CC23 with a value of 65, and the other, CC23 with a value of 1...

V-Pot indeed.

"You might have assignments that are set to react to all values of that knob... "

A welcome step forward in my still-challenged knowledge of control surfaces. Yep, I was just learning the assignment. Setting the min/max values for each KC assignment solved it.

Thank you Des.