Triggering MIDI FX Bypass from CC 64 in Environment

Plowman

The following illustrates in the simplest form a curiosity I've found in Environment.

I've created a Fader button and assigned it to FaderM 1 56. This bypasses / allows the first (and only) MIDI FX plug-in. In turn, I trigger that fader with CC 64.

Both Instruments 1 and 2 are cabled to this humble arrangement, as seen in a simplified Environment.

In the movie below, note:

As expected, if I click directly on the fader button, both tracks bypass / allow the MIDI FX.

But if I use the sustain pedal to trigger the very same message from the fader button, the selected track (initially the first track) does not respond. The unselected second track still works as expected.

I repeat this in the movie a second time selecting the second track. Again, clicking with the mouse on the fader button works for both tracks. But now, with the second track selected, only the first track will bypass / allow the MIDI FX as I step on and off the sustain pedal.

1779285660_TriggeringMIDIFXBypassfromCC64inEnvironment.thumb.gif.de8923395bca369077257e180d2482ee.gif

In the second movie the same behavior is seen, this time with CC 64 messages embedded in the first track's region.

1030448538_TriggeringMIDIFXBypass2.thumb.gif.0703e499e79255cf9442e7b82c08911e.gif

Perhaps some kind of filtering is taking place here. But it is quite odd to see in the fader button's output monitor the identical message being sent ( F 1 56 0/1 -- exactly what I get when I click on the fader with the mouse), but without any effect on the selected track.

Triggering MIDI FX Bypass from CC 64 in Environment.zip

Hi

If I'm not mistaken, you have created a data loop which might be the cause of the data confusion?

I've tried cabling the CC64 input pre Sequencer Input - no issue.

Or feed the tracks with CC64 data into new tracks - no issue.

Examples attached:

Triggering MIDI FX Bypass from CC 64 in Environment pre Sequencer.zip

Triggering MIDI FX Bypass from CC 64 in Environment xtra tracks.zip

Or have I missed the point of your example?

I am grateful for your time and examples. And you do understand the issue.

I noted in my post that this may be a filter issue, and you are thinking similarly -- filtering as in self-cancelling a redundant message. And yet, I have read in Logic manuals (and I think I've even observed) that Environment can, under certain conditions, vet through data redundancies and understand the user's intent.

As for my intent (which was simplified to make a clearer point), I'd hoped to take a Scripter plug-in that's choosing articulations and have the option to set it to bypass *in that same automation lane.* The suspended Scripter would allow for a reversion to old-school keyswitching on that same track when desired.

1266923593_BypassingaPlug-IninanArticulationSwitcher.png.7f08abd6ea3ffabf5f117d396a437f3f.png

Logicians will note that bypassing a plug-in is a simple matter of another automation lane, binary in this case, that simply turns the Scripter on and off. Yep. It does. I was just hoping to consolidate automation lanes.

OK

I see the outcome you are after.

I would say that your scripting and logic reasoning are most likely way ahead of my skill set and understanding. This is an area I’ve been exploring to grow my knowledge.

I’ve looked at the logic of the responses you are seeing and I have come to a number of understandings (and am still confused!!).

From what I can see with your examples:

The Button is cabled to target Chanel Strips - so no filtering?

But is track initiated data string handled as pre sequencer - implying a filter?

My playing with various data transmission examples has led me to the feeling that handling of data pre/post sequencer directly impacts how LPX chooses to implement a data string.

I feel the played ‘CC64’ messages are handled as if pre sequencer with the object generating the data string not considered a target for the data string (filtered out).

All other like objects are targeted – Channel Strip>MIDI FX>Slot 1.

While the Button in the environment is targeting the data string to all the cabled Channel Strips.

I’ve expanded your example into a few more tracks and slots to watch what is happening.

Perhaps LPX Sequencer/Track handling Precedence is underpinning the filtering behaviour of the data string playback?

When data arrives at the sequencer input, LPX targets the focused Track;

And maybe when a Track is inputting the data, LPX treats that track as the Sequencer Input and looks only for other relevant targets?

Triggering MIDI FX Bypass from CC 64 in Environment extend tracks.zip

We are equally puzzled. I spent some more time on this, using your most recent Logic file.

It occurred to me that Logic may treat MIDI FX differently than Software Instrument and Audio plug-ins. So I re-routed our button outputs to bypass those types of plug-ins. (I used EXS24 and Gain plug-ins respectively, for all tracks). Perhaps, I thought, MIDI FX is a kind of interloper, stealing information before it reached Environment -- not unlike what you are calling pre-sequencer.

But the behavior was identical. Logic would see the CC 64, transform it to fader messages (and I tried both FaderM and just Fader), and it worked on all but the track where the CC was embedded in the region -- the intended target track. In the end, there was no distinction between MIDI FX, a Software Instrument or Audio plug-in.

Presently, nothing will bypass a plug-in (turn it off and on) other than 1. a dedicated, separate automation lane control point sending that specific bypass command or 2. the real-time pressing (mousing) of a Fader button. Triggering that same fader button with a hardware controller doesn't work on the selected track.

Functionally, it is much ado about nothing. But, like you, it's good to learn. Understanding can be its own reward.