Score Editor. Creating conductor score AND parts

amoscochran

Hi all. Going into the studio to record a string quartet in a week and I am currently buried in arranging and creating the score and parts. I am having no trouble making the conductors score. I have a score set for Violin, Violin, Viola, Cello. All notations is correct markings and such. Now I am working on parts and am really struggling. I have made a score set for each part. When I go to that score set and start to move things around it then changes things when I go back to the score set for the conductor score. This is absolutely maddening and there has to be something I am doing wrong. I have looked all over the internet and did learn about score set, very helpful there. Any advice is welcome. I have read through and through the initial thing that come up when searching about this project.

I am also curious about titles for the parts and score. I have the title on the score. The first cue I made did what I wanted where the title was at the top of the conductors score and in all of the parts. The second cue I am making however, only has it on the conductor score and violin 1. I then have to re enter it for the other parts. Then when I go to the conductor score the title is randomly all over the page multiple times.

Last thing to note - when I create my staff styles I have the Conductor score formatted to "Score" and the individual parts formatted for "Parts" I thought this was the trick but does not seem to be so.

Thanks in advance - Amos

Amos, you have begun a long learning curve. I strongly encourage you to view tutorials and read, then read and watch more tutorials. You are dealing with ground-level realizations about how Logic approaches notated music.

"... staff styles I have the Conductor score formatted to "Score" and the individual parts formatted for "Parts."

There is no such setting for Staff Styles. Those are Score Sets. I am sympathetic to your misunderstanding of "part" and "score," and I am equally sympathetic to internet searches, reading the same hits repeatedly and not finding out what you need to know.

But what you need, after the current deadline has been met, is to decide if you really want to learn how Logic handles these things, starting from square one.

For now, fix the parts as they appear in your Score Sets *as* parts. That is, lay them out as they will appear per instrument. That's the priority. If you have to re-enter titles, so be it. (Hopefully our Score moderator volovicg, forever helpful, can guide you here.)

My advice will leave you with a conductor's score that's a mess. Good news: only you will see it. The notes will still be there. You know what you want. So the forte sign is mis-aligned and the hairpins look horribly squashed. That's a learning curve to be solved later. For now, get the parts right. Honor your musicians.

What Logic does not do is magically adjust symbols however they are best positioned in both the part and in the conductor's score simultaneously, from the same regions in Main.

Those who score professionally with Logic (including authors of paid tutorials and books in print, many of whom contribute to LPH) will often finalize their conductor's score, then duplicate the regions for specific part layout. This is often a sobering revelation, particularly to those who come from a notation-centric program. It took me a while to accept. I fought it all the way.

So, if you have the time, copy the regions and do as the pros do. Only you know how clean the conductor's score needs to be at this late hour.

What he said... and... for starters. I do parts, then take that sequence and make a new one and make the score and make it look right. Just easier that way. I've done scores for Big Bands, string quartets and even full orchestra.. Is it easy? No, but each time I learn stuff and it gets easier and the parts and scores look better. I've never used another scoring program...in part because I like my MIDI orchestrating, audio recording and notation all in one place. (Also, I've learned Logic and don't want to learn another program as I am primarily a composer, not a music preparer (Jim!))

Aries_Violin 1.pdf

Here is workflow I like to use. You can use the track names as the names for the parts. Don't use a text object but rather an instr object which represents the region/instr/score set or all instrument depending on your display level context. Using this method - there is never overlaps or additional unwanted texts for parts or full scores which overlap. An simple example is provided below. Notice when I am in a part - The part name is the name of the track - if I change the track name - then It changes the display name for the part. You can also use the the Long name fields in the score set to set titles if you do not want to use the track names which are ( @references).

Titles.thumb.gif.2d3dcb17a6e1e26abd71084f45ef6c35.gif