Setting default volume levels on new channel strips?

Lazy M Beats

Hello,

Wondering if it's possible to set my default volume levels in logic to -6dB instead of at unity?

I usually use key commands to create new tracks and they always start at unity gain for both MIDI and audio which is louder than I'd like them to be at their starting point. Any idea of how to achieve this or if it's possible?

Hey David,

I'm talking all tracks, audio and software instruments. I like to keep them lower so that I don't run out of headroom too quickly when building up my tracks on the master channel. If I'm starting around 0dB my master will start clipping much quicker and I'll have to go back and turn down all tracks, sends and aux channels which isn't a very easy workflow for me.

I've been on a gain staging path that has been much disputed on this forum but I am happy to learn a better method if someone has some threads, videos and/or tutorials they want to throw my way. I love to do my own research when I can find the right source. I hate to take up the time of members breaking down every single reason/step!

If I'm starting around 0dB my master will start clipping much quicker and I'll have to go back and turn down all tracks, sends and aux channels which isn't a very easy workflow for me.

I would recommend you re-think your workflow rather than apply a band-aid solution like that. The Volume fader is a gain control: it modifies the level of what reaches the volume fader. What you're saying is basically that you find that everything that reaches your Volume fader is 6 dB too loud so that your Stereo Out is clipping. It should be 6 dB lower (as a starting point).

Well... why is it too loud to start with? Are you recording too high? Importing audio files that are too hot? Using software instruments turned up too loud? Are you adding too much gain when using effect plug-ins? Start there. If you're recording audio, record it 6 dB lower than you're used to. If you're importing audio file that are too hot, use the Region gain to trim down those regions by 6 dB. If your instruments are too loud, turn the output volume down by 6 dB (inside the instrument plug-in). As for your audio effect plug-ins, make sure they don't add gain: ideally, turning any of them on or off should not raise the peak level on the channel strip, and it shouldn't change the perceived loudness of the sound too much.

Thanks for the tip!

So just to be clear, you generally start with all you channel strips at unity gain and then turn down the volume within the plug-ins or input signal on audio recordings?

If I have a dance music track and I want my kick to be the most forefront element, the loudest part of the mix, you would recommend keeping unity gain and pulling down the volume within the plug-in or sample?

I'm trying to keep between -6dB and -3dB headroom in the mix for room mastering.

Many times when I'm researching gain staging, I see people recommend starting with all tracks turned down between -6 and -12dB. Is this a dated notion?

I suppose I'm also concerned about the input signal going into plug-ins like vintage hardware emulations which often have a "sweet spot". If I'm pulling down the volume my kick plug-in within the GUI of that plug-in, then it is potentially at a lower volume going into the next plug-in than I'd like it to be.

If for instance a vintage distortion unit's input sweet spot is around -3 to 0dB, wouldn't it make more sense to keep the audio source plug-in higher and then pull down the channel volume fader? I always try to level out the input and output so that the Fx plug-ins (compress, EQ, distortion, etc) are the same level going out as they are coming in.

Let's forget about recording audio for the time being as I always shoot to record vocals and instruments at -12dB.

So just to be clear, you generally start with all you channel strips at unity gain and then turn down the volume within the plug-ins or input signal on audio recordings?

No. I start with all my channel strips at unity gain and sources at a proper level so that I don't have to turn down the volume with plug-ins or the channel strip volume fader. My plug-ins should not noticeably affect the volume when I toggle them on and off. That means my sources (audio regions or software instruments without any plug-ins) are not peaking at 0 dB to start with, but instead they're peaking at a lower level, so that once I sum all my sources, the Stereo Out is peaking below 0 dB.

If I have a dance music track and I want my kick to be the most forefront element, the loudest part of the mix, you would recommend keeping unity gain and pulling down the volume within the plug-in or sample?

If it's a sample and the sample is normalized (0 dB) then use the Region inspector Gain parameter to turn it down. If it's a sampler, turn down the output volume of the sampler.

1. Insert your EQ and Compression plug-ins on a channel strip, dialed as you wish.

2. In the Library, click Save to save the patch.

3. In the Library, Control-click the patch and choose Define as default.

4. Choose Track > New Track and create a new audio track with "Load Default Patch" selected.

From now on, you can create new audio track by choosing Track > New Audio Track (Command-Option-A) and you'll have the compression and EQ.

The volume fader however will be set to zero.