"Join Regions Per Tracks" broken?

AllTheButtons
Go to solution Solved by ozinga,

I can't get Join Regions Per Track to join audio regions without it insisting on a mixdown - even when they are continuous regions that I've just that moment cut with scissors.

Even if I try it on a single track - and verify that it works with the ordinary "join regions" command or the glue tool - when I use the "Join Regions Per Tracks" command, it tells me that "Non-contiguous audio regions require the creation of a new audio file!".

Am I misinterpreting what this command is meant to do, or is it just broken? (This is in 10.4.8, the highest I can go on my machine)

Command J works for me. Just glues back the original file (if nothing is done except cutting of course). If I press just J Logic wants to create a new file though

This is what I get too (J is the per track version). Looking at the Logic instructional manual, this definitely appears to be a bug. This is what is says under “join regions per track”:

If several (mono or stereo) regions on the same track are from the same original region, and in the same relative positions, no mixdown occurs. In this case, a single region is created.

I think it's a good thing and I'll tell you why:

If you cut out a section from a Region and then Join the two new Regions, the cut section is added in again, which is complete nonsense.

If you, however, Join Per Tracks, it creates a new file with silence where you wanted silence.

Is it a bug ? Maybe, but it perfectly makes up for another bug right next to it, so use it to your advantage.

I think it's a good thing and I'll tell you why:

If you cut out a section from a Region and then Join the two new Regions, the cut section is added in again, which is complete nonsense.

If you, however, Join Per Tracks, it creates a new file with silence where you wanted silence.

Is it a bug ? Maybe, but it perfectly makes up for another bug right next to it, so use it to your advantage.

But I'm talking about a situation where you have a continuous, completely unedited audio region with nothing moved and no gaps, just a single cut with the scissor tool. This should (by both expectation and Apple's own documentation) simply 'heal' the join when I press J, as it does when I press command+J (same thing, but per track).

To be fair, I can understand why it hasn't got fixed... it seems I'm the only person for whom this is important in my workflow!

Well, now you have both options. One behaviour which works on one track, and another which works on multiple tracks.

I only have the one option if I need it on multiple tracks.

I do find the reaction to this a little confusing. It's a genuine bug, something that works differently from how the official Logic support manual says it should, and which has been confirmed by different people on this thread. It was clearly thought about and designed to work a certain way, and that way would be useful to my workflow.

Obviously I can work around it, as I can work around most bugs after 20 years using Logic professionally. And obviously Logic is used in a wide variety of ways and for other people this bug won't be a problem. But it's a bit odd that I'm being told I should like it!

I agree with Christian that the "healing" behavior is unexpected, confuses most users and ultimately follows the definition of a bug (joining two audio regions should not heal them, bringing back a previously deleted part in between the two audio regions ). I got used to it because I've been using Logic for so long but anytime a new user suffers it I sympathize with their frustration and feel odd suggesting convoluted workarounds to what should be a very simple operation.

Now obviously there could and should be a way to heal only when that doesn't mean that any deleted audio material is brought back to the track, which is the description of AllTheButtons's situation here. But maybe to heal an existing audio file only when it wouldn't bring previously deleted audio material would prove a more challenging engineering feat we're thinking? I don't know.

I believe what Christian is trying to convey is that complaining about something not behaving the exact way you would want it to behave will lead only to your own frustration. However feel free to communicate your desires for a different behavior to the Logic team (but that's a long shot): https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Now obviously there could and should be a way to heal only when that doesn't mean that any deleted audio material is brought back to the track, which is the description of AllTheButtons's situation here. But maybe to heal an existing audio file only when it wouldn't bring previously deleted audio material would prove a more challenging engineering feat we're thinking? I don't know.

It's entirely possible, but bear in mind that it is described working a certain way in the official documentation, so that was clearly the intention. If they can't get it to work, or if it turns out to suit most people working another way, I would consider changing the wording of the manual to be a reasonable bug fix.

I believe what Christian is trying to convey is that complaining about something not behaving the exact way you would want it to behave will lead only to your own frustration.

I wasn't complaining; I noticed a bug and I wanted to check with other Logic users if anyone else had experienced it, in case it was a user error or something with a known workaround. This forum is full of similar posts. What grated a little was being treated as if I was just complaining.

However feel free to communicate your desires for a different behavior to the Logic team (but that's a long shot): https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

I actually managed to get a response to that form a few years ago - an Apple engineer emailed me. But of course by the time he replied I couldn't replicate the problem :-)