Alchemy Sync not subtle

Danny Wyatt

Is this normal in any synth with sync?

I notice that there's a noticeable change in the sound in certain "amounts" of sync.

Please check the project in attachment. There's a dummy track with MIDI regions to identify the sections where there's a noticeable change in the sound, it's not subtle.

I'm only noticing this with all square waves available in alchemy

Alchemy Sync.zip

Sounds normal for hard sync to me, what were you expecting? The extremes you marked are when the offsets are at fifths apart which is normal. I agree that it sounds more intense with squares (almost like a phase shift) than with other waveforms.

I tried RetroSynth out of curiosity and noticed that with square waves the change in sync does not get as intense as in Alchemy when offset by a fifth. I'd assume the sound will be different using different instruments due to differences in the way the oscillators are modeled.

Sounds normal for hard sync to me, what were you expecting? The extremes you marked are when the offsets are at fifths apart which is normal. I agree that it sounds more intense with squares (almost like a phase shift) than with other waveforms.

I tried RetroSynth out of curiosity and noticed that with square waves the change in sync does not get as intense as in Alchemy when offset by a fifth. I'd assume the sound will be different using different instruments due to differences in the way the oscillators are modeled.

I would expect a more subtle transition, maybe the way it is with RetroSynth, as you mentioned. But yeah, I guess it's just the way each synth is built.

Thanks for your feedback!