Move all Apple Loops and Plugins to External SSD

AbelBenoie

Hello,

I have a 2016 Macbook Pro and I was wondering if there was a way to move all my Apple Loops and plugins onto an External SSD. With all the Logic Pro resources it takes more than 90 GB of storage space on my MacBook. Because of all of these files, it is bogging down my system.

Thank You!

I have not checked but on my system Apple Loops only occupy 3.39Gb. So it shouldn't be a problem even if Logic kept them on the internal HD. But if you use 3rd party Apple loops, you can put them on an external drive and create a symbolic link and put it in the user loops folder.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
was wondering if there was any possible way to download the loops directly to an external drive

Only after you used the relocate function:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208892#move

Only the Sound Library is moved—Apple Loops, Impulse Responses, and third-party content stay in their original locations on your Mac.

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208892

I recommend you leave the content that is not moved by the content relocation feature (including Apple Loops) at its original location. There is most likely a good reason Apple determined it was better not to relocate the Apple Loops, and in my experience the more you start tweaking things like that the more issues you'll run into eventually.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

There are less than 7GB of loops installed by the Logic installer, so it shouldn't make a big difference in space on your system drive. A reminder: with MacOS, for best performance, it's always best to have at least 25% of empty, available space on your system drive.