big sur - 20 NOV - the GOOD NEWS (update)

fisherking

ok, not so good news (for me, anyway); just installed the first big sur public beta... nine of my 3rd-party plugsin are not loading ("plugin isn't available on your system").

i've tried reinstalling (shows as 'installed'), deleting the audiounit cache; checked that logic is enabled in privacy (in system preferences). tried moving the components out of the AU folder, then back... & rebooting.

nothing yet. am trying to figure this out; all my other 3rd-party plugins migrated without issue, so what makes dune 3 or zebra 2 different? they don't show in the plugin manager (along with spire, icarus2... etc).

anyone have any suggestions? (besides going back to catalina, which i can do). and anyone who wants to say 'i told you so'... this is your moment. meanwhile, the umbrella academy will have to wait, as i explore this issue tonite (alcohol will be served)....

would be great, too, to hear from anyone else running os 11

Edited by fisherking

interesting that u-he plugins (zebra's effects) show up in ozone9 advanced (which works); but u-he does not show up in logic's plugin manager.

am open to ideas! am trying everything i can think of, and trying to find the common denominator...

EDIT: and no more. the zebra effects did not OPEN in ozone, and, on a rescan, no longer even show. so, for some developers, their AUs will not work in big sur.

Edited by fisherking

I upgraded my spare 2015 MacBook Pro too yesterday to the Big Sur beta out of curiosity. The Apogee Duet works with the old Catalina driver, however I also had some plugins fail to load (error: "plugin isn't available on your system") on a project. I also cleared the plugin cache and had no success. The ones that were effected for me were Sonarworks & Softtube Wiess. the other 80% Plugin alliance / Waves worked.

I saw UHE mention below that Big Sur breaks something for some AU plugins.

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7853092&utm_source=my_latest_posts&utm_medium=rssfeed&utm_content=7853092

same error here, and i tried 30 things already (includning resetting smc, nvram; even changing permissions on the 'errant' AUs).

someone on macrumors posted that logic works with over-700 plugins, but.. seems unlikely.

keeping big sur on my macbook, but on my imac, where logic lives, am going back to 10.15...

My suggestion is that you wait for a release version :)

ha, am surprised to hear that from you... 8-)

i got thru EVERY beta (not always easily) until big sur, but if i can't use essential plugins, and there's no workaround... i go back (i prepared for the possibility). this time, will wait until the developers confirm compatibility (i emailed all 7 of them this morning).

fwiw, big sur is great on my macbook (where logic doesn't live)...

been there.. bailed to cat. there are many problems once you start looking. have you tried a fresh install with data from a TM backup? It sounds like something got scrambled on a hidden file or something. I did notice that the separation of system and data partitions on BS seemed to be more restrictive than on Cat.

One thing I did out of desparation was to run a terminal command that allowed writing to the protected partition, and then replaced the auval tool with the "force auvalidation" utility of old, which worked partially to get the plugins seen. But the 3rd party plugins are generally going to be a big mess unless each gets updated. So it's either move on from them, or try to stick with an older ver of OSX as long as you need to. At some point I see the need to get rid of dozens of old plugins (and apps, and tweaks, etc) unfortunately.

With Catalina and now with Big Sur, Apple is making big changes to their underlying operating system. If you're trying to do production work, I would leave the public-betas to their intended audience: developers.

i have NO issues with logic and all my 3rd-party plugins in catalina; big sur breaks some things, and we'll see fixes from developers... at some point into the final release. but catalina is fine here...

• 1 month later...

it's actually 4:39, so... too long to watch 8-)

ok, i will watch it later, but right now, am tempted to wait. my experience currently on catalina is perfect (or, perfect enough), and not sure i want to mess with it (you should see some of the workarounds i've been thru on OS betas).

still... i will watch it and consider my options. but, either way, looking forward to when the OS is officially out, and u-he, and synapse audio et al, get on it, and we can safely move into apple's latest BS...

I have done this procedure in a slightly different way, and am actually using it on Catalina now too as well. It does work for the most part. however, note that it won't keep plugins that just crash or those with blacked out gui's from failing.

This utility has been around for years and only recently, with catalina, stopped working without the terminal workarounds because of the new protected location of the au cache. Also, not that after most os point updates you have to redo this procedure since that usually resets the auval file to it's default disable.

• 3 weeks later...

"Computer software like fine wine ... let it age." :D

Customarily, Apple is under some pressure to announce the next big thing at "Dub Dub Dee Cee" (WWDC = World-Wide Developer Conference.) So, they do, "ready or not."

I always decline the automatic-upgrade offers and wait at least a month or so after any major OS release is announced, to give the inevitable slew of "hot fixes" time to percolate out. "Interim upgrades" of your present OS are usually not a problem, but major-releases are deeply architectural and much more disruptive. The prodigious complexity of the thing simply means that they're not going to get it all right "first go," no matter how diligently they try.

I would also recommend that you ask the developers of important plug-ins about the state of compatibility, and be sure that they're basing it on the release version, not the final public-beta, which might in fact be slightly different. Let other people be the ones to work out the problems, so you can just keep making music.

• 2 weeks later...
Yesterday I installed Big Sur on an external USB drive to test it.

I really like the way it looks, seems really good with Logic Pro, but my Apogee Element 24 and UAD-2 card both don’t work, they apparently need a compatible driver that does not exist yet, so still Catalina for now.

that's what i'll do at some point (with the official release), but, as you've pointed out, we need updates from 3rd-party developers. (am running big sur on my macbook, where i don't use logic, and like it a lot too).

• 1 month later...

updated my logic mac to big sur this morning (20 november)... and... (drum roll)... all is well. all 9 plugins that wouldn't load in an early beta all load without issue. i opened numerous projects, and all play. this is good news, as, officially, very few developers have formally okay'd things with big sur.

formerly-problematic plugins in the screenshot):

AUs.png.2dca5a08d7e8709597b00d3970a05b5d.png

also continuing to work: fabfilter, izotope, nuance, phasemotion, pianoteq 7, shaperbox, sonalksis, soothe2, sublab, sylenth1, trackspacer, valhalla dsp, waves

so, am back to work, and i don't have to reinstall my cloned catalina backup... and am happy. any other big-sur related experiences, i will report here. 8-)