Sudden volume drop on instrument track (Kontakt)

jtenney
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

My problem is that I am having a serious volume drop (almost 9 db) at always the same place, on a Kontakt instrument track. Also, if I stop playback with the space bar, the volume jumps back up to its proper level. I suspect it's some strange controller issue, or some spurious value being thrown out from somewhere, but I haven't been able to trace it, either in Logic or in Kontakt (though I always suspected it wasn't the latter). This is a brand-new problem, never seen it before. Of course it may be something blindingly obvious, it wouldn't be the first time... Anyone have an idea? Thanks all!

Thank you David, as so often over the years! I had checked track automation, but not the event list. I found similar volume changes listed for other MIDI region and deleted them too. Is it possible that my controller (an M-Audio Keystation 88-es, 3-4 years old) is throwing bad messages and might need to be replaced?

• 10 months later...
David, an update here... I am having the same problem again, and this time the advice you gave me is no longer working. What's more, the volume may jump when the cursor is still and no playback is occurring. Does any other possible solution come to mind? Thanks in advance!

The issue happens less frequently now, but it still happens. I forgot to mention that this is the only Kontakt instrument track it happens on. I'm running another without issue. Should I also test other instruments (like Izotope Iris for example) to see if it happens, which could isolate it as a Kontakt problem specifically? Thanks for your help on this David!

That did it, David. I am in the habit of leaving my M-Audio midi controller turned on, and when turned off the problem disappeared. Doesn't need to be on when I'm not actually recording midi, of course, but I will keep an eye on it for eventual replacement anyway. Thanks so much for helping me through this!