Problems with GX49 and Logic Pro

garrywithtwors

Seems like my GX49 has been givin me issues lately. Sometimes a track will change volume on its own with no automation present. Whenever I turn my controller on/off, the selected track's volume also changes. I'm also unable to get any output from my controller on a track if I turn the controller on while it's selected. I have to duplicate said track and then I can get output from the duplicated version. Anyone know what might be causin all the ruckus?

Update: I was able to get snoize midi monitor to work and got the following upon turning off the midi

jJE25KX.png

Strongly believe that the channel 16 controller 20 action is what's causing the problem. Not sure where to go from here

Update2: I'm now noticing that the pitch bend wheel also causes the volume to change. it's also performing pitch bends. I'm getting the same message from the midi monitor as I do when I power cycle and volume changes, along with messages from the pitch wheel itself

Edited by garrywithtwors

Strongly believe that the channel 16 controller 20 action is what's causing the problem.

CC20 is not volume.

CC7 is volume, CC11 is expression which is related to volume. Neither are in the MIDI monitor listing.

Why do you have the controller on channel 16 anyway?

I see the same "Mackie" messages when I power cycle my Nektar P6, those are normal.

Strongly believe that the channel 16 controller 20 action is what's causing the problem.

CC20 is not volume.

CC7 is volume, CC11 is expression which is related to volume. Neither are in the MIDI monitor listing.

Why do you have the controller on channel 16 anyway?

I see the same "Mackie" messages when I power cycle my Nektar P6, those are normal.

Honestly man you're gonna have to ELI5. I have no idea what any of this means. No clue what a cc is, no idea how to set my controller channel, and I have no clue what a mackie message is. All I know is that when that channel 16 controller 20 message pops up the volume starts adjusting itself, and that's when I power on/off the controller. So even if controller 20 isn't supposed to effect volume, apparently that's what it's doing. When I press notes the midi monitor says they're coming from channel 1

I never power cycle the controller while Logic is open. I power the controller up before I launch Logic and turn it off after closing Logic. If power cycling the controller while you're running Logic is a problem, maybe don't do it?

Is the source shown in MIDI Monitor as MIDI2 your GX? Do you have any other MIDI devices connected?

I don't how much customization the GX allows and how much you may have done, but you might want to try resetting it to the factory defaults. Check the manual for how to do this. Nektar customer support is responsive, you can open a ticket with them for assistance.

-- A CC is a MIDI continuous controller message. There are 127 CCs defined, including ones for the mod wheel, expression pedals, volume knobs, program change messages and so forth. They are channel specific which is why you see channel 16 indicated.

-- The very bottom of your screen shot shows some SysEx messages with a data field that contains the word Mackie before a string of hexadecimal numbers. That's what I was referring to. Those messages appear to be normal communication between a Nektar controller and Logic since I see them in my setup, too.

I never power cycle the controller while Logic is open. I power the controller up before I launch Logic and turn it off after closing Logic. If power cycling the controller while you're running Logic is a problem, maybe don't do it?

Is the source shown in MIDI Monitor as MIDI2 your GX? Do you have any other MIDI devices connected?

I don't how much customization the GX allows and how much you may have done, but you might want to try resetting it to the factory defaults. Check the manual for how to do this. Nektar customer support is responsive, you can open a ticket with them for assistance.

-- A CC is a MIDI continuous controller message. There are 127 CCs defined, including ones for the mod wheel, expression pedals, volume knobs, program change messages and so forth. They are channel specific which is why you see channel 16 indicated.

-- The very bottom of your screen shot shows some SysEx messages with a data field that contains the word Mackie before a string of hexadecimal numbers. That's what I was referring to. Those messages appear to be normal communication between a Nektar controller and Logic since I see them in my setup, too.

Well the volume is changing on it's own without me power cycling also. Any selected track will change volume. My potentiometer has also stopped working. I've tried a factory reset for the GX but that didn't help. Been in contact with Nektar and tried what they said to do (turn the potentiometer from max/min about 20 times quickly to shake the dust loose) to no avail. They haven't responded to my most recent ticket yet. I even took it apart and looked inside to see if it could be a dust issue but there's nothing.

Also, all button pushes are registered from midi 2. All mod/pitch wheel bends and key presses are registered from midi1

edit: I'm now noticing that the pitch bend wheel also causes the volume to change. it's also performing pitch bends. I'm getting the same message from the midi monitor as I do when I power cycle and volume changes, along with messages from the pitch wheel itself

My final suggestions (run out of ideas):

-- Any recent changes in how you hook the GX up to your Mac? Using a hub? Since it is a USB powered device, perhaps a current draw issue.

-- Power up the GX but do not launch Logic, only the MIDI monitor. See if you are still seeing the controller 20 messages.

Nektar controllers do appear as multiple devices. My Panorama for instance, shows up as 4 different devices. Next time you contact Nektar tell them about the MIDI Monitor results (send them the screenshots) and ask them what MIDI 1 and MIDI 2 represent.

EDIT: I set my Nektar P6 to send CC20 messages into Logic on channel 16. It had no effect whatsoever on an existing project or a new project setup with empty audio tracks.

Good luck.

My final suggestions (run out of ideas):

-- Any recent changes in how you hook the GX up to your Mac? Using a hub? Since it is a USB powered device, perhaps a current draw issue.

-- Power up the GX but do not launch Logic, only the MIDI monitor. See if you are still seeing the controller 20 messages.

Nektar controllers do appear as multiple devices. My Panorama for instance, shows up as 4 different devices. Next time you contact Nektar tell them about the MIDI Monitor results (send them the screenshots) and ask them what MIDI 1 and MIDI 2 represent.

EDIT: I set my Nektar P6 to send CC20 messages into Logic on channel 16. It had no effect whatsoever on an existing project or a new project setup with empty audio tracks.

Good luck.

No changes whatsoever. I'm using a hub but it's powered. I've tried direct connect and using a different cord and got the same results. Same results in the midi monitor with the gx powered up and Logic off. I sent a screenshot of the midi monitor to Nektar and they suggested it might also be a power issue which is what prompted me to test the hub/cords. Oddly enough I found a semisolution. project settings > midi > uncheck control change 7/10 controls/recheck. Still getting the same messages in the midi monitor but at least it's not affecting the volume of the selected track. How do you set cc messages to go to different channels? Maybe if I can get cc20 to turn off then my tracks won't stop outputting midi when I power cycle

In Logic Pro X > Control Surfaces > Setup... Select the GX49 and check the input and output ports in the inspector to the left, I guess both should be set to "midi2" ?

I can set both to midi 1 but not midi 2....

Not sure what you're saying; what are the ports set to ? What are the options when trying to change them ? Also, in Logics preferences under "Control Surfaces", "MIDI Controllers" tab, what devices do you see ? Are they checked ?

Not sure what you're saying; what are the ports set to ? What are the options when trying to change them ? Also, in Logics preferences under "Control Surfaces", "MIDI Controllers" tab, what devices do you see ? Are they checked ?

You were saying to set the input and output ports to midi 2 but that's not an option. I can only set them both to midi1 as the output doesn't have a midi2 option. Yes they're all checked

Oddly enough I found a semisolution. project settings > midi > uncheck control change 7/10 controls/recheck. Still getting the same messages in the midi monitor but at least it's not affecting the volume of the selected track.

That's because CC7 is volume and CC10 is pan. If toggling that setting fixed things, great.

As far as the CC20 messages as long as they don't continue forever. I see in your screenshot it seems to send values increasing from 0 to 127...does it stop after that? If so, ignore.

Surprised Nektar can't tell you why the GX is sending those.

Oddly enough I found a semisolution. project settings > midi > uncheck control change 7/10 controls/recheck. Still getting the same messages in the midi monitor but at least it's not affecting the volume of the selected track.

That's because CC7 is volume and CC10 is pan. If toggling that setting fixed things, great.

As far as the CC20 messages as long as they don't continue forever. I see in your screenshot it seems to send values increasing from 0 to 127...does it stop after that? If so, ignore.

Surprised Nektar can't tell you why the GX is sending those.

No it continues intermittently at random also. Also happens when I'm moving my pitch wheel. At least I found a way to avoid it for now. Thanks for all of your help. Nektar hasn't responded for about 24 hours now but they've responded at least once/day so far so I haven't given up on them.

It sucked cause my mpk88 was broken too and I only noticed cause I went to test it after the gx49 started actin funny. The mpk88 has a whole octave of dead keys. Currently waitin on a nut driver so I can unscrew this back plate and try to clean off the contacts