what is the quickest way to copy and paste filter sweep automation?

SoSpiro
Go to solution Solved by garrywithtwors,

I am trying to copy and paste multiple filter sweeps for my pad on an audio region. I can manually do this for each parameter (high shelf frequency, high shelf gain, high shelf Q), but that would take forever. I've tried copy and pasting the same filter sweep automation for all 3 parameters on a separate empty audio region with the EQ on the channel strip, but when i copy and paste it, the slot says "unused" so it is copying the automation points, but not the actual parameters. How can i do this while maintaining the visibility of the automation points for every filter sweep? Or is there a way i can effectively copy and paste all three parameters simultaneously using empty audio regions to quicken this process? (sorry if my terminology is incorrect or if this is confusing).

Have you tried duplicating the track then option dragging the region down into the duplicated track? You should get a prompt that asks if you want to copy the automation data also

i'd still have to copy and paste each automated parameter to the different sections for all three parameters. I wanted to know if i can somehow make this easier? seems like the empty audio region method would be faster if it's possible....maybe i'm doing something wrong.

Have you tried duplicating the track then option dragging the region down into the duplicated track? You should get a prompt that asks if you want to copy the automation data also

i'd still have to copy and paste each automated parameter to the different sections for all three parameters. I wanted to know if i can somehow make this easier? seems like the empty audio region method would be faster if it's possible....maybe i'm doing something wrong.

You shouldn't if you're duplicating and option dragging. You have screen shots or maybe a screencap of what you're doin?

You shouldn't if you're duplicating and option dragging. You have screen shots or maybe a screencap of what you're doin?

not near my computer now, but i understand i have to option drag the automation points and place them to perfection on the audio region each time i want to sweep. I was wondering if i can embed the sweep in one single audio region so i can just option drag THAT instead for convenience. I have different notes and such on my audio track, so i cannot copy and paste those audio regions otherwise the audio will overlap instead of JUST the automation points. Does that make sense? Please let me know, because i always suck at explaining these things.

• Solution

not near my computer now, but i understand i have to option drag the automation points and place them to perfection on the audio region each time i want to sweep. I was wondering if i can embed the sweep in one single audio region so i can just option drag THAT instead for convenience. I have different notes and such on my audio track, so i cannot copy and paste those audio regions otherwise the audio will overlap instead of JUST the automation points. Does that make sense? Please let me know, because i always suck at explaining these things.

Yea I think I'm the one that's being confusing actually. What I was tryin to say is select the track that contains the region where you want the automation copied over. Duplicate said track (cmd+d). Then select the actual region (not it's automation) from the original track and option drag it down to the duplicated track. All of your parameters for automation should thus be copied over without that "unused" tag. Now what you're gonna have to do from there is delete the region you just option dragged without deleting the automation when the prompt comes up. Then drag/create the new region that has your desired notes into the duplicated track. Your copied automation should remain in tact. Another option is to redo the automation and record it into the region instead of the track. To do this activate automation by pressing "a". You should see track in blue, you can hit that once and it'll change to region. I was havin a similar problem to yours a couple months back and found out about both of these options accidentally

Yea I think I'm the one that's being confusing actually. What I was tryin to say is select the track that contains the region where you want the automation copied over. Duplicate said track (cmd+d). Then select the actual region (not it's automation) from the original track and option drag it down to the duplicated track. All of your parameters for automation should thus be copied over without that "unused" tag. Now what you're gonna have to do from there is delete the region you just option dragged without deleting the automation when the prompt comes up. Then drag/create the new region that has your desired notes into the duplicated track. Your copied automation should remain in tact. Another option is to redo the automation and record it into the region instead of the track. To do this activate automation by pressing "a". You should see track in blue, you can hit that once and it'll change to region. I was havin a similar problem to yours a couple months back and found out about both of these options accidentally

oh wow i don't know why i didn't think to duplicate the track. Thank you for both options! i appreciate your help.

oh wow i don't know why i didn't think to duplicate the track. Thank you for both options! i appreciate your help.

No prob! In case you didn't already use the second option, there's a third much easier option I literally just found. Right click on the region > automation > move track data to region

No prob! In case you didn't already use the second option, there's a third much easier option I literally just found. Right click on the region > automation > move track data to region

Thanks again!

on second thought, this method doesn't work because it moves the track automation to the region. i'd then have to copy and paste the region over my existing audio which overlaps it and it doesn't work....

so i tried this and it didn't work. i duplicated the track with the automation (which is a bus) and couldn't move the region i wanted to over it, because the region i'd need to copy is a a bus. i couldn't bounce it to a region because "there are no regions to bounce" for a bus. This is getting annoying and i wouldn't think something like copying and pasting automation would be so hard.