Port assignment in Logic, is it possible?

machinesworking

I'm attempting to come back to using Logic X after ten years away.

So port assignment in Logic. It's the elephant in the room for me.

In other DAWs I use, have used MIDI input into the tracks is assignable by port, i.e. I can assign my MPK88 to to a track with a piano on it, and my Linnstrument to an MPE capable track. This is true and easy in both Reaper and Bitwig for me. In Logic so far from what I remember and what is obvious, I cannot assign a MIDI controller to a specific port, only a specific channel. This of course gets in the way of setting up an MPE instrument along with a regular controller, as the MPE instrument grabs 16 channels on it's own.

So before I go deep into the environment attempting to see if I can fix this, is it even possible in Logic? or does Logic just always see all incoming MIDI by channel only??

In other DAWs I use, have used MIDI input into the tracks is assignable by port, i.e. I can assign my MPK88 to to a track with a piano on it, and my Linnstrument to an MPE capable track. This is true and easy in both Reaper and Bitwig for me. In Logic so far from what I remember and what is obvious, I cannot assign a MIDI controller to a specific port, only a specific channel. This of course gets in the way of setting up an MPE instrument along with a regular controller, as the MPE instrument grabs 16 channels on it's own.

So before I go deep into the environment attempting to see if I can fix this, is it even possible in Logic? or does Logic just always see all incoming MIDI by channel only??

Yes it only sees midi coming into tracks for recording by channel. If you need to record from multiple ports at the same time, using the same midi channel from each port...you're basically SOL.

I wish they would change this, but as you can see from other responses, that opinion is not universal and Apple is unlikely to change it anytime soon...

what are you trying to do specifically?

ps - one thing you can do which might get around the frustration is that its possible in the environment to automatically bump or set the midi channel coming from each midi device port...so that they will arrive in the sequencer channelized to different channels from each device...then you can record to separate tracks at the same time, even if all devices are, for example, using midi channel 1...

Yes it only sees midi coming into tracks for recording by channel. If you need to record from multiple ports at the same time, using the same midi channel from each port...you're basically SOL.

I wish they would change this, but as you can see from other responses, that opinion is not universal and Apple is unlikely to change it anytime soon...

what are you trying to do specifically?

Thanks for the reply dewdman42, I run into you all over music forums! :)

I remember being able to do some sort of separation of ports by taking all of them out of SUM in the Click and Ports layer of the Environment, but I remember that breaking controller support for Mackie etc.

It's pretty crazy that it's still an issue to me. I'm sitting here with a BeatStep Pro doing drums in Battery on a track, but unless I take all tracks out of the All setting, and assign channel 10 to the Battery track, I'm getting BeatSteps sequencer on any track I select, and obviously I can't do anything MPE until I lay down the Beatstep sequence. This is one of those things where people have no idea how good it can be IMO. Reaper and Bitwig have zero issues with MPE instruments like the Linnstrument assigned to an MPE instrument while another track recieves a sequence from Beatstep or I have the MPK88 playing another VI on a different track.

The thing is though, Logic hit the golden triad for me recently, Clip based sequencing with it's grid launcher, and MPE and Articulation maps. Plus just being an old school DAW like Reaper or DP10, with all the features, no hand holding. I love how fast the GUI is, but the record arm switching is weirdly slow. I'm in the market for an iPad, that new Logic Control is just a thing of beauty. In the search for a solid MPE DAW it's funny watching my various controllers get attention or get ignored by them. Bitwig and Reaper love the Push 2 and BeatStep, no support from Slate for the Raven. Logic loves the MPK88, has some issues with the Linnstrument and the BeaStep and ignores the Push 2.

Anway I'll bear with it, I remember having a solid fast workflow with Logic 4-8, an if I'm gonna stay on mac it's probably a good idea at the very least to be comfortable with the DAW that's already compatible with the upcoming Apple Silicon macs.

Midi Midi From all ports arrive on the selected track

Unless you cable the physical input differently

And my opinion only - hope they don’t change it -

Why? If you've ever used Reaper, Live, Bitwig, DP, they all easily do this. They also all have an "all" setting, where you can just flip around to various tracks and any controller you touch sends MIDI to that track.

It's a missing feature, I can't see a single advantage to it.

I thought my response would provoke some interesting feedback.

1/ Port assignments where more than 16 midi tracks are needed would be a good idea ( MPC, Complex studios, etc)

2/ It would make it more intuitive for a newbie to understand.

3/ I can route anything to anywhere today - so long as I don't need more than 16 Midi channel to be used simultaneously

Cons

1/ It will likely break/change or modify the behavior fo the physical input object which would change the compatibility of the thousands of custom environments that have been created.

2/ There are times that I don't care what ports it coming in on... It may be from my MIOXL, an RTP network connection etc - and I want it to arrive on the select track... I want to decide where the signal routing goes from there. For every problem you solve - you likely create other problems.

3/ There is nothing that cannot be done ( routing wise) with the current architecture that can be done in one of the other DAW.

This is my opinion only - I leave the continued debate and discussion to the members.

One interesting question ask yourself - this request has been around for more than 20 years. Why has it not been implemented? ( more good discussion I presume will follow).

It's likely not been implemented all this time because as A) it really only affects a small amount of people - who have vast amounts (more than 16) of external MIDI keyboards and want to record them all at once - the normal use case is someone has a master keyboard or two and is using that to play all their instruments via Logic - and B), it's a conceptual and foundational part of the MIDI Environment, which routes regular MIDI data around virtual cables, and the Environment is old and the code hasn't been touched for ages.

In order to retain port information through to the arrange window tracks (which are all environment objects and environment routing if you didn't realise), then either the Environment must be significantly changed or upgraded (a cable now would need to be no longer a single MIDI cable worth of MIDI data, it would need to carry non-MIDI data such as port ID's per message etc) *and* all the environment objects upgraded to handle this, but they would also need to retain compatibility with old projects too.

Because of this, my *guess* would be that the day you see that there is now an incoming MIDI Port/channel option on tracks in the arrange window is the day that the Environment gets ripped out and removed from Logic completely, and all you are left with is MIDI plugins on regular tracks to process any MIDI data.

I've no idea what the numbers are, but I'd imagine that 90% of people who have come to Logic in the last decade, say from Logic 9.x onwards, would probably be like "So what, I've never even opened it, who cares? Rip it out etc" while us old long timers get very sweaty and nervous...

The environment is not likely to be ripped out or else Apple would have done so a long time ago. It flies against everything Apple stands for in ui design and app usability. Look at mainstage to see how Apple would go about it if they were designing it.

But the environment is really the building block upon which all of logicpro is based, it cannot easily be tossed away without rebuilding logicpro from the ground up. And that would be a big and expensive task which would likely result in a completely new app that doesn’t even work the same way in hundreds of other ways. That defeats the purpose of even purchasing emagic in the first place. It ain’t gonna happen.

That being said I find it appalling that Apple doesn’t keep the environment updated better, there are significant bugs and short comings that absolutely could be fixed. I see no reason it wouldn’t be possible to have the physical input object with all the port cables but also a way to just send the sum into sequencer and still have the sequencer be able to identify the device port each event is coming from and directly assign port explicitly to a track like every other daw on the planet.

I see no reason why articulation id couldn’t be exposed in the environment and to environment objects such as transformer, for example also.

AU3 port is another kind of port that is also not exposed in the environment.

We can think of numerous things I’m sure that have lagged behind in the environment and even the look and feel of the environment ui is very dated and un-Apple-like. I’m 100% confident that if it were easy to change Apple would have done so a long time ago. But I think most likely the internals of logicpro are such that big architectural changes to the old environment code would open a huge can of worms that they would rather not touch. So the environment continues to be left alone, looking ancient, Receiving no improvements or changes that would risk a litany of unintended consequences in other areas of the program.

It is what it is. This is logicpro for better or worse. Unlikely to change in this area.

2/ There are times that I don't care what ports it coming in on... It may be from my MIOXL, an RTP network connection etc - and I want it to arrive on the select track... I want to decide where the signal routing goes from there. For every problem you solve - you likely create other problems.

3/ There is nothing that cannot be done ( routing wise) with the current architecture that can be done in one of the other DAW.

2/ In DAWs the separate by port you can decide to receive all ports and all channels. Since Logic already receives all ports, and separates by channel, I would doubt that any change would change this fundamental behavior. I'm not saying it's trivial, but Logic already sees all ports, it just sums them on input.

3/ Yes, there are definitely things routing wise that other DAWs have no issues with, external sequencers and arpeggiators, and now MPE instruments, really point out this odd design choice of Emagic's back in the day. Past the input stage I suppose is what you meant.

One interesting question ask yourself - this request has been around for more than 20 years. Why has it not been implemented? ( more good discussion I presume will follow).
I would bet 90% of DAW users have one controller keyboard. The same reason Digital Performer doesn't have key note zone limiting on MIDI tracks as an option, or Bitwig and Live don't do SysEx or NRPN. Only a small portion of people do anything complex with MIDI.

As far as it changing in the future though, DP10 introduced object oriented MIDI for the first time to DP in Clips. Of course this was met with grumblings from the regulars because it changes the way looping works in DP, all looped MIDI became Clips. Any time object oriented MIDI was brought up over the years plenty of people objected to it.

MOTU are a smaller company, so there's less likely death by committee. The owner does what he wants. Considering it's a "film composers DAW" I don't think a single person expected them to introduce Clips before they got some sort of articulation management for example.

• 5 weeks later...

A month later.

I'm sitting here surrounded by my set up, MPK88, Seaboard Block, Linnstrument, Beatstep Pro, and Push 2. Plus a Moog with a keyboard attached. Six possible input sources, two MPE devices. I'm sitting in front of one of the worlds most powerful DAWs, developed by the worlds richest company, and lowly Bitwig and Reaper, with less combined staff, let's be honest here, probably 1/8 of the staff combined. both DAWs can have two separate tracks with MPE controllers assigned, plus the other 4 with their own ports and channels as well.

I had no idea how often I relied on the ability to test out ideas against each other before commiting MIDI, but it's a real WTF moment to not be able to. Even Live and DP which do not do MPE natively can still have multiple MIDI controllers assigned to various virtual instruments and hardware, along with the 16 separate tracks it takes for an MPE instrument.

Anyway, weird limitation, I might try hardwiring the MPE controller port to an instrument track and see if I can figure out how to permanently set it. Not sure that would really work though. Seems like you would have to separate all MIDI from SUM, I'm afraid that will break some things.

Not sure that would really work though. Seems like you would have to separate all MIDI from SUM, I'm afraid that will break some things.

As FuzzFilth pointed out it would break the ability for the data to reach the Sequencer Input object, meaning the Tracks area. Which means you could no longer record that MIDI data. Other than that it would work as expected.

Anyway, weird limitation, I might try hardwiring the MPE controller port to an instrument track and see if I can figure out how to permanently set it. Not sure that would really work though. Seems like you would have to separate all MIDI from SUM, I'm afraid that will break some things.

I feel your pain. This is one area I wish LogicPro would change, but I doubt they will, certainly not soon.

Just to be clear, you can't hardwire any midi devices directly to an instrument "track". You can wire midi devices directly to instrument "channel"!. You may or may not already know this, but in LogicPro, there is a distinction between track and channel, that is obscured by the fact that when you create an instrument "track", an instrument channel is automatically created for you and assigned to the track that you are also creating.

DP is similar actually except in the presentation it looks different you actually see a midi track and have to assign it to an instrument track. In logicPro, there is the tracks area, with actual tracks...and there is the mixer area with channels...and they are actually two separate things that are linked together. Linked together so much that they have the same name, when you click on one, the other is selected at the same time, etc.. but nonetheless, they are separate things and they can be separated as well, you can have channels that don't belong to any track, for example, and you can have tracks that send to nothing else (which would be like having a DP midi track that isn't directed to an instrument track).

Ok... that behind us... Now you have the following signal flow for all your midi end to end coming into LPX:

midi devices--->mid environment (port object)--->SUM output by default-->sequencer object-->hits all tracks-->destination "instrument"

So first some explanation, in the above, by default all midi devices are SUM'd and sent over a single cable to the sequencer object. The sequencer object receives all midi from all midi devices (in the SUM) and there is no information in the midi events themselves that let's you know which device it came from. From there, the current live track that receives the midi input will record it if desired and forward it through to whatever the track is connected to. If its connected to an instrument channel, the most likely case, then the instrument mixer channel will receive it. It could alternatively be routed to an environment object and you could do anything you want in the environment from there, including eventually cable it to one or more instrument channels.

alright, so hopefully you see the problem is that even if you separate out the different midi devices to cable them somewhere, you can only cable them either to the Sequencer object (which is a bottleneck that loses midi device id), or you can cable them directly to an instrument "channel", and that will work but if you cable it to an instrument channel, then you can't record it! It has to go through the sequencer in order to record it.

So yes you can easily setup an environment that will cable your different devices to different instrument channels and play around all day long with your midi devices all using different sounds in LogicPro's mixer...but when it comes time to record some midi, you'll need to re-cable them to the sequencer, and if you intend to actually record midi from more than one midi controller at a time, then there is further complication that I won't get into now.

You can use Environment switches to make it easy to switch back and forth between (6 controllers controlling 6 instrument channel strips) mode, vs you-need-to-record-the-midi of one of them mode.

There is also a way to direct midi from the Sequencer object to specific tracks based on midi channel. Typically, incoming midi is directed to the currently selected track header. That track becomes the "live" track and receives all midi coming through the Sequencer environment object. But there is a special mode you can put LogicPro into where it will cause midi events to be separated out and sent to the midi tracks matching the midi channel. I find this mode kind of difficult to work with honestly, but others here will have more to say about it. You could at least in theory put each of your controllers on a a different midi channel and then all incoming midi could be recorded to separate tracks if desired...with the default routing to 6 different instrument channels.

Basically, a horizontal arrange "track" always has an environment object assigned to it, which tells Logic which kind of track it is. If an audio object is assigned to that track, it acts like an audio track. If it's assigned a software instrument object, it acts like a MIDI track etc etc.

You can assign *any* environment object to one or more arrange window track/s.

Just to be clear, you can't hardwire any midi devices directly to an instrument "track". You can wire midi devices directly to instrument "channel"!. You may or may not already know this, but in LogicPro, there is a distinction between track and channel, that is obscured by the fact that when you create an instrument "track", an instrument channel is automatically created for you and assigned to the track that you are also creating.

DP is similar actually except in the presentation it looks different you actually see a midi track and have to assign it to an instrument track. In logicPro, there is the tracks area, with actual tracks...and there is the mixer area with channels...and they are actually two separate things that are linked together. Linked together so much that they have the same name, when you click on one, the other is selected at the same time, etc.. but nonetheless, they are separate things and they can be separated as well, you can have channels that don't belong to any track, for example, and you can have tracks that send to nothing else (which would be like having a DP midi track that isn't directed to an instrument track).

Ok... that behind us... Now you have the following signal flow for all your midi end to end coming into LPX:

midi devices--->mid environment (port object)--->SUM output by default-->sequencer object-->hits all tracks-->destination "instrument"

So first some explanation, in the above, by default all midi devices are SUM'd and sent over a single cable to the sequencer object. The sequencer object receives all midi from all midi devices (in the SUM) and there is no information in the midi events themselves that let's you know which device it came from. From there, the current live track that receives the midi input will record it if desired and forward it through to whatever the track is connected to. If its connected to an instrument channel, the most likely case, then the instrument mixer channel will receive it. It could alternatively be routed to an environment object and you could do anything you want in the environment from there, including eventually cable it to one or more instrument channels.

alright, so hopefully you see the problem is that even if you separate out the different midi devices to cable them somewhere, you can only cable them either to the Sequencer object (which is a bottleneck that loses midi device id), or you can cable them directly to an instrument "channel", and that will work but if you cable it to an instrument channel, then you can't record it! It has to go through the sequencer in order to record it.

So yes you can easily setup an environment that will cable your different devices to different instrument channels and play around all day long with your midi devices all using different sounds in LogicPro's mixer...but when it comes time to record some midi, you'll need to re-cable them to the sequencer, and if you intend to actually record midi from more than one midi controller at a time, then there is further complication that I won't get into now.

You can use Environment switches to make it easy to switch back and forth between (6 controllers controlling 6 instrument channel strips) mode, vs you-need-to-record-the-midi of one of them mode.

Great explanation thanks, it's been years since I did anything in the Environment but I remember doing something where I took all MIDI input sources in Cluck and Ports got rid of SUM and wired them individually to the Sequencer Input in order to solve some issue related to this. I don't think it solves this particular issue though, and I remember it having issues with Mackie controllers, which I would assume will now translate to issues with Logics control surface support in general. Plus I think I'm making the same mistake I made back then, taking things out of SUM just allows you to do things like attach and arpeggiator to a specific controller, it's the Sequencer Input that's summing the ports.

There is also a way to direct midi from the Sequencer object to specific tracks based on midi channel. Typically, incoming midi is directed to the currently selected track header. That track becomes the "live" track and receives all midi coming through the Sequencer environment object. But there is a special mode you can put LogicPro into where it will cause midi events to be separated out and sent to the midi tracks matching the midi channel. I find this mode kind of difficult to work with honestly, but others here will have more to say about it. You could at least in theory put each of your controllers on a a different midi channel and then all incoming midi could be recorded to separate tracks if desired...with the default routing to 6 different instrument channels.

Yeah it's the "Auto Demix by Channel if Multitrack Recording", setting in the project recording options. It's.... different than it used to be. Logic seems to be trying very hard to disarm any track that's not currently being played, I'm still trying to figure out how to turn these settings off, tracks when you load a project, some tracks are completely unloaded, and take one or two seconds to load the first time you arm them. Weird housekeeping scheme, probably useful if you have 120 tracks of AUi's etc.

Since MPE instruments ask for 16 channels but in my and most peoples cases we're not doing anything where you need all 16, it's easy though to assign 2-15 to the MPE instrument in the case of the Linnstrument, then use channel one for basic instruments etc. So a basic set up can be done where the MPE instrument gets it's own hardware exclusively. The comparison to the way it works in Bitwig or Reaper is sad though. In either of those DAW all controllers can be assigned to a specific virtual instrument, and you can do things like take the generic All input port and route it to the MPE track, so regular MIDI and MPE controllers controlling the same sound, at the same time. Along with say the moog's keyboard playing only it's own sound. Not to mention being able to arm two MPE tracks at the same time with separate MPE controllers playing each track.

It's I think really a problem that doesn't rear it's ugly head if you only use Logic, have a smaller studio, or never really thought of using multiple MIDI controllers at once. I just got spoiled by the other DAWs I've used.

I don't disagree with you that I wish LogicPro would allow us to explicitly assign input midi ports to tracks for recording. Many LogicPro users really like the existing approach because they can use their midi controller and quickly just click on a track header to get auto-magic assignment of the SUMMED ports there... And that is definitely handy. I feel they could do the best of both worlds if they put their mind to it. Cubase can do that, for example, no reason why LogicPro couldn't also do that. but anyway it is what it is...

Since you need so many midi channels for MPE, I think the demix modes would be very confusing to deal with. Others may comment more about it. There are some poorly documented behaviors for how that feature in LogicPro works exactly, how the sequencer object routes events to which armed tracks...it goes down the list of tracks looking for a destination that can take it and if it can't find a destination it still makes sure something takes it, etc. I can't remember the details, because generally I find that mode too problematic, if I accidentally click on a track header, then it disarms stuff, etc.. as you said, For me its a poor solution and I don't like it. Others will disagree and perhaps they may offer some suggestions for how to use it with your setup.

What I would do if I were you though, is to setup a more elaborate environment with switches that can switched from the mode of all 6 controllers feeding the instruments you want....or picking one of them for recording (with a switch in the environment) and then just record from one controller at a time, or maybe two...and use the environment to filter which controllers and which midi channels even go through the sequencer object bottleneck. Once you create that setup, save it in a project template and just start from that every time.

That way you can arm a single track for record (do not use demix mode), and with the right environment switch enabled, play your MPE controller and record 16 channels of stuff into a single midi region.

click a switch to enable a different controller, etc..

or use a switch to send them all directly to instruments so that you can play all 6 controllers with your two arms and two legs at the same time somehow to mess around.

I don't disagree with you that I wish LogicPro would allow us to explicitly assign input midi ports to tracks for recording. Many LogicPro users really like the existing approach because they can use their midi controller and quickly just click on a track header to get auto-magic assignment of the SUMMED ports there... And that is definitely handy. I feel they could do the best of both worlds if they put their mind to it. Cubase can do that, for example, no reason why LogicPro couldn't also do that. but anyway it is what it is...

In the search for the best MPE DAW I ended up buying Logic again, Reaper and Bitwig. I already owned Live and DP. Only Logic has the port limitation, all of the others default to All channels/ports and can be used like you describe, only DP has a slight limitation there in that you cannot get all ports along with all channels in multi Record Mode if I recall correctly, but with that mode turned off it behaves exactly like Logic does in the All setting. There's not a single real world advantage to summing all ports to 16 channels only, it's a leftover from earlier days, and IMO I see no reason changing it would break existing setups. Not saying it would be easy or worth it for the Logic team to do it, but it's not a prerequisite for any of Logic's unique behavior compared to other DAWs.

or use a switch to send them all directly to instruments so that you can play all 6 controllers with your two arms and two legs at the same time somehow to mess around.
:) I'm primarily a guitar player, I can play keys enough to write, but auditioning sounds and simple melodies against each other is pretty cool, a bass sound on a regular synth and something on an MPE etc. Mostly you get used to be able to do this and it's bizarre not to be able to. I separated out my Moog to channel 16 years ago in Logic to be able to do this.

Auto Demix by Channel is definitely different now, I hopped off Logic at version 8 so it's been a while, but it's behavior is kind of compromised, it works, but there's a delay at first, you have to "prime" the track..

go here to submit feature requests to Apple

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

(don't hold your breath though)

Regarding auto demix, there are others on this forum with more experience and you can get a lot by searching the forum too, there are some really old discussions that get into the nitty gritty. I think you can get it to kind of work generally, but you have to know how and when to click where in just the right way, which I do not know because i never use that mode.

I think your setup is sophisticated enough that creating an environment switch setup would be a good way to go though, if you want to entertain the discussion.

Logic is in the stone age when it comes to this basic ability, the need for Auto Demix to explode the resulting performance into tracks by MIDI channel is ridiculous too as it only works if you have multiple tracks primed beforehand, which means you can't just loop and jam across devices to make music by punching in and out.

The amount of times in Logic where i have to stop, re-prime everything and hope it demixes into the correct tracks just annoys me. But i appreciate it's something that affects the minority for sure... Yet many people promote that Logic excels at MIDI - when it doesn't, it falls at the first hurdle in such categories.

And it's not only an issue if you have more than 16 channels to assign, it's an issue if you have any kind of external gear that generates a sequence or arp that runs alongside your project - because it will just spill into one of the MIDI tracks that you have record enabled.

By that i mean that Drum Machines will start playing virtual synths that you have record enabled, even if you have Auto Demix running and MIDI Channels assigned accordingly - Demix only works if multiple tracks are enabled, and you have to prime it beforehand too.

Second to that, if you have a relatively modern workstation, like a Montage, MODX, Fantom, FA etc. They are always in multitimbral/sound set modes by default - which means a preset is actually made up of multiple layers of voice presets controlled via multiple MIDI channels, this includes splits and arps within each channel which triggers as you play.

With one sound preset, it's really not that uncommon whereby 5- 6 MIDI channels are being utilised, and all sending out different data based on the performance.

Auto Demix by Channel is definitely different now, I hopped off Logic at version 8 so it's been a while, but it's behavior is kind of compromised, it works, but there's a delay at first, you have to "prime" the track..

Make something like this in the environment:

6controllers.thumb.jpg.195207822de55102f37d73283d7f2517.jpg

There very well could be an easier way.

But anyway, with the above you could basically turn off record mode, and have all six of your controllers routed directly to up to 6 instruments in your project template. Turn on record mode, then all midi input goes to whichever track you have selected and record enabled.

There are ways to take the above scary diagram and consolidate it down to a nice little UI panel with one button and 6 instrument selectors... (see next post)

Edited by Dewdman42

I guess you can move those 7 controls to their own layer and then you can have a nice tidy little panel like this:

panel.jpg.325acb3b7e39d184fe47acb94a358807.jpg

There are ways to use colors and borders but that's getting beyond my pay grade...

But anyway once you have a window like that you can just put it somewhere on your screen and then quickly enable record mode or not or change which instrument each controller is being routed too directly.

here is a project template you can use to get started. Its configured for MY 5 midi controllers so for you to use it you have to open the clicks and ports page of the enviornment and cable each of the midi device ports you intend to use to the 6 monitors you see near them. Then it should work as described above.

inputmattermacro.logicx.zip