Best way to do a fresh install of Mojave after going to Catalina

Compressor61

I could kick myself for going to Catalina from Mojave. Too many problems even with the latest Catalina update. not even talking about 32 bit apps and plugins, don't need those anymore. So I am prepared to wipe my SSD and do a fresh install of Mojave. Can anyone recommend the best way to do this? I've got all my files and projects stored on an external drive and a full time Machine backup plus been using BackBlaze.I just want to start completely fresh and reinstall Logic and everything else.

Thanks!

Don

If you did a TM backup of Catalina, Migration Assistant won't work for a OS downgrade.

You gonna have to install everything from scratch.

Go into recovery mode (reboot while holding command-R) and reinstall the original OS the machine came with.

But if you have Mojave or High Sierra installer on a bootable flash drive, then you just have to wipe the drive from the installer.

Thanks for the help here. I think the machine came with High Sierra and I’d like to get back to Mojave. if I do the Cmd-R restore and it puts high Sierra on the drive, I don’t think I can update to Mojave thru system update right? That will only push me to Catalina again where I dare not tread.

Let's see, were to begin with my symptoms and pain since going to Catalina. Dramatic increase in CPU overload errors, phantom CPU usage up to 25% when a project isn't even playing yet with no other apps/browsers open on the machine. logic crashes on opening certain projects that never crashed before the Catalina upgrade, strange midi audio sync errors. Now I must admit that I also went to Logic 10.5.1 right after going to Catalina, so maybe there's something in that combination. I was already at 10.5 on Mojave. I do use a lot of virtual instruments and plugins, but I know how to minimize CPU usage, freeze and bounce to audio, use plugins on sends vs individual tracks. I've taken all those measures and still am having big issues. Some projects I can't even get four bars of a chorus or verse to play without a CPU overload. I am beginning to resign myself to needing a more powerful machine, but want to exhaust all possibilities on this one first.

got it. am also on LX 10.5.1, and the latest catalina... and 97% of my plugins are 3rd party (& i use a lot of automation, fx).

you could try resetting the nvram, the smc. also... which mac? what's the processor, the ram?

if you're going back to mojave, none of this matters. but there's usually a way forward... anyway, good luck sorting it out!

Not going to help you now, but you might consider Carbon Copy for such things in the future, have had to use it a few times for similar problems. I have an external drive set in two partitions, Partition 1 is a 1GB Carbon Copy Clone partition and Partition 2 is a 5TB Time Machine (and other storage) partition. Time Machine is OK for most restores, however, Carbon Copy in this case could restore your previous Mojave set-up exactly as you left it. Also good for data migrations to new SSD drive, etc.. Very good and reasonable priced product.

Regards

I don't, have used Carbon Copy for many years, never used Super Duper. I have read Super Duper has a freeware version with limited functionality which may hook a lot of new users. Also that they may be slightly faster than CCC but that is about all I know about it. I suspect either one can probably get you out of trouble just as well as the other:)

If you have trouble downloading the Mojave installer, then check out DosDude's patcher.

http://dosdude1.com/mojave/

You don't need to actually "patch" anything, but if you run his patcher, it has a menu item for directly downloading the Mojave installer. So download the installer, either with that or if you are lucky you might be able to get from Apple but lots of people have problems getting it from Apple, sometimes it depends on whether you had downloaded it from them in the past already. DosDude just does a direct link to the Official Apple download also from his patcher. Don't run the patcher or anything just use it to download the installer.

In order to wipe your drive completely you will need to create a bootable USB drive, which can be done on a USB stick if you have one. Google to find out more about how to create a bootable USB drive, DosDude might have instructions for that on his site, not sure, but you can find many instructions about it.

Copy the installer to that bootable drive also.

boot from the USB and when it comes up to a GUI you can use, use the menubar to access Disk Utility to wipe your drive clean and then run the installer.

As others have noted, you won't be able to migrate your apps and settings from Catalina. But If I were in your shoes I would do exactly the same thing, clean install with Mojave.

and burn it on a bootable USB drive or DVD. Then you can boot with the USB drive, and during install you can use the menu to access Disk Utility from that

Thanks all! I’m trying to take all this in and plot my course. I’m trying to see if I can determine which plugins I use are the biggest CPU hogs. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do that? The CPU monitor in Logic is pretty limited in functionality. My main 3rd party plugins are from waves, soundtoys, Izotope and IKmultimedia. Is there a list somewhere that rates/ranks plugins from a resource consumption perspective?

Much appreciated

Don