Automation Regions/Automation Tracks Window

TheUncannyValley
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I recently “discovered” the version of the Tracks window with automation regions.

It seems like it would be useful when manipulating automation on many regions at once. Are there any other common uses for it that someone can share? Or is it a holdover from much earlier versions?

It also seems like a window where one should tread lightly & slowly since (I think) it mirrors the All Objects environment layer.

Thanks in advance.

I recently “discovered” the version of the Tracks window with automation regions.
Do you mean the difference between RBA vs TBA? (RBA: region based automation; TBA: track based automation)

It seems like it would be useful when manipulating automation on many regions at once.
Transform could be another approach.

Are there any other common uses for it that someone can share? Or is it a holdover from much earlier versions?
RBA is convenient when transporting automation to other applications, providing that the automation consist of MIDI events (i.e. CC)

It also seems like a window where one should tread lightly & slowly since (I think) it mirrors the All Objects environment layer.
??

Thanks in advance.
You're welcome!

• Solution

That window is not meant to be user accessible and is a way to display how Logic handles Track automation data "under the hood", you should generally edit your track automation using the regular automation curves in automation view instead. It can be useful once in a while in some very specific edge case troubleshooting procedures, but other than that it's better not to mess with it.

That window is not meant to be user accessible and is a way to display how Logic handles Track automation data "under the hood", you should generally edit your track automation using the regular automation curves in automation view instead. It can be useful once in a while in some very specific edge case troubleshooting procedures, but other than that it's better not to mess with it.

Thank you David. I had a gut feeling that the "Automation Tracks/Regions" window wasn't really meant for everyday user editing.

After some fast moving edits, I'd accidentally clicked on and/or moved automation regions on hidden tracks, and touched all sorts of things that obviously shouldn’t have been touched…

I was hoping either you, Ski, SFLogic Ninja or any other people with inside access would reply so I could get a definitive answer about that window's status. Thanks again!

Sorry, I realize that again being off the track...

But, how do one access that infamous "Automation Tracks/Regions" window?

At least for the sake to be warned of what it looks like if it happens that I fall on it one day...

Thanks for your post from yesterday, Atlas007. As you can see, I was asking about something different.

At least on my machine (running v. 10.2.4), the Automation Tracks window opens the way David described, but only when the Automation Event List has focus. So, immediately after opening the Automation event list with Ctrl-Cmd-E, while it has focus, press Command-1 and the Automation Tracks window should open.

Tread lightly. This morning I deleted multiple track stacks and Drum Machine Designer instances in my current project, adding up to over 60 tracks, and when I just opened that weird window, they were all still in there - but not in the Environment. So yeah, it doesn’t seem like that window is something meant for general use.

I knew about that window (named Automation Event List)

Yes, but here we are talking about another window: the one that opens when you choose Window > Open Main Window while the Automation Event List is in key focus.

Oh! That is something I never tried...

I'll definitely will try to see what is all about but with caution.

Could that be considered as some kind of an "Easter egg"?

Could that be considered as some kind of an "Easter egg"?

Hard to tell! Maybe they created this behavior on purpose, maybe not, go figure. My guess is even the Automation Event List wasn't originally created to be user accessible, but as with many things that were supposed to be reserved for programmers, they let us access it so that we can use it for troubleshooting etc.