folder size vs disk space used is a problem

judasdisco

up on a drive.

However, my Logic files are alarmingly large.

a simple pop song with some audio and midi is says it is 153 MB but is taking up 19+ GB (!!) of hard drive space.

You will see some examples in the screen shot attached.

i.e. a folder titled EP2020 has 6 pop songs in it. It is taking up 73GB of space !!

I'm running out of space whenever I add a new instrument.

I have gone into individual sessions and deleted unused audio and it is having very little (if any) impact.

any thoughts?

I appreciate any direction.

thanks.

348468801_ScreenShot2020-08-27at10_54_48PM.thumb.png.93120109816361dae99f10fefe73a769.png810062381_ScreenShot2020-08-28at10_33_25AM.png.c1e3ea501b423d58a85ab8501fb76287.png146129850_ScreenShot2020-08-28at10_36_10AM.png.e9cf6b9de4f481b0580b3d35cdc5a7ae.png

My Logic files are alarmingly large.

a simple pop song with some audio has a file size of 153 MB but is taking up 19+ GB (!!) of hard drive space.

You will see some examples in the screen shots attached.

i.e. a folder titled EP2020 has 6 pop songs in it. It is taking up 73GB of space !!

Individual audio files read in Disk Storage Management (Mac) as 2.13 GB (for a simple guitar track) but show in the Audio File folder in Finder as 8.1 MB.

I'm super confused. I have gone into individual sessions and deleted unused audio and it is having very little (if any) impact.

I'm running out of space whenever I add a new instrument.

any thoughts?

I appreciate any direction.

thanks.

Ordinarily, the "space used" value will be slightly larger than the "file size", but not much. I think aliases and symlinks are an exception to this. Space Used will include any extended attributes associated with the file. Not sure why your files would have extended attributes, let alone that large. You can use the command line tool xattr to list the extended attributes. for example: xattr -lv | more

You can use xattr -d to remove extended attributes. Be sure to back up your files first.

It's suspicious to me that all those .aif files are the same size (2.13 Gb).

Edited by cleamon

Well, I ran 10.0.7 on Sierra for two years and had no issues like that, I've also tried it a little on Mojave 10.14.6 and it seemed to work. I guess downgrade to Mojave if you want to stay on 10.0.7, or update Logic. Remember that you can save a copy of the 10.0.7 app if you change your mind later...

Well, I ran 10.0.7 on Sierra for two years and had no issues like that, I've also tried it a little on Mojave 10.14.6 and it seemed to work. I guess downgrade to Mojave if you want to stay on 10.0.7, or update Logic. Remember that you can save a copy of the 10.0.7 app if you change your mind later...

Jakob! I'm so grateful! thanks for you taking the time to point me in the right direction.

I upgraded Logic to 10.5.1. It completely solved the file size issue.

I hope I like it as much as 10.0.7 (but I saved that version on your advice).

Big thanks!