Articulation Sets on AUX Channels

Leandro Gardini

It seems to work for the summing stack AUX too. I think basically it will work when midi is relevant. An aux bus with no midi signal path to an actual instrument plugin....would be irrelevant for midi....so perhaps they don't bother providing midi related parameters such as articulation set in that case.

Of course, like I said, senior moment.

Thank you, guys. I guess you mean it's possible if we create an aux track and then hit 'create track' by clicking on it in the mixer. It works fine but not for my case because I lose the midi port.

I am using LPX with all instruments loaded on VEPRO. I've merged a bunch of instruments into a single VEPRO instance and I am using the AG VEPRO Multi-Instance script on Kontakt libraries to switch articulations.

I've also added some other non Kontakt instruments (that don't have the AG script). Since articulations sets don't seem to see midi ports, I am trying to find a way to use the articulations sets with them.

I have, for example, Hollywood 1st Violins loaded on port 2 midi channel 6. In this way, I can only control whichever articulation is loaded into channel 6 of Play.

I have created different outputs for each string library on the VEPRO instance. They are all set to a different aux track in LP. The intention is to have different amounts of sends to the reverbs.

I have, for example, all 5 sessions of Hollywood Strings routed to out 7/8 on VEPRO.

I have on LP an aux track receiving from out7/8.

In my case, I understand that the articulation set should be put in the real midi channel (before the aux for reverb sends).

It is a puzzling situation for me. Any idea?

Edited by Leandro Gardini

I'm not following everything you're saying entirely...but...

The AUX track trick for sending midi to aux tracks and have them automatically routed to the instrument...has been an undocumented feature in LogicPro for a while. Its not surprising to me that Apple overlooked adding the AU3 port parameter. You can always try to submit a feature request to them, but its kind of an undocumented feature and I suspect it will be limited to 16 midi channels. It has a few other little idiosyncrasies, I can't remember them all, but for one thing, no midi track delay setting. Could be more.

That is a separate issue compared to articulationSet, its simply that the aux track trick doesn't give you a way to specify the port.

I don't think the AUX track trick will really work very well for using VePro in general. You should use normal multi-timbral instrument tracks...then you can set the midi channel and port independently for every track.

Dewdman, I am using your AU3 template. Everything is working fine except for instruments that are not Kontakt based.

I have, for example, one VEP with all my string libraries. For the instruments that use Kontakt, I have the AG VEPRO Multi-Instance script loaded so that the articulations sets can communicate with their respective midi ports.

But how can I use articulation sets with non-Kontakt instruments that are on ports 2, 3 etc... if articulation sets can't see the ports?

As far as I can understand, I have been able to make articulation sets work with Kontakt only because I am using the special script by AG, otherwise it's not possible. Is this correct? If it's not, what am I missing?

AG script cannot be loaded onto other players, so, how can I use articulations sets with them?

As you said, AG is doing special stuff related to kontakt. I don’t know anything about latest version of AG, sorry. Ask the author, Ivan.

But anyway you don’t really need to use AG multi instance when you’re not using kontakt. AG provides other features as well so if you are depending on those features then you’ll have to ask Ivan how to make your non kontakt tracks cooperate. It’s possible to do kontakt multi instance without AG, I have recently released some info about that but I feel its more trouble then it’s worth. Why do you need kontakt multi instance?

Edited by Dewdman42

As you said, AG is doing special stuff related to kontakt. I don’t know anything about latest version of AG, sorry. Ask the author, Ivan.

But anyway you don’t really need to use AG multi instance when you’re not using kontakt. AG provides other features as well so if you are depending on those features then you’ll have to ask Ivan how to make your non kontakt tracks cooperate. It’s possible to do kontakt multi instance without AG, I have recently released some info about that but I feel its more trouble then it’s worth. Why do you need kontakt multi instance?

First of all, thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

AG Multi-Instance has no special feature. It's made of several Kontakt pre-loaded with its script on the midi ports. Besides the script in Kontakt, it's just a time saver.

I have asked Ivan and he was the one that suggested me to load articulation sets on the aux track. He takes some time to reply and that is why I opened this thread.

first you have to understand that AG is basically a replacement or some of the articulation set behavior. AG manages the sending of key switches using Scripter...and we don't know exactly how the script works because they have encrypted it. You use his GUI to generate the script according to the keyswitching rules you want...and then you use the articulationSet ONLy for the purpose of naming your articulationID's with useful names and perhaps for input switches. All output switching is handled by AG scripts, not by the articulation set.

For kontakt multi-instance I am presuming that with AG gui you can specify which kontakt instance to send to using the AG gui...and the enypted script is able to embed some midi events, which later will be converted by Kontakt KSP back into routing to Kontakt ports A,B,C,D.

Scripter is also able to route midi events to VePro ports, so perhaps the AG gui and script are performing routing to the VePro ports too. I don't know any more then that because I do not own the latest version of AG.

Now... let's forget about AG for a minute... If you were not using AG... if you use the template I provided, you can simply specify the port for each track (which corresponds to VePro port) and you can specify an articulation set for each track. In this case since you would theoretically not be using AG, you would need to configure the Articulation Set more fully to send keyswitches or to channelize your midi events based on your articulation ID. However, LogicPro articulation sets do not have any understanding about AU3 ports (used by VePro). They just get passed through. So for example if you have a track on port 3, channel 5, and if you use the articulation set to channelize the articulations to midi channel 5-10, then those events would end up hitting VePro on port 3, channels 5-10...but there is no way with the articulation set to configure it to rechannelize articulations from a single track to multiple VePro ports.

That above CAN be done with Scripter...which is how AG works. I also have a freely available Scripter script that can do that.

So you are a bit stuck in the middle since you like the workflow of AG, you will need to consult with Ivan to find out how to configure your AG settings in the AG Gui so that your tracks will be routed to the propert VePro port and channel (for non-kontakt) and configured properly for Kontakt multi-instance ports A-D if you are using that. That is a question for Ivan!

But the templates I provided do not require AG....Any of those tracks will let you set the AU3 port and midi channel...and will let you assign an articulationSet, which can either pass that info directly to AG script...or not..its up to you.

If you want to share a project you are trying to use here I will take a look at it to say what I think you need to change, but really you should consult with AG for these kinds of questions, AG is more of an all encompassing thing that mostly replaces the built in behavior or LogicPro, but still I don't see any reason why you should not be able to have non-kontakt tracks routed to multiple VePro ports.... either in the track port setting, or through AG gui settings, which I am not familiar with because i do not use that product. Ask Ivan about that.

Not complaining,simply stating facts. Apple does not fully support AU 3 and VSL calls the multi port they provide a “ beta”

I believe you when you say it works fine for you, but for me that means “ stay away “ until both Apple and VSL give me the official go ahead. But after so many years doiNg this for a living, I proceed with caution.

Also, it brings little to the table that personally I care about.

ps - I would have assumed also that Ivan included some kind of environment stuff to support kontakt multi-instance, but I don't really know that for sure. Are you sure you aren't missing something? Did he provide you with templates to use?

I am not enamored by any specific software. I just want something that works.

I have just installed your script and as far as I can understand it's working fine. However, the script doesn't change the articulations inside the same player.

I have Hollywood 1st Violins loaded on port 2 channel 6. Inside Play I have loaded:

ch1 Leg

ch2 Leg bc

ch3 Trem

ch4 trills

etc, etc...

How can I switch between these channels/articulations inside Play?

Your script only works if we have one articulation per Play Instance, or am I missing something?

ps - I would have assumed also that Ivan included some kind of environment stuff to support kontakt multi-instance, but I don't really know that for sure. Are you sure you aren't missing something? Did he provide you with templates to use?

I have just installed your script and as far as I can understand it's working fine. However, the script doesn't change the articulations inside the same player.

I have Hollywood 1st Violins loaded on port 2 channel 6. Inside Play I have loaded:

ch1 Leg

ch2 Leg bc

ch3 Trem

ch4 trills

etc, etc...

You don't need a third party system for this simple task. Just assign each to a MIDI channel and create an Articulation Set for the instrument, unless you need more than 16 discrete articulations.

592353848_ScreenShot2020-09-03at8_34.10AM(2).thumb.png.f81f9f06de35bcf8356947b7df03489e.png

ch1 Leg

ch2 Leg bc

ch3 Trem

ch4 trills

etc, etc...

You don't need a third party system for this simple task. Just assign each to a MIDI channel and create an Articulation Set for the instrument, unless you need more than 16 discrete articulations.

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 8.34.10 AM (2).png

Hi Jay, this method would work fine if I had one VEP exclusive for HS 1st Violins. I wouldn't need the midi ports then. However, they are part of a big VEP containing several libraries, and the articulations sets can't see the ports.