VST Track Keeps Automatically Increasing Volume

Christopher11

I have an issue with an Alchemy instrument track in a project; I have not seen this before. It's ruining my song. That is, the fader is set to -13.4dB, has been the entire project. Suddenly it is bouncing all over, to -2 dB, -6, etc... and ruining the mix. I have no automation, and the track is not set to 'Read' with green light on. There's no need for it. I tried automating the track at -13.4, but it's doing the exact same thing.

When I check the individual regions, thinking maybe some kind of command snuck in from my external controller, they only show note and pitch bend data. The fader is just bouncing around on its own, and I have no idea why. Please help. Thank you!

New information: I opened another project and it was doing this same glitch. This makes it impossible to mix and produce music. Then, I got the idea to open these projects in an older version of Logic, still in my Apps folder: Logic Pro X 2.1, and it still did it! Faders going up and down, pan left and right. I am not connected to any controller; just opened Logic from my couch, so I don't think it's the influence of any external hardware. Could it be some third party software that is causing this?

Thank you for any suggestions or replies.

Okay, I can do that. Tell me though, if a track is not enabled to "read", the fader shouldn't go anywhere right?

No, not right. There could be MIDI CC messages (number 7 for faders) and they are read, just like MIDI notes, so they do not "read" mode.

Very interesting point, thank you. I hope it is that; easy enough to fix. However, when I press Command 2, the Event Edit List, such MIDI messages should show up in that window, shouldn't they?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. I am still having this terrible, crippling problem: tracks jump up to 1.8 dB despite wherever I have them set, and whether automated or not. I did attach a file as you suggest. I zipped it; I hope you can open it alright. Let me know, if not I will make any changes necessary.

This never happened before until I upgraded to this version. Now it's happening in many songs, especially those I recorded previously. As you'll see, this audio (drums) track is supposed to sit at -23 dB. It keeps jumping up to 1.8. Thank you for any replies or help. Can't get work done until I resolve this.

Logic Group test fader.zip

If you go to Project Settings -> MIDI -> General and turn off (uncheck) "Control change 7/10 controls volume/pan of channel strip objects" this behaviour goes away.

You've likely got recorded CC#7's in there somewhere which Logic is chasing (I haven't found them) to reset the faders but this will fix your problem for this project anyway.

There's definitely something funky going on though, bar 56/57 resets the fader to a different point than the +1.8, even when I've deleted all the tracks/regions in your project, which would point to some project corruption perhaps. I played around with it with the project, and then this fader reset changing at bar 56/57 moved onto the Master Fader track. So I'd definitely suspect project corruption.

(Also, your project opened up with about 15 piano roll windows open, for some reason...)

Did you start them all from the same project template?
No, I don't believe so. They were very much different projects. I think it's more due to upgrading Logic, and possibly getting this new laptop. (New to me, anyway). These two factors seem to have, one or the other anyway, caused this issue.

It's also caused the issue where USB controllers don't work via USB in. I have to use MIDI, which is unfortunate; it's really convenient to use USB at times, for some controllers, or when at my girlfriend's apartment, etc. So I do hope to resolve that at some point.

Oh!! So these two tips should resolve it for the other projects as well?

Hard to tell as every situation is unique, but in this project there is corrupted automation (corrupted in the sense that it is hidden and not accessible to you using the normal automation interface), so you just have to delete it using the instruction I gave you.

Weird one - there are vol/pan events in that track's track automation event list which influence this (see my solution above), but even if you remove those, the weird behaviour continues.

I had a look in the TAF arrange (it's good that this secret method still works after all this time!) and I couldn't see any automation events in there for that track either (there are some old-school ways of resolving automation corruption that can sometimes be fixed here).

Anyway - yep, two available workarounds/solutions so that should at least let you finish these tracks.