a new 2020 iMac and new Logic 10.5

9five
Go to solution Solved by fisherking,

I've read suggestions and recommendations on not using the migration assistant. Is that a general consensus? My main concern about moving to my new iMac (27" i9) is all the presets I made from plugins in Logic 10.4.4. I understand that Logic 10.5 has a new directory set for such items. Does anyone know where that kind of data is located now, in Logic 10.5? Any other suggestions on my "move to new" process are appreciated.. thx

• Solution

what triplets said.

you may find a lot of stuff migrates without issue, and you can sort out any problems after the migration. for instance, if a plugin needs to be re-authorized, or if, for some reason, you needed to copy over a presets folder from the older mac. you'll best know after you're on the new mac what does (or doesn't) need to be resolved (hopefully, very little...)

I too got a new iMac 27” just one month ago to update from a 2011 iMac 21.5”, which was necessary to run LPX 10.5. I worried about using Migration Assistant but that has turned out to be unfounded. Everything works perfectly and was very quick and easy compared to raking through dozens of applications and thousands of files manually.

Migration Assistant is wonderful, fast and easy. My advice is definitely use it.