MIDI latency with USB-C MacBook 2019

brothersky

Hi all!

I'm not very happy with the USB-C ports on the new MacBook, as there is serious MIDI latency with my regular USB cables and adaptors. It comes and goes, and I've tried different buffer sizes and eliminating plug-ins to no avail.

My 2012 MacBook never had this problem. Could it be something with my new Apollo Twin interface? Seems more like a USB adaptor issue. I've tried all of the ports on the Mac, but I've seen no difference.

Thanks!

Jon

definitely check your plugins. i know (for example), that if i have a certain plugin effect on a track, with a certain setup... i get that same sort-of issue (an almost-16th note delay) on notes i play... on any track. it's more likely that then the usb-c ports or adapters.

does it happen with no effects plugins? can you see if you can pinpoint a plugin causing this? otherwise... the usual: reset nvram, and the smc for you mac (google for instructions for your specific macbook pro).

I noticed it when I had the adaptive limiter or multiprocessor on, so I took that off, and still there is latency. I just tried a brand new project with no plug-ins and 6 midi tracks (all Classic electric piano) and the latency was better , but still there. Do I need more than 16 GB of RAM?

I did the NVRAM, but I'll try the SMC reset.

Thanks all!

I noticed it when I had the adaptive limiter or multiprocessor on, so I took that off, and still there is latency. I just tried a brand new project with no plug-ins and 6 midi tracks (all Classic electric piano) and the latency was better , but still there. Do I need more than 16 GB of RAM?

I did the NVRAM, but I'll try the SMC reset.

Thanks all!

16gb is fine, something else is happening. did triplets suggestion work? (to completely remove those plugins)?

If I record with very few plug-ins, it's almost normal. I started a new empty project and added 5 audio tracks (with no plug-ins) and 5 Classic Electric Piano tracks, with the minimal plug-ins that patch comes with. The latency was barely noticeable. But when I added a couple of plug-ins to a MIDI track, it slowed down a bit.

IS there an ideal port on a MacBook 2019 for MIDI and/or audio? Thank you all for your help!

• 4 months later...
It has to be those. But I've tried different adaptors and taken off effects and the latency is there, but not always at the same delay time. I didn't have this problem with my 2012 MacBook and regular USB. It frustrates me that Apple made their Macs with a new port that doesn't work as well with adaptors and there aren't many devices for USB-C. I'm having to quantize keyboard parts that I wouldn't normally quantize, so I'm losing some of the grease. Thanks for all your help.