Auto Pan?

Alphabet Beats

I'm trying to create an auto pan effect (on MIDI) on a arpeggiated synth to where the first note goes 45 left and then the next note goes 45 to the right, repeating this effect. However, I want the decay/sustain of each note to stay in the panned side that it's set to, so like the decay of the note from the left doesn't go into the right when the next note comes in. Alchemy has this on quite a few of its synths but I'm trying to replicate it and obviously can't use the actual pan in Logic because it doesn't do what I just mentioned above. Does anyone know a plugin that automatically pans each note between left and right? Please let me know! Edited by euphorion wave

It's not something you can do in audio, as a plugin doesn't know or care what and where the decay of a note is. It is a function of the synth/sampler that produces the sound, where you can pan the separate voices of the synth, and the voices then will get triggered when they're due, depending on how the incoming notes are assigned to voices.

And, BTW, the pan parameter of my Roland D110 from 1987 worked this way, and I hated it, as you couldn't play a held chord or drone and then pan it.

It's not something you can do in audio, as a plugin doesn't know or care what and where the decay of a note is. It is a function of the synth/sampler that produces the sound, where you can pan the separate voices of the synth, and the voices then will get triggered when they're due, depending on how the incoming notes are assigned to voices.

And, BTW, the pan parameter of my Roland D110 from 1987 worked this way, and I hated it, as you couldn't play a held chord or drone and then pan it.

I forgot to specify with MIDI! Not audio :)

what about duping the track, and, on track 1, removing every second note, then on track 2, removing every first note? and pan them each where you want (ie LC, and RC).

obviously, if there's a lot of notes, and/or the phrase doesn't repeat often, this could be a grueling task. but i do this often...

Wow, I feel dumb for not thinking of this already... thank you so much! This will definitely work.

what about duping the track, and, on track 1, removing every second note, then on track 2, removing every first note? and pan them each where you want (ie LC, and RC).

obviously, if there's a lot of notes, and/or the phrase doesn't repeat often, this could be a grueling task. but i do this often...

Wow, I feel dumb for not thinking of this already... thank you so much! This will definitely work.

i do this a lot; for example, every other note echo'ing, or heavily reverb'd, or with a really-thin EQ; 2 tracks (or more) & you can keep things pretty discrete. and not dumb at all; this is a great forum for ideas & suggestions of things we hadn't thought of.