10.5.1 'Hard' Flex Markers vs. Phase Locked audio

DamoDiggler

10.5.1 Flex Markers appear to have 'hard markers' now.. that the eraser tool has no effect on... but then this presents a new problem: 'Phaze Locked' audio is now 'bypassed' ..which defeats the purpose of 'Phaze Locking' audio.

I also have another issue where, if I have 8 tracks (drum tracks), grouped under Group1 and phase locked... when I'm 'scrubbing' the flex-markers with my Eraser Tool, as soon as I release the mouse button... the view is 'thrown' out of the current track I'm 'scrubbing' to a completely different track.. from this point.. I have to scroll back up and locate the track I was erasing markers from and continue... seems a little buggy to me, but maybe this is trying to accomplish something else... hard to tell, but the new experience of 'marker scrubbing' on 10.5.1 appears to be thwart with new issues.

.. can anyone explain this or have a work around?! :shock:

Ok, well they're new to me.. because prior to updating to 10.5.1, I've never had an issue with the same process I've been using for years... of.. group a bunch of tracks, phase-lock them... then remove the flex-markers... now, since 10.5.1 or perhaps even 10.5... my tracks are no longer phase-locked due to these 'hard markers' or 'tempo markers' but, I don't think they're 'tempo markers' due to the fact that.. if I visit my 'tempo track' I can not see any movements on the 'tempo track'..

There are no "hard markers" in Logic Pro X. Tempo markers should appear only where you have tempo changes. Can you post a screenshot of the markers that you can't delete so that we can determine what they are? How to attach files to your post

I've never had an issue with the same process I've been using for years... of.. group a bunch of tracks, phase-lock them... then remove the flex-markers

It's hard to tell what that process is for (what are you trying to do exactly), or how the tracks were initially recorded and ended up flexed? Recording, grouping and phase-locking tracks then turning on Flex should not in itself create any flex markers.

They were already in there ... I imported WAVs into the Logic File Browser and literally dragged/dropped them onto the project time line... and voilah.. .the markers were all just sitting there once I double-clicked on the region... and this was after 'grouping' them and 'quantize-locking' them (sorry was using the old-term 'phase locking'!)

They were already in there ... I imported WAVs into the Logic File Browser and literally dragged/dropped them onto the project time line... and voilah.. .the markers were all just sitting there once I double-clicked on the region.

To see Flex Markers, you need to turn Flex on for a track. By default, importing a wav file should not automatically turn Flex on for that track. Was Flex already on on the track where you imported the wav files? Did you try importing them in a new empty project with Smart Tempo set to KEEP and default Smart Tempo settings, in the empty space at the bottom of the workspace ?

Yes, I enabled the 'Flex' view after the audio was imported and dropped onto the timeline... but I did nothing to the files.. once I 'enabled' FlexTime view... they, as all the the other times.. 'appear' with flex markers scattered throughout... I don't use (or know enough about) Smart Tempo to meddle with it... so I just leave it on 'Keep Tempo', which you should be able to see in the screenshots above too.

..And 'yes', this was an empty project that I started with.

Edited by DamoDiggler

sure.. it's just 'click track'.. a little back-history of this project.. these 'wav' files were recorded in ProTools.. it was a 16-track reel-to-reel dump... this one track I'm working on only has 8 tracks.. but the musicians were playing to this attached 'click track', which is what I'm trying to 'lock' on to Logic's grid.. and I usually do this by using 'Flex Markers', but only recently.. like I mentioned earlier.. there's a new kind of 'marker' I haven't seen until recently.. and the regular 'eraser tool' just slides right over them without removing them... I have to literally right-click on each one and choose 'delete flex marker', this is also in an earlier screenshot.

Click.wav.zip

Did you notice that when importing the file, you get an alert telling you that the file you're importing has tempo information embedded? If you choose to import the tempo information you'll see the tempo changes in Logic and you'll notice that the tempo markers are where the tempo changes are. So that is what they are: tempo markers (not Flex markers, which have a little handle at the top).

If you don't want to see these tempo markers and don't want to work with any of the embedded tempo information, do not import the embedded tempo information, then in Logic select the audio region, and choose Edit > Tempo > Remove Original Recording Tempo.

That's interesting.. because I'm not getting those prompts about 'tempo information' at all.

Ok, so they are indeed 'Tempo markers'?! ...in the context menu (right-click) you have to choose 'Delete Flex Marker' to delete them... so that gave me the impression they are 'Flex' related.

Ok, starting to clear this up now... thanks David

But, if these are 'Tempo markers' does that mean these should have a direct relationship to the 'tempo track' .. because no matter how many 'Tempo Markers' are scattered throughout these audio files.. none of them appear to affect my Tempo Track at all.. the Tempo Track is flat 'static'.. from the first bar there is a 'tempo event' which is the project tempo.. but it doesn't move nor does it 'move' the tempo at any point throughout the project..

That's interesting.. because I'm not getting those prompts about 'tempo information' at all.

1. In Logic, choose File > New to open a new empty project from an empty project template.

2. In the New Track dialog that pops up automatically when you start from a new empty project template, choose to create 1 software instrument track.

3. Drag and drop the wav file to the empty area in the workspace below the track.

Don't you get a pop-up? I first get a pop up about sample rate. I choose to change the project sample rate. Then I get this:

tempo-pop-up.png.39b785addcda0f77157e4fa437889d3e.png

Ok, so they are indeed 'Tempo markers'?!

Yes, those vertical electric-blue lines are tempo markers.

...in the context menu (right-click) you have to choose 'Delete Flex Marker' to delete them... so that gave me the impression they are 'Flex' related.

They are definitely Flex related. Tempo markers are Flex related. You could consider them as a special type of Flex markers if you want, which is most likely why they can be deleted with that command. But your run-of-the-mill regular Flex markers, the ones you can erase with the Eraser tool, have a little handle on top.

Ok, starting to clear this up now... thanks David

You're welcome!

But, if these are 'Tempo markers' does that mean these should have a direct relationship to the 'tempo track' .. because no matter how many 'Tempo Markers' are scattered throughout these audio files.. none of them appear to affect my Tempo Track at all.. the Tempo Track is flat 'static'.. from the first bar there is a 'tempo event' which is the project tempo.. but it doesn't move nor does it 'move' the tempo at any point throughout the project..

I addressed this in an earlier reply here: you can see the tempo changes in your Global tempo track only if you choose to import them from the audio file:

tempo-events.thumb.png.7be0c6aabc593a505dc2fd1d0264bfd4.png

I see.. Okay, well that definitely resolves the main topic, now I'm just left scratching over why I'm not getting an option about 'Tempo info'. So, I'll check my Logic on my laptop and see if that too bypasses the Tempo Import notification... if not, maybe the message is being suppressed on my other Mac.

EDIT: In order to document all of this, in case someone else is following the same issue.. my laptops Logic just notified me about 'Tempo Info' for the same batch of audio files... so now, I presume the 'check box' for the Tempo dialogue window must've been checked for 'Do not show this message again'... which I believe in this case 'is NOT', however.. just because that message is 'not being shown'... it's actually a "Yes.. import Tempo information, but don't show the message.", if that's the case... all of this makes perfect sense.

Thanks again David.

Ok, sorry to have to pop back up.. but the issue persists, I've 'burnt' the project... started a 'fresh', imported the audio files in... was notified of the tempo information 'available', I chose 'No', but lo and behold, those 'Tempo Markers' are now starring at me in the face... as soon as I 'enabled' the 'Flex Markers' (after grouped audio with Quantize Lock implemented).. the Tempo Markers are back ... :roll: (screenshot attached) ... now, I definitely chose 'No' to the Tempo Import... so something is very odd here

1775110520_ScreenShot2020-09-15at10_16_36pm.thumb.png.477aa9585a31702b97dd6817154ba0bd.png

What the alert lets you choose is whether or not to import the tempo changes in the project, not the tempo markers. The tempo markers will be visible on the audio region when you turn Flex on, independently of whether you choose to import the tempo changes or not.

I detailed how to remove the tempo markers earlier in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=152012#p794904

ahh, right... so there's no avoiding these tempo markers being placed in.. which is odd, I've been working with Wavs since the mid 90s... I never even knew they had the ability to store 'tempo' information.

PS. is there a sure-fire method to deleting ALL Flex Markers... this 'rubbing out with the eraser tool' method reminds me of working on an Apple Macintosh :lol:

Thanks again!