Video export sample rate bit depth question

alexhedleymusic

Hi everyone,

im having a bit of a last minute meltdown. im just getting release a song tomorrow and im using logic to export the video as a video editor program i was using was changing the sound of the track...

so basically i sent my track to be mastered with the settings of 32 bit(float) and 44100 and the mastering engineer said this is good settings to use.

so anyways im assuming that thats what he exported his master at(i may be wrong about this as i dont know about settings for the final master)

but anyways going on the pressumtion that i should just use these same settings i went to export the video but there is no option for the 32 bit settings to export the video. to be honest iv'e tried a few things and they all sound ok a few sounded weird but the best to my ear was keeping it at 44100 and having the bit depth at 24...

but now im just second guessing myself and wondering if iv'e got the best that i can.

can anyone help with this i would really appreciate it.

thanks!!

You're welcome! On the other hand, watch your LUFS level! YouTube penalizes your level if you're not around -14 dB LUFS.

hey david,

i requested the track be mastered to this so all good on that front.

I asked the guy who mastered it what sample rate and bit depth he exported at and he said he didnt know and would have to look at the file. i opened up the file in quick time and also itunes and checked the track info and it said that the track was 44100 16 bit.....

so im assuming that means that these are the settings at which he exported the track.

in this case does that mean i should export the video from logic at the same settings 44100 16 bit?

sorry for all the questions im releasing the song tomorrow so just making sure i get it right.

thanks for all the help once again!

So I take it that the guy is not doing this for money. It's like the guy from the gas station not remembering whether he just filled your tank with unleaded or diesel.

Him giving you a 16 bit file in this day and age only confirms that.

Call him and request the 24bit file that you deserve.

i spoke to him about this and basically i requested that it was mastered for streaming and he said that 44100 and 16 bit is what streaming uses which is why it has been mastered at this. it has been mastered well i think he just has a lot of work to do with different artists etc and people request different things. i dont know much about this but he seems to think that streaming platforms will convert to 16 bit which is why he has mastered it as this as i requested it to be mastered for streaming. i just looked and this does seem to be the case with spotify at least...

Well, with all these details, my perspective is this: The process of mastering (getting levels, frequencies and dynamics of a mixed track just right) results in the final master of a high sample rate and high bit depth. If the project is 44.1kHz, then 44.1/24 qualifies for that. From this final master all lower resolutions can be created, now or at a later date. So I'd expect a mastering service to deliver a) the final master @44.1/24 and from that b) the master optimized for streaming @44.1/16 if that's what had been requested by the client.

i spoke to him about this and basically i requested that it was mastered for streaming

That's vague. All streaming platforms have different recommendations and it's not unusual to have a track mastered differently for different platforms.

and he said that 44100 and 16 bit is what streaming uses

That's vague again. YouTube recommends 24 bit uploads: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6039860

i spoke to him about this and basically i requested that it was mastered for streaming

That's vague. All streaming platforms have different recommendations and it's not unusual to have a track mastered differently for different platforms.

and he said that 44100 and 16 bit is what streaming uses

That's vague again. YouTube recommends 24 bit uploads: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6039860

ok but everything aside.... if the master file is 16 bit 44100 then this should be the settings to use for the video export from logic for the best results?