Corrupted logic file, please, HELP!

daniilyoll

Hi, dear community!

Suddenly my logic file got corrupted! "The file couldn't be opened because it isn't in the correct format."

I tried to fix it according to some common recommendations like reboot, import it in another project, replace some files inside logic folder, but still I cannot open. Is there somebody who can give me some more advise or fix it by yourself? The file is here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mvWgQTOsz5vP9BbeJ9Z7oMrVuD3RJxbo

Please, help me :|

Same miserable result here, with an added whatever-is-the-opposite-of bonus: I created a new project and tried importing tracks from your corrupted project, but the list came up blank. I then closed the File browser, saved that new project anyway (to test out new plugins later) closed it, worked on something else. 30 minutes later, I opened the new project and got the exact same message and Logic quitting "unexpectedly". So my attempt at importing only imported one thing: the issue.

For someone who understands how Logic is coded this might be a clue. That, and the crash report - which didn't tell me anything - but it rarely does.

Micro SD card which was always inside connected. Does it matter? When I realized its corrupted I made a copy to internal drive and google drive (link above). Thank you!

Not a good idea. Those cards are usually formatted in Fat32 or ExFat which Logic does NOT like and leads to project corruption as you have experienced now.

Get yourself a dedicated external HD, either USB 3 or Thunderbolt, and:

If it's spinning, make sure it's 7200 rpm high performance and format to MacOSX Extended, or

If it's an SSD, format to APFS.

You can do that with Disk Utility on your Mac.

Not a good idea. Those cards are usually formatted in Fat32 or ExFat which Logic does NOT like and leads to project corruption as you have experienced now.

Probably.. But it was "Mac OS Extended" format. Anyway... Thank you for recommendations. Before I did about 20 projects, that where on external hard drive (USB 3.0, 4Tb, extended) and had no problem,

• 10 months later...

There's no one "at Logic" who will help you recover your files. You can zip up the contents of one file you think should work and we can have a look at it, but beyond simple things, if it really is corrupted, it's done and there's likely no way back.

People, *please* learn about backing up important files. If you don't, sooner or later, you will likely lose them.

There's no one "at Logic" who will help you recover your files. You can zip up the contents of one file you think should work and we can have a look at it, but beyond simple things, if it really is corrupted, it's done and there's likely no way back.

People, *please* learn about backing up important files. If you don't, sooner or later, you will likely lose them.

Hi,

Ok, I wil.

Where do I send it to?

Ok, I had a look at these.

"06" has a metadata file which, rather than being text/xml, is just garbage binary data, so that is clearly corrupt. I rebuilt an empty project with your files, and tried a few different things, but Logic wouldn't read any valid data from the project data file from 06.

With "07", the metadata file was intact and the project file starts to load, prompts for missing audio assets as expected, but then hard crashes with some nasty float and divide by zero errors - again, likely the project data is corrupted. Again, I tried a few approaches, with the same results every time.

I would define both of these projects as basically unrecoverable from those files, unfortunately. Likely the files were damaged in your disk crash, or weren't correctly recovered from the disk.

Ok, I had a look at these.

"06" has a metadata file which, rather than being text/xml, is just garbage binary data, so that is clearly corrupt. I rebuilt an empty project with your files, and tried a few different things, but Logic wouldn't read any valid data from the project data file from 06.

With "07", the metadata file was intact and the project file starts to load, prompts for missing audio assets as expected, but then hard crashes with some nasty float and divide by zero errors - again, likely the project data is corrupted. Again, I tried a few approaches, with the same results every time.

I would define both of these projects as basically unrecoverable from those files, unfortunately. Likely the files were damaged in your disk crash, or weren't correctly recovered from the disk.

Ok, thanks again.

The recovery was done by a professional company, but im gonna try to do another recovery with a different program.

Who knows if that might give me acces to a few more files.

Not to rub it in your face, but yes, to rub it in your face, an external 3Tb drive would have cost you maybe 100 bucks, and to switch on Time Machine for automatic backups would have amounted to three mouseclicks.

If your data is worth sinking hundreds of bucks, days of downtime and countless tears into its uncertain recovery, how can you not take the few simple steps to effortlessly prevent losing it ? I don't get it.

• 2 months later...
Hey, so I think I figured out what happened when I had this issue. I had renamed my project folder after the last time I had saved it. So, when I tried to open the project from within logic, it basically couldn't find/recognize the project because the names didnt match. I named it back to the original name, and it was all fixed.

• 1 year later...