How to copy zones within the new Logic Pro X sampler

Pirre

Hey there.

I am trying to build a new sampler on my own (I know the "auto build" function in Logic, but I don't want to use it)

... I have given a huge audio file that is a recorded guitar that plays different chords.

Now, I've created a new instrument track, added a sampler, drag&drop the audio file in it (on mouse over "Chromatic" > "Zone per file"). It then looks like this:

Logic-Pro-X-Sampler.thumb.png.2493822ca0b97624238cb4648c2fc2f9.png

Now, I need several zones that starts at different positions within the same audio file..

One solution could be to create new zones "Zone > New", but then, they are totally empty and I have to edit each of them from scratch..

Sometimes (but only sometimes?! I unfortunately could not figure out yet when exactly) I can drag&drop a zone, while holding the Option key and then I get a copy of the dragged zone.. But this does not work always.. :(

Can you help me? Thank you in advance!

Option-drag the yellow slice toward the right to copy it.

Have you considered using Quick Sampler for this? In SLICING mode it's really easy to map different sections of a sample to specific note pitches.

Otherwise if you want to use Sampler, an easy workflow is to adjust the transients markers of your audio file in the Audio editor's transient editing mode, then convert the track to a sampler track creating zones from transient markers.

Duplicating Zones in Sampler has changed significantly from EXS24, and not for the better.

In EXS24, you used to be able to select a Zone in the list view, copy, paste and you'd have a duplicate Zone ready to be tweaked. Easy. Not so anymore. What happens in Sampler is that you get a duplicate of the Zone, but in a duplicate Group. Moreover, if you grab that duplicated Zone and drag it back into the correct Group, it overwrites the original Zone ! Don't laugh, I'm serious.

The reason for this is because in Sampler you cannot have two Zones in the same Group on the same key with overlapping velocity ranges. Why not, you ask ? Yeah, exactly, why not ? I have no clue. EXS24 was and is perfectly capable of handling this, whereas Sampler is not. Ask the developer who thought this was a good idea, and his boss who approved it.

You can option-drag in the graphical display, but this is extremely prone to truncate low and high velocity values unless you drag absolutely horizontal. Yeah, good luck on a trackpad.