Question About System Overload Errors

ITSYERBOII

I hadn't gotten one of these in the past few years until recently but now im getting it non stop. I've got a 16 inch macbook pro with 64GB of ram and 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 processing. When I play the session, activity monitor shows my Memory completely in the green. My CPU reads: 67% idle, 30% user 3% system

Wouldn't that mean the computer is not overloaded? Trying to see whats going wrong here since its relatively new issue and i'm not running anything more intense than i used to. Buffer size is maxed out btw and im not tracking anything

Single channel strips are processing on one core, so it's possible to have a plugin chain that exceeds what a single core can process, even if you have 7 other cores idle.

(Equally, it's possible to use more disk bandwidth than your disk etc can deliver in the current buffer cycle, even if you have plenty of CPU resources available).

Either of these things mean Logic can't play everything asked of it in real time, so you'll get an overload and Logic will stop.

As trip says, take a look at your performance meters in Logic to show you where you are using too many resources for your computer to handle, and that will give you as clue as to how to optimise.

As trip says, take a look at your performance meters in Logic to show you where you are using too many resources for your computer to handle, and that will give you as clue as to how to optimise.

When i look at the performance meter as Trip suggested, it's the CPU that gets maxed out. In the expanded view it looks like just one bar (all the way to the left) of the "Processing Threads" is peaking. Is that kinda what you are referring to with just one being utilized? And any tips to optimize it? It's just strange because my session has less than other sessions i've run with no problem

Yes, you're maxing out one core, so you have a particularly heavy load on one or more channels.

Firstly, in playback, select an unused track in the main window to make sure you're not in Live mode. That might help. Otherwise, look at your channels that are using heavy plugins, and spread the load across multiple channels if you can. If it's an instrument/synth that's heavy, see if it has a multiprocessing mode which can sometimes help (u-he synths for example, but others too).