Why no modern workflow enhancements?

A_Pryce

I love Logic but certain things feel long over due. I wonder why the team ignore so many workflow enhancements like;

Plugin Search

Track Search

Track visibility filters

Clip gain envelopes

Drag Drop plugins, drag copy sends

Better freeze features

Automation shapes and Automation transform features

Seems like all innovative features or better workflow features come from the new players like Bitwig or Studio One

But Apple played for the Live and FL YouTubers market with live loops and patterns without enhancing the core functionality of the DAW...

It's two things. First, for every point on your list, there's like fifteen things someone else would consider as elemental. So by which metrics would you prioritize development ?

Second, if you, as a product manager, were allotted sum X for development, would you spend it on refining existing functionality or implement new concepts to access a huge target demographic which until then was completely unfazed by Logic's tape recorder paradigm ?

Think hard, your job is on the line for the result.

I'm sure those, and many other things, are on the to-do list, along with the list of ever-growing-daily bug reports, the overall roadmap of major features, third-party support issues, new technologies to support (eg MPE), long time things users want changed, plus the strategic things the company throws down from the top ("don't forget your entire massive codebase needs to compile and be optimised for ARM architectures now. Oh, and if you can get it to run on the iPad, might be god...")

As to what order they are in, I'm sure it changes regularly, and not every item requires the same amount of time and effort to do. Life is complex, so is software development...

Imagine Apple had made the improvements you listed. Today on the forum, the post we'd be reading would be:

I wonder why the team ignore so many modern current music production techniques like;

Step Sequencing

Drum synthesis

Quick Sampling

Live Loops

Faster and easier drag'n'drop workflows

iPad controlled Remix FX

Seems like all current music production tools come from Live or FL Studio and that Apple is completely ignoring the YouTuber trend. Instead of bringing new much needed functionality for the new music production techniques they rest on their laurels, endlessly polishing the same old aging music making tools.

It doesn't matter which decisions Apple make, some of the user base will be happy and others will be unhappy. Just not the same people.

I don't think its bad at all for us on this forum to discuss feature wish lists. Why not.

That being said, i think its an over-reach to categorically say that logic is not "modern" because it doesn't have particular features you wish it had. It has numerous features that many other so called "modern" DAW's don't have. So there is always going to be something missing.

I would like to see track search, plugin search and lots of other things too...I'd actually rather prefer if Apple would spend one year doing nothing other but fixing bugs and design flaws that we have been complaining about for many years, related to latency compensation, full Au3 support, routing scripter through the environment, etc.. There is actually quite a laundry list of things where LogicPro just barely missed the mark and just a little bit of TLC would nail all those issues away for good. I'd much rather see that then the live loops also. But someone else won't care about what I want, they will want live loops...so apple will do whatever they do. LogicPro is still my primary DAW of choice as of now... admittedly, mainly because of Scripter and I'm a nerd

The simple reality of any commercial software product such as Logic – or OS/X nee MacOS – is that both "the issue list" and "the task list" and "the request list" go on forever – and they always will. The product teams are therefore always working on an overlapping list of tasks: some that are destined for "the next bug-fix release" or "the next product release," and some that are "futures."

Quite wisely, product teams do not expose the latter two lists to the public!

("Software development like laws and sausages: you really don't wanna know ..." :P )

Nevertheless – "if you use the Apple web-site page for this product to express your 'feedback,'" I can in fact positively tell you that your feedback "will enter the gristmill." Someone deep inside of Apple will see it, and will be tasked with responding to it ... internally.

("Santa Claus doesn't reply to his letters, either!" Except in fairy tales.)

Guys, gals I love Logic :) especially 10.5 with the new sampler which I think with Q sampler is the best native sampler ever. Also I think Logic is highly modern. Just that workflow wise it feels a bit dated. The new great features like Live Loops Step Seq etc do not gel with the clumsy old way of doing things. Looking at Studio one they both add new features but also progress the workflow. I believe Apple can balance it too. For example in Studio One you can drag the header of the insert section of a channel and drop it on an another channel and all inserts get copied over. I heard that same feature is coming for sends too. I am talking about things like this. In Logic can you not even drag drop a send to another channel. I am not looking for esoteric features like Bitwig Grid or something but overall stuff that makes it easier to work and navigate with less clicks and menus.

For example I love how I can have lots of tracks soloed in Logic but on top of that I can also solo a region without messing up with the tracks solo state which is genius. I want more things like this :I

But since the new big features are out of the way which I believe took some serious time and programming power maybe next updates will have more workflow oriented features. And yes I understand what sells and what is boring for the youngsters :)

For example in Studio One you can drag the header of the insert section of a channel and drop it on an another channel and all inserts get copied over. I heard that same feature is coming for sends too.

Select a channel. 'Copy Channel Strip Settings - option-command-c'

Select a different channel. 'Paste Channel Strip Setting option-command-v', 'Paste Channel Strip Setting Plug-ins Only', 'Paste Channel Strip Setting Sends Only'.

You would assign a key command to do the selective paste operations...

I am talking about things like this. In Logic can you not even drag drop a send to another channel.

A plug-in (insert) is an object that is copyable. A send is a 'cable', not something that would normally be copyable. See above paste commands...

Hello guys! Not to turn this post into a spammy content, bit here are my two cents:

Plugin Search - Maybe the PlugSearch add-on or just organise your plug-ins to folders. That works great for me.

Track Search - In the sense of track presets you could save, organise and structure them the way you like it.

Track visibility filters - That's actually possible in the mixer. Hide tracks works well too.

Clip gain envelopes - I don't get this one.

Drag Drop plugins, drag copy sends - as pointed in previous posts.

Better freeze features - What more than Source Only and Pre Fader? I don't think there are other option that make sense.

Automation shapes and Automation transform features - Agreed on that. I'd love to see Pro Tools-a-like automation shapes.

Track Search - In the sense of track presets you could save, organise and structure them the way you like it.

No, the idea is to type "Glockenspiel" and to immediately get to the track of that name in your 300+ track template

Track visibility filters - That's actually possible in the mixer. Hide tracks works well too.

The idea is to have several banks so you can switch between winds, brass, percussion strings quickly

Clip gain envelopes - I don't get this one.

Kinda automation curves for Region Gain

A plug-in (insert) is an object that is copyable. A send is a 'cable', not something that would normally be copyable. See above paste commands...

Yes but can do it in Protools and Studio One so it is possible. A send is a cable yes but in the real world :) In a DAW everything is possible as it is just coding as we can do lots of other things that are not possible outside of computers and DAWs :) If we tried to match everything to the real world the music software as we know it today wouldn't be like this. I mean ''drag drop copying sends would help for a faster workflow but it is just a cable so we shouldn't do it'' does not make any sense :)

If you can copy it by selecting 'paste sends only' then it can be hold drag and drop too. Instead of executing a bunch of commands you are doing the same thing with a one mouse movement. What is the difference?

Hello guys! Not to turn this post into a spammy content, bit here are my two cents:

Better freeze features - What more than Source Only and Pre Fader? I don't think there are other option that make sense.

Hello :)

For example freeze up to a certain plugin like in Reaper:

...or being able to edit (trim cut copy paste) regions or copy them to another audio channel like in Ableton Live so you don't have to unfreeze/freeze all the time to make edit changes. Both gives more freedom with frozen tracks.