Is Logic Pro X right for me? More below

ehanpaul8

I’ve been on windows my whole life and have used nothing but Maschine for 7 years now. I’m to the point now where I’ve reached my limits producing in maschine and want to step my game up to an actual DAW with my productions with more features, better workflow, automation curves, and to get better more professional mixes and tracks overall. The sole reason why I’d buy into a MacBook Pro is to work on music and switch over to Logic Pro. Is Logic Pro worth switching to Mac for? I would love some feedback and thoughts from you guys to help me out!

Some things I’m looking for is I want to get into a DAW that doesn’t have an insane learning curve to start with. I’ve tried out Cubase and Ableton before and I just couldn’t really seem to progress and learn through those programs as I would’ve liked to. Logic just looks so clean, straight forward, and user friendly. Would this DAW be a good one to pick up on fairly fast? I also really want to get into recording, is Logic pretty good with recording vocals and instruments? Are the stock plug ins good? For making beats does Logic have a nice fast workflow for throwing tracks together? Is it 3rd party vst friendly?

You get the jist haha, any input or opinions about this and some of Logic’s key strengths would mean tons to me and I hope to see you all in the Mac world soon!

Is Logic Pro worth switching to Mac for? I would love some feedback and thoughts from you guys to help me out!

Well, you're asking this to a bunch of Logic users - what do you think they are going to say? :)

You might want to try asking a community that's more widespread, like the computers forum on Gearslutz or something to get opinions from people other than current Logic users (like, maybe former Logic users, or people who weighed up the situation and came to different conclusions.)

IWould this DAW be a good one to pick up on fairly fast?

It's difficult to say because how fast you pick it up is really a factor of you, not the software really. All DAWs are deep, and all do pretty much similar things in similar ways, to a greater extent. So for example, *if* the reason you didn't get on with the others was that you just don't work well in a DAW environment for whatever reason, then choosing a different DAW isn't going to fix that.

I also really want to get into recording, is Logic pretty good with recording vocals and instruments? Are the stock plug ins good?

All DAWs are good with recording, and all DAWs have plenty decent stock plugins, Logic included.

For making beats does Logic have a nice fast workflow for throwing tracks together? Is it 3rd party vst friendly?

Again, fast is a factor of you, how you work, not so much the software. There are a myriad of ways to "make beats" and different approaches have different outcomes. How you choose to work is the user's choice.

The bottom line is - is Logic a great tool? Yes. Is it a magic bullet that finding it is going to instantly be like coming home and result in you producing complex tracks three minutes after loading the app - then probably no. Plus you'll also have to contend with switching platforms into the equation too.

So, switching the Mac + Logic - you might enjoy it - I certainly do. But don't necessarily expect a magic solution - you still have to put the work in, learn how to work a DAW and so on. I personally choose Logic, for many many reasons, but other people are equally happy with their Cubases, Reapers, ProTools, Digital Performers etc etc.

Maybe you could go into an Apple Store and give it a try - all their demo machines are preloaded with this stuff - and see how you like playing with Logic, before committing a large investment. You'll also have to figure how moving to the Mac might affect your non-music making computing life too.

Oh - and our user forum is full of nice helpful people, which is an asset.

I agree with @Ashermusic... expect to do the hard learning work for any full featured DAW, including Logic (to which I can attest as a relatively new Logic user, though I started with sequencers and DAWs many decades ago).

One aspect to consider: your frequency of use. If you use it often, the learning will take root. If you pause use for weeks or longer, then something simpler but less featured might be a better choice. E.g., I find Reason easier to immediately make music after an absense, but the tradeoff is it's missing the sequencer features and power of Logic for sustained work.

(I also changed from Microsoft to Apple... was on Microsoft platforms since the 80s, shifting to Apple a year+ ago... it's been a great move!)

want to step my game up to an actual DAW with my productions with more features, better workflow, automation curves, and to get better more professional mixes and tracks overall. The sole reason why I’d buy into a MacBook Pro is to work on music and switch over to Logic Pro. Is Logic Pro worth switching to Mac for?

Given the goals you just listed, definitely a resounding YES. A Mac computer, MacOS and Logic Pro X is a killer combo for DAW based music composition and production.

Some things I’m looking for is I want to get into a DAW that doesn’t have an insane learning curve to start with. I’ve tried out Cubase and Ableton before and I just couldn’t really seem to progress and learn through those programs as I would’ve liked to. Logic just looks so clean, straight forward, and user friendly. Would this DAW be a good one to pick up on fairly fast? I also really want to get into recording, is Logic pretty good with recording vocals and instruments? Are the stock plug ins good? For making beats does Logic have a nice fast workflow for throwing tracks together? Is it 3rd party vst friendly?

Logic is pretty fast to learn at the beginning, then the more progress you make the more you realize how much more there is to it, to the point that the learning can be endless if you want. I don't believe anyone on earth knows everything about Logic. At some point you make choices and expand your knowledge in the areas where you need it for your music productions. There's no need to spend years learning the finer details of the Score editor if you're a DJ who will never use music notation, and there's no need learning all the ways you can customize MIDI routing in the MIDI Environment if all you do is record live rock bands.

Logic is as good with recording vocals and instruments as any other DAW out there I suppose. The stocks plug-ins are stellar. Logic is a great tool for composition in general, and has a lot to offer. You can use any 3rd party Audio Unit instrument and effect plug-ins.

I think you've made the right decision, and you've come to the right place to help with the process of getting set-up and start (and continue) learning the ins and outs of Logic. Welcome here. :D

One thing that Logic has is that by default, it first starts up with a lot of the more complex, pro features "hidden" from view.

You can selectively add them later on, but this does help Logic be a bit more accessible and less overwhelming for new users (although it can also hinder those more experienced who at first don't see things they'd expect to see).

Logic also has by far the best collection of included content of all the DAWs (instruments, sample content, FX plugins etc) and is by far the best value for money.

Here's an example. Not meant to scare you, but to explain what you can expect. If you want to record and playback audio in a Live Loop cell, you can just press record, perform your audio, and press stop. Done.

Or you can open the Inspector and start tweaking all those parameters to your heart's content.

What you will most likely end up doing, like most of us, is start just pressing record and then stop. Then you'll learn one of those parameters. Most likely by mistake: "I can't hear my loop?" — "Oh right, the Mute checkbox was selected". Then another. Then you'll ask a question about to achieve something here: "How can I transpose my loop?" Etc. And like most or at least many mortals, you'll probably continue glancing at some of those parameters wondering what they do, or experiment with them without figuring out what they're changing or if they're changing anything at all in your situation, ending up realizing that you have a great idea that is more pressing to continue working on that figuring out all that stuff. And that's perfectly ok!

inspector.png.be96030d39ac0d56a44ca5fde4691ed4.png