Use single track as the tempo basis

amanda-atl

I have a guitar track where the tempo varies a bit here and there. I want to use it as the basis for the tempo in my project because all of my vocalists listened to this track when they recorded. The vocal tracks will need to be modified a bit (flex time) because people were too late on some of their pick ups.

Can I use the ADAPT or AUTO tempo setting, but have it based ONLY on the guitar track? I do not want any **automated** alterations to the tempo of vocal tracks that I import. I want to manually edit them as needed.

It seems like when I try both ADAPT and AUTO, Logic makes changes to the vocal tracks that I didn't ask for. Example:

I made a bunch of flex edits to vocal track 1 to match the guitar, and I was happy with it. Then I added another vocal track and made manual flex edits to it (tempo edits). When I went back to vocal track 1, it had been altered MORE (automatically) - and it didn't properly line up with anything anymore.

Should I just stick with KEEP, or is there a way to make ADAPT/AUTO work?

Flex-editing regions on one track does not change the timing of other regions on other tracks.

You could try to use ADAPT while initially importing the guitar region, however I have yet to experience a single situation where this actually worked, gave the desired results and wasn't a pain to bring it into a usable state. Therefore I usually use KEEP and quickly Beat Map to the source region:

- drag the source audio file to a track so that the downbeat of bar 1 lines up perfectly to a barline.

- select the Region, make the Beat Mapping track visible and click on Beat Mapping>Analyse Transients. This results in the blue lines at the bottom of the Beat Mapping track.

- manually assign Logic's bar grid to the blue transient lines with the click audible, like this:

beatmap.gif.fb6a28906b29c6d99f63e4fda57333ec.gif

Once every bar or two bars should suffice. Once you got that down,

- lay in your vocal tracks and align them so they sit as good as possible.

- select all regions and ctrl-click>Tempo>Write Project Tempo To Audio File

- activate GlobalFlexView at 1, then Track Flex at 2 and finally Region Flex at 3 on all Regions:

flex1-2-3.png.e7fe1a6202dee4b3ac1b3090431caf95.png

- now flex the vocal regions to match closely:

vocalflex.gif.bb4e01b215f8362cfb1574fb16452405.gif

If you want all regions (including the source track) to change tempo, edit the tempo events in the Tempo List Editor