I moved my sound library to an external drive now I'm not able to access them

RChris

It's trying to download the essential collection of sounds and loops again. It keeps doing this now and saying the download failed. So now every time I open logic it's downloading. It still works but is slooooowww. I open Alchemy for instance and it also has no patches in the library.

I've done that. Right now in the middle of a project, kind or hopping along with it. I'll do another close and open and see what happens. It opens up the download every time I start Logic and starts downloading, it never finishes and gives me that error.

Oh and thanks again for your help, really appreciate it.

If all else fails I suppose you could attempt Logic Pro X > Sound Library > Reinstall Sound Library. I find the way this whole Apple Sound Library is implemented very frustrating for the end user. It lacks transparency and flexibility, and users lack information about they have or don't have installed on their machine exactly.

I recommend against using a symbolic link as this may trigger issues down the line with Apple Sound Library content updates. Move the files back to their original location and use Logic Pro X > Sound Library > Relocate Sound Library.

Symbolic links work perfectly fine for Library relocation. What does "Relocate Sound Library" do? It's just an automated script which creates the very same symbolic links. So it doesn't really matter whether one does it manually or thru this option.

I hear your pain. Unfortunately this whole Apple Sound Library situation is very frustrating for all of us. Best I can suggest is you call Apple and complain, but I'm not sure whether it will help or not.

That one I totally agree with. But library issues have plagued Logic at least since this humongous sound library was introduced back in Logic Studio 8. It's frustrating also because other music software developers, say Native Instruments, have much simpler ways of installing and relocating huge libraries: just choose a location, click and bingo, it's there and all the apps know where to look. How difficult can that be to implement with Apple's native app? A rhetorical question, but still.

I recommend against using a symbolic link as this may trigger issues down the line with Apple Sound Library content updates. Move the files back to their original location and use Logic Pro X > Sound Library > Relocate Sound Library.

Symbolic links work perfectly fine for Library relocation. What does "Relocate Sound Library" do? It's just an automated script which creates the very same symbolic links. So it doesn't really matter whether one does it manually or thru this option.

It's not the same thing. "Relocate Sound Library" is Apple's automated script, which means Apple knows how to handle Apple receipts, and therefore how to handle the Apple Sound Library relocation with any new content update or Logic update. If you use symbolic links you're doing it yourself manually without Apple's knowledge, which means all best are off when there's a new update. This has been an issue with anyone using symbolic links instead of Apple's Sound Library Relocation function in past updates. It's annoying, I agree, but it is what it is.

It's not the same thing. "Relocate Sound Library" is Apple's automated script, which means Apple knows how to handle Apple receipts, and therefore how to handle the Apple Sound Library relocation with any new content update or Logic update. If you use symbolic links you're doing it yourself manually without Apple's knowledge, which means all best are off when there's a new update. This has been an issue with anyone using symbolic links instead of Apple's Sound Library Relocation function in past updates. It's annoying, I agree, but it is what it is.

Could you be more specific on how they handle receipts in a case when one uses "Relocate Sound Library" option, then? As compared to relocation when symlinks are created manually. Cause, as I understand it, installation receipts is just a way for macOS to tell Logic app that a certain Sound Library component was installed and is present in the system. But, as far as macOS is concerned, it treats symbolic links in the same way as actual folders. When there's a Sound Library update, files get installed into external HD. Or did you mean "new update" as in "new Logic app update"? In any case, how does automatic relocation handle receipts differently? What do Apple software engineers have to say about this?

Or did you mean "new update" as in "new Logic app update"? In any case, how does automatic relocation handle receipts differently?

A new update to the Apple Sound Library Content, which typically occurs with a new Logic app update albeit not necessarily. My experience has been that when creating your own symlink to relocate the library manually rather than using Apple's script, because Logic isn't made aware of your relocation, that creates issues when the Apple Sound Library is trying to update your Mac. Here is an example:

Please suggest the easiest way for Logic to "find" my Logic Sound Library (moved previously using symbolic links)

Or did you mean "new update" as in "new Logic app update"? In any case, how does automatic relocation handle receipts differently?

A new update to the Apple Sound Library Content, which typically occurs with a new Logic app update albeit not necessarily. My experience has been that when creating your own symlink to relocate the library manually rather than using Apple's script, because Logic isn't made aware of your relocation, that creates issues when the Apple Sound Library is trying to update your Mac. Here is an example:

Please suggest the easiest way for Logic to "find" my Logic Sound Library (moved previously using symbolic links)

And my experience has been that everything works fine. All Sound Library updates are installed where they should on external drive, regardless of whether updates are the result of the app update or not. How Logic may not be "made aware" of such relocation is a mystery to me, since symlinks (if they are created correctly, using correct syntax and a sudo command in terminal) are treated in the same way as folders in macOS. In short, this means both the macOS and Logic app should see the Sound Library content on external drive as if they were files in their respective folders in the built-in HD. That's the essence (and beauty) of symbolic links. The example in the linked post isn't a good once, because it's not clear whether that user did a clean macOS install or not. If he did, he lost installation receipts and that's what created a problem for him. I don't think he would have encountered such an issue if he still had sound library installation receipts intact. And in the absence of receipts backup, library reinstallation is the only way to go, I agree.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...