Faders don’t work

PauldeH
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Hello, relatively new to Logic Pro and music production in general. I have v10.5, awesome tool. Have recorded and edited my first song now, and also quite happy with the sounds i got. One problem though, my faders are not working. I have read some other posts about this but these did not help me to resolve this. It might have to do with some autopunches i used, but I re-recorded an entire track so there are no autopunches anymore, just to test and the fader still doesn’t work. Anybody an idea?

Apologies, I was not clear. At the end of the song, the two guitar tracks end with an open chord that I want to fade out, so the volume slowly dies down and the song ends. I used the fade tool bij selecting it from the dropdown that also has scissors, eraser etc. I go all the way to the right of the track, and pull the fader with my mouse to the left. A light grey fading area appears in the end of the track. But when I listen, the cords just continue to sound loud until they down down when the tracks ends. No volume fading out.

Also, in the middle of the song, the second guitars plays chords that amplify bass/crash accents. After each hit, I have put a short fade out and cut the guitar track until the next chord to make it sound tight. These fades also no longer work. They worked earlier when I was working on the song. It started when I did some auto punching to correct guitar misstakes, so it might have to do with that. But as mentioned, I deleted all recordings in one of the tracks, re-recorded the guitar without autopunch and the fade out at the end of the song still didn’t work.

Hope this clarifies a bit. I don’t know how to post print screens here. I bought a MacBook to run Logic Pro and am new to iOS. If you explain how I can make and post a screenshot On my MacBook, I will do so. Thanks!

Region fades - ie fade outs on an audio region - are nothing to do with "Faders" - the volume controls on channel strips, so it's good that we now know what we are talking about! :)

Are these tracks frozen? Do the fades graphic show on the *region*, not the track?

If you want to just turn down the volume (ie pulling the faders down on the guitar channels) for that you'd use automation - put your guitar channel in Latch mode, and drag it's volume fader down in playback. Automation to back to Read mode when it's done.

Edited by des99

What do you mean with a frozen track? And what is a region? I’m quite sure that I have put the effects the way they should be applied to change the volume of the guitar track at the end of the track. They used to work but now they don’t.

How can i add a print screen here? I cannot find that option. If you could explain me, I’ll post a print screen...

• Solution
Nope, sound remains full volume until the tracks ends and the guitar abruptly stops, rather than the smooth fade out I was expecting.

Your fade outs in those screen shots are all on regions where the guitar has nearly decayed to silence already, as you can see from the waveforms, so I don't know how the guitar "abruptly stops" if it's near silence already?

Do you have plugins on those tracks - say, Guitar FX with a lot of distortion/gain? I'm wondering if what you are hearing is the result of plugin processing (which happens after the region fades).

I bet there's heavy distortion and/or a hi gain amp on these tracks. By this, you amplify the signal by crazy amounts and thus your little weensy fades don'T make a difference anymore. Do what des99 suggested and automate the faders (channel volume sliders), as these are after the processing and will not affect the distortion.

There are indeed quite some plugins and effects, but I would expect that the fade in the end fades out all sounds, guitar and effects. It also did that earlier, but all of a sudden that didn’t work anymore. Even though the line seems flat, you still hear guitar - besides indeed the noise. But also in the short fades i showed, you hear me palm muting the guitar after playing the chords, which you didn’t hear when the fades were working...

The audio in those regions is the *first* thing that happens in your signal, then it gets fed through all your plugin processing, then it ends up at the volume fader, and that's the thing the actually does what you think the region fades do.

Region fades just affect the audio date being read from the audio file, but do nothing about all the processing that comes after it.

If you bounce/render your plugin processing into new audio files, then the fades will work as you expect because again, you're just fading the recorded audio (which now contains the outputs of all the plugin processing) and there are no further processes happening to that audio afterwards.

Fades are there to help clean up your recorded audio, but then are not really a *mix* tool - that's what the channel faders are for.

The audio in those regions is the *first* thing that happens in your signal, then it gets fed through all your plugin processing, then it ends up at the volume fader, and that's the thing the actually does what you think the region fades do.

Region fades just affect the audio date being read from the audio file, but do nothing about all the processing that comes after it.

If you bounce/render your plugin processing into new audio files, then the fades will work as you expect because again, you're just fading the recorded audio (which now contains the outputs of all the plugin processing) and there are no further processes happening to that audio afterwards.

Fades are there to help clean up your recorded audio, but then are not really a *mix* tool - that's what the channel faders are for.

Thanks a lot! That really clarifies and gives me plenty to work with. May I ask a short tip how I bounce/render your plugin processing into new audio files, or where in Logic Pro I can set the channel fades? I think the latter is the best option right?

May I ask a short tip how I bounce/render your plugin processing into new audio files,

Bounce In Place is probably the quickest and easiest, though there are other ways to bounce.

https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10.4.7/#/lgcp8ae5826e

or where in Logic Pro I can set the channel fades? I think the latter is the best option right?

The mixer window - it's a pretty fundamental window - also the fader for each track is displayed in the Inspector in the main window as a convenience.

May I ask a short tip how I bounce/render your plugin processing into new audio files,

Bounce In Place is probably the quickest and easiest, though there are other ways to bounce.

or where in Logic Pro I can set the channel fades? I think the latter is the best option right?

The mixer window - it's a pretty fundamental window - also the fader for each track is displayed in the Inspector in the main window as a convenience.

Thanks for all you advice, much appreciated! Really helps me move forward. I was aware of the mixing panel and the volume buttons / faders. Just looking to learn how i can automate a fade out so at the end of the song the sounds fade out until its silent withou me having to gradually shift the volume button down.

I just recorded a new piece of guitar using little to no logic pro effects / plugins, but just my own peddle board at home with the right amp in logic, applied the fade tool as demonstrated in my printscreens... and it works. So you are indeed right, there are some signals that continue to make noize when the fade tool fades the actual guitar sound.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all you advice, much appreciated! Really helps me move forward. I was aware of the mixing panel and the volume buttons / faders. Just looking to learn how i can automate a fade out so at the end of the song the sounds fade out until its silent without me manually having to gradually shift the volume button down.

I just recorded a new piece of guitar using little to no logic pro effects / plugins, but just my own peddle board at home with the right amp in logic, applied the fade tool as demonstrated in my printscreens... and it works. So you are indeed right, there are some signals that continue to make noize when the fade tool fades the actual guitar sound.

Thanks again!