Using Midi CC Transform in Piano Roll

Aftermid

Hi,

I am trying to use my mod wheel to control expression in the piano roll. I've already set up the transform in the environment to that CC 1 (Mod Wheel) controls CC 11 (Exrpession). Moving the Mod wheel I can see that Message 11 is working. I go to the piano roll and sit up my view for expression for that particular instrument. The arrange window does not show expression in the automation lane, just basics, like volume pan etc.

I then start to play and the expression tool does not draw on the piano roll. I can pencil it in or draw it and it will work. But if I use the mod wheel, I don't see any expression changes happening in the piano roll, once I hit play and put in write or latch mode. I also tried using the Midi Modifier plug in for this as well, but no success.

Any ideas?

Hi,

I am trying to use my mod wheel to control expression in the piano roll. I've already set up the transform in the environment to that CC 1 (Mod Wheel) controls CC 11 (Exrpession). Moving the Mod wheel I can see that Message 11 is working.

How did you connect it ? Could you provide a screen capture of your environment?

I go to the piano roll and sit up my view for expression for that particular instrument. The arrange window does not show expression in the automation lane, just basics, like volume pan etc.
Are your automation display set to Track or Region?

I then start to play and the expression tool does not draw on the piano roll.
The Expression tool?

I can pencil it in or draw it and it will work. But if I use the mod wheel, I don't see any expression changes happening in the piano roll, once I hit play and put in write or latch mode.
Have you tried setting the automation mode to either Read or Touch instead?

I also tried using the Midi Modifier plug in for this as well, but no success...
The MIDI Fx will not write automation (to track or region) unless setting and IAC loop.

The signal route is as follow:

Region>Track>MIDI Fx>Channelstrip's soft.instrument>audio Fxes>...

Attached you'll see a shot of environment window.

Track display is in region right now, although I've also tried it in track view.

"expression tool" by this I meant moving the mod wheel does not affect the automation writing of expression.

I have tried all modes of setting the automation including read and touch.

You mentioned: "The MIDI Fx will not write automation (to track or region) unless setting and IAC loop.

The signal route is as follow:

Region>Track>MIDI Fx>Channelstrip's soft.instrument>audio Fxes>..."

could explain this path: Region>Track>MIDI Fx>Channelstrip's soft.instrument>audio Fxes>..."

What and how are you routing this and how does the IAC loop play in this?

52186807_LogicEnvironment.thumb.png.8813cd979e5d50c735ec90b006cac4f7.png

From your screen capture, I gather that you have connected in parallel the Physical Input and the Transformer to the Sequencer Input object.

Avoid feeding the Sequencer Input object with both of them at once.

Instead, try deleting the current Monitor object (and its currently connected cables).

So you end up having the following objects routing configuration (serially cabled):

Physical Input -> Input Notes -> Transformer -> Sequencer Input.

Optionally, to let you verify that the Transformer's parameters are properly set, it could be useful to also connect a Monitor object between the Transformer and the Sequencer Input objects.

If that did not work either, could you provide a screen capture of your Transformer's inspector so we could see how the parameters are set?

Automation (touch, latch etc) is for recording the movements of knobs or sliders on the Logic interface. You can move them directly with the mouse, or with controller assignments. However you're not doing either here, so there's no automation to be recorded.

If you want to record your MIDI CC data (transformed or not), you operate the same as to record your MIDI notes: you press record, and the MIDI CC events will be recorded in a region on the track.