I/O Plugin - No Dry/Wet Option

christoph88

Hi all,

I'm trying to use the I/O function in Logic Pro X to run software channels through outboard gear - either effects pedals or my mixer - but I'm not given any option to adjust the dry/wet so that I can only hear the signal that's coming out of my outboard gear. This makes it hard to use outboard gear with software, as the dry signal plays over whatever I'm trying to use the hardware to do with it. Particularly a problem when it comes to EQing through my mixer.

For reference, I'm actually using an old edition of Logic Pro (10.2.0) - my Mac has become outdated to the point where I can't even update programmes of this kind on it. In the near future I'm hoping to get a new laptop altogether, but until then, can anyone explain how I get rid of the dry signal on the I/O effect, or any kinds of workarounds that would help here?

Thanks!

While I'm not sure which top-class mixer and top-class converters you use to achieve better results than what a plugin EQ can do, any version of the IO-plugin will give you *at least* the option of 100% wet, else it would be absolutely pointless. If you're still hearing dry signal you have a routing error somewhere. Show a screenshot of the mixer (command-shift-4)

While I'm not sure which top-class mixer and top-class converters you use to achieve better results than what a plugin EQ can do, any version of the IO-plugin will give you *at least* the option of 100% wet, else it would be absolutely pointless. If you're still hearing dry signal you have a routing error somewhere. Show a screenshot of the mixer (command-shift-4)

Unfortunately this issue doesn't just apply to my mixer, it also applies for when I'm simply running it through something like an effect pedal, so the issue won't be with that. Below are two images; one is what an I/O plugin on Logic should look like, including a dry/wet slider. The other is what my I/O plugin looks like, featuring all parameters except dry/wet. Maybe with an updated edition of Logic Pro there wouldn't be an issue here but as per my OP, it isn't really compatible with the computer I use at the moment...

3b41a5d6e340993889c91b42adee5d85.png.762a11f3cb6d5e6c3114f29d7eb1191e.png

133095819_ScreenShot2020-10-25at16_51_43.thumb.png.633419e3f09459c1bc511e7ea69f9192.png

Well, you want a feature that's added in a later version of Logic than you have, but you can't upgrade. There's not much you can do regarding workarounds, other than the ones already mentioned. Or bite the bullet and upgrade to get a newer, better and more featureful version of Logic.

I'm not sure what else to suggest.

I know. As I've tried to say, if there is no dry/wet slider, then it returns 100% wet. I'd rather see a pic of Logic's mixer so we can sort out your problem.

My mistake, misunderstood your point about it returning 100% wet in your previous message. So yeah, the below is what the mixer currently looks like. Audio channel (on the left) running to an aux (Bus 3) which contains an I/O - running to output 3 of my interface, which goes via my mixer to inputs 1 and 2. If I turn the gain all the way down on my mixer, getting rid of the wet return, I'm still hearing the dry signal.

Like des99 suggests, the real solution would be to upgrade my Logic, but unfortunately my financial situation means it's not feasible at the moment!

1894071584_ScreenShot2020-10-25at21_30_32.thumb.png.0213270378798020fa2de571d2d8f01d.png

Lack of finances can almost always be outweighed by adding smarts, you just need enough of it.

Your routing is wrong. There's two ways to route stuff to "a box", and they differ fundamentally in precisely whether you want 100%wet or not.

If you want to send a portion of your guitar to a reverb, then you certainly want to keep all the dry signal that you have and just *add* the reverb to it, thereby creating a balance between the 100% dry guitar and the 100% wet reverb. Your channel 1 goes to the Stereo Out. That's the dry signal you hear. You *also* send quite a bit of it to Bus3 which then arrives at Aux3, where it loops to the external gizmo and back, and arrives at the Stereo Out. That's why you hear dry signal and effected signal, which is *perfect* or Delay and Reverb.

However, you would not use an EQ or Limiter in that way, you'd want no direct signal at all then. For this you route the entire guitar to the external unit, either by placing the IO directly in the guitar channel or by changing the output of all to-be-processed channels from Stereo Out to Bus3, not using a Send at all.