Reverse panning the overheads for Logic drum kits

danielrobinson

Hello. I've always preferred using the Superior Drummer platform for drum parts, but I'm curious about using Logic's kits and drummers. I just went through Lesson 2 in David's book, which is very helpful—I didn't even know about the producer kits. Anyway, I prefer to set up the drums with the hat on the left and the ride on the right—just my preference—and the Logic kits seem to all be the opposite. So, when you use one of the producer kits, say SoCal+, it's easy enough to change the panning of the hat, as well as other main pieces. But the problem is that if I pan the hi-hat to the left, the ride stays there because it's coming from the overheads. There's no independent control over the ride, which is realistic enough, but is there anyway to simply reverse the panning situation for the overheads? Obviously, these are meant to be set from the audience's perspective—so I would like them to be the complete opposite. Obviously, I could bounce the drum part later, when I'm done with it, and simply swap channels, but I'm just wondering if there's a way to do it while you're still working with the drummer track. I thought maybe converting to MIDI might help, but it doesn't really because, as far as I know, there's no way to affect the panning of individual notes in the piano roll. And creating a separate track for the ride MIDI seems like it would really disrupt the effect of the whole kit playing together. Surely, there's a way to do this, right? Thank you! Daniel

You're welcome!

(And HOTL is the right and proper way to do drum panning :D )

We had a few long recent threads on this elsewhere recently, it was quite interesting how different people internalise or visualise their soundstage when they listen to music, whether they feel like they are *in* the band (HOTL) or whether they feel like they are watching a band on a stage, where the drums are audience perspective (HOTR).

(Ultimately, we concluded, no one remotely important even cares about this, apart from us, so I'll continue to do it my way... ;) )