Logic 10.2.2 on Mac OS 10.12

RoyFan

There always "could be issues" - no one knows what combination of hardware, software and so on you are running. Mirror your system, so you can always easily revert if need be and no decisions are permanent, then install the new system and try it (or install it on a different drive first).

Then you test, on *your* system, with your exact configuration, and your use cases, to see whether everything is good, and to see whether you have any issues, old outdated software or hardware that doesn't work, and assess what needs to be done if anything to fix/handle those things - just as *any* upgrade.

You'll have to either start digging deep and do some research into 4 year old topics here on the forum, or take a leap of faith.

Dave thanks for your answer.

Taking a leap of faith would be far more than taking a leap of faith it will be possibly creating a mess with my computer a crazy hair raising mess will be a nightmare to fix should there be issues

A company that is idolized by its fans and So heralded should not be putting out operating systems with such problems someone has to take a chance or do research - it should just work - You shouldn’t have to hack away and do patchwork solutionsAn operating system should be an improvement on what came before and if you have things in common and build upon - It shouldn’t go in a totally different direction

I also wish there wasnt a Coded manner of What’s appropriate and what isn’t as far as a question on this form it makes someone feel very alienated and left out and hurt when all they’re trying to do is just get info - Like there’s a secret handshake that no one has told you it’s like being bullied in a way . We’re certain questions aren’t even answered because there’s a certain logic to what is a valid question what isn’t

There always "could be issues" - no one knows what combination of hardware, software and so on you are running. Mirror your system, so you can always easily revert if need be and no decisions are permanent, then install the new system and try it (or install it on a different drive first).

Then you test, on *your* system, with your exact configuration, and your use cases, to see whether everything is good, and to see whether you have any issues, old outdated software or hardware that doesn't work, and assess what needs to be done if anything to fix/handle those things - just as *any* upgrade.

.des - thanks so much for your well thought out and generous answer I really appreciate it

You seem pretty smart and I used to work a lot with computers and a lot of programming am I going crazy or is it just a little bit weird that there’s so many so many variables with apples OSs and compatibility

By my situation do you mean my own interface my own hardware? I suppose that might be a little bit explainable but really I Deleigh I don’t think that up a new OS should be there on stable and that in the way it is designed which by definition not inherit anything from older oss hence Stability shoul only increase should I get worse

I’d love to hear your thoughts on it since you speak in a really cool and respectful way unlike some people on this form

Please don't take David's response as anything other than intended - helpful advice. This forum is always respectful, and please try to assume that when responding. We're all trying to help each other here. Please also be respectful to David - respect works both ways.

Of course there are variables with compatability - for example, I can write whatever software I please and run it on the Mac - Apple can't be responsible for what my software does. There are an infinite amount of variables - you might think it's completely possible for Apple to guarantee compatability for every one of those infinte variables, but this is just not reality.

They take responsibility for their own software, but they can't take responsibility for third-party software (or hardware). If you *only* run Apple software on your Mac, and install no third-party components at all, use no third-party hardware, then you can generally expect a decent experience. But as soon as you install software from third-parties, there is now no single person who can take responsibility for your system, other than you, and the various warranties and support of the third-party software you purchase/install.

If this worries you, then my recommendation is to limit your use of third-party software, and just stick to OSX + Logic, and I'm sure it will work just fine. However, you may come across bugs that may affect your workflow - again, contrary to what you think, *all* software has bugs, it's *impossible* to produce anything other than very basic software without bugs.

I don't know what else you are running, so I cannot tell you what experience to expect, but I can advice you to mirror you're current system so you can always go back, which means you can then test out the new system without consequences - you'll then be in a better position to assess the variables and make an informed decision about how to proceed.

If it helps, I thought Sierra was probably my best OSX experience to date, but of course Logic 10.2.2 will have bugs (you can see the fixed bugs in versions after that to see what was fixed.) But hopefully now you have some idea of how to proceed investigating and testing upgrading your system without so much worry.

Please don't take David's response as anything other than intended - helpful advice. This forum is always respectful, and please try to assume that when responding. We're all trying to help each other here. Please also be respectful to David - respect works both ways.

Of course there are variables with compatability - for example, I can write whatever software I please and run it on the Mac - Apple can't be responsible for what my software does. There are an infinite amount of variables - you might think it's completely possible for Apple to guarantee compatability for every one of those infinte variables, but this is just not reality.

They take responsibility for their own software, but they can't take responsibility for third-party software (or hardware). If you *only* run Apple software on your Mac, and install no third-party components at all, use no third-party hardware, then you can generally expect a decent experience. But as soon as you install software from third-parties, there is now no single person who can take responsibility for your system, other than you, and the various warranties and support of the third-party software you purchase/install.

If this worries you, then my recommendation is to limit your use of third-party software, and just stick to OSX + Logic, and I'm sure it will work just fine. However, you may come across bugs that may affect your workflow - again, contrary to what you think, *all* software has bugs, it's *impossible* to produce anything other than very basic software without bugs.

I don't know what else you are running, so I cannot tell you what experience to expect, but I can advice you to mirror you're current system so you can always go back, which means you can then test out the new system without consequences - you'll then be in a better position to assess the variables and make an informed decision about how to proceed.

If it helps, I thought Sierra was probably my best OSX experience to date, but of course Logic 10.2.2 will have bugs (you can see the fixed bugs in versions after that to see what was fixed.) But hopefully now you have some idea of how to proceed investigating and testing upgrading your system without so much worry.

Again thanks for your answer

How come on windows there are so many third-party vendors running software there is an API that an operating system has the win API for example If the API and the basic OS code works then other parties can also make functioning features in apps

Why would Apple be different?

I also wish there wasnt a Coded manner of What’s appropriate and what isn’t as far as a question on this form

There isn't one. The only manners that are inappropriate are posted in full view in our Policies and Guidelines: faq.php

it makes someone feel very alienated and left out and hurt when all they’re trying to do is just get info - Like there’s a secret handshake that no one has told you it’s like being bullied in a way . We’re certain questions aren’t even answered because there’s a certain logic to what is a valid question what isn’t

There is no such thing as a question that is valid and one that is not. I am very sorry to hear you feel bullied or alienated. Rest assured that as the admin here that is the very last thing I want to hear coming from any of our members! :( Maybe you found the tone in Fuzzfilth's answer too casual? It's just his particular brand of humour, I doubt he meant any harm. But even if his tone was casual, that does not make your question invalid, it's just a way of answering: we don't know, which was pretty much my and des99's answers as well.

Normally, there should be no issues. However there's nothing we can guarantee, and on any machine, on any platform, Windows like Mac, any set of a specific OS version with a specific software has a potential to have issues. Independent of MacOS, all the Logic versions I've ever used from 4.7 to 10.5.1 have had their own collection of bugs. It is unfortunately something we've grown accustomed to as a "normal" situation, whether we like it or not. But other than that, there's no specific reason to think that you'll get more issues with that specific combo you've mentioned vs any other. It's just that whenever you're trying a new combo, there's the potential to discover new (or different) issues compared to what you're currently running.

Hope that helps clearing up the previous answers you got earlier.