Mojave or Catalina

JCcares

Sorry for being another one that questions this here.I have pretty decent Mac but have been hesitant to upgrade to Catalina.One of the reasons is that I'm in a middle of a project.All my plugins are upgraded so no worries about that.Will Catalina give me better speed & handling of plugins? Any downside of upgrading?!

Do not do it unless you know for certain there is a feature you need or wants in catalina and that everything you own will run on it... If you want to keep using any apps that are 32bit-only..then forget about Catalina for now.

All my plugins are upgraded from 32.I was just hoping to get some better speed with Catalina.But will take your advice on that.

1. Never upgrade during a project. Never. Ignore this and you will cry eventually.

2. Catalina does not improve performance over Mojave.

3. Catalina will make all your 32-bit software (apps, plugins, virtual instruments) non-functional. To see what that means on your machine, go into About this Mac> System Report>Software>Older software. Judge yourself if you want to bear the consequences.

• Like 2

Yep ^^^

I see no point whatever of upgrading to Catlina until/unless Apple tells me I can't upgrade LogicPro unless I upgrade to catalina. Many people would say that will be the next version of LogicPro perhaps. However other people are saying next LogicPro will be LogicPro11, and My guess is that LogicPro 11 will require Big Sur. But we shall see.

In any case, I see no point at all in upgrading to Catalina unless it has a specific new feature you need. Otherwise you are likely to break something you have that only runs 32bit. In my case, I would lose the ability to run a couple little apps that are only 32bit and will probably never be updated to 64bit. For example, the editor/librarian for my Vox Tonelab Guitar pedalboard will never be updated. I love this guitar device and don't plan to replace it for years in the future. So unless I come up with a better way to edit its sounds, then i will not move to Catalina simply because of that alone! Or I will give up and only program it with the knobs on the device...if and when Apple tells me I need to upgrade to Catalina in order to get some new whiz bang feature in LogicPro that I just can't live without. Ok... at that point I have to lose something to get something and I'll make a decision at that time.

Do not upgrade Catalina just because you think you will have a warm and fuzzy feeling by having the latest one. I have some other 32bit apps which I know will never be updated also. The authors even say its not even remotely on their radar to do so, because mostly they are windows based and Microsoft is wise enough to continue allowing 32bit apps to run on 64bit windows. Apple is not, so on apple, if you move to Catalina, you might lose some functionality. or you might not. Be aware. Run the go64 utility to find out. It will even look inside of App bundles for hidden little utilities, uninstaller, installers and other such things that might be 32bit.

At some point everyone will have to leave 32bit behind but me personally I won't give up my useful 32bit apps until there is some compelling reason that I have to.

• Like 1

You could always create a dual boot system and try Catalina out before you commit to updating Mojave. If for any reason you feel the need to keep Mojave and still want the features of Catalina you can leave both on your system. If you don’t feel the need to keep Mojave around (or vida versa) you can revert back to a single boot system.

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2020/01/09/mojave-catalina-same-mac/

• 2 weeks later...
You could always create a dual boot system and try Catalina out before you commit to updating Mojave. If for any reason you feel the need to keep Mojave and still want the features of Catalina you can leave both on your system. If you don’t feel the need to keep Mojave around (or vida versa) you can revert back to a single boot system.

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2020/01/09/mojave-catalina-same-mac/

Thanks.Seems a good plan but some plugins may need a second authorization.

I'm getting a new computer that has Catalina installed, and my old computer has OS Mojave. When I record a project in the computer with Catalina and then import it into the computer with Mojave, will the project work as it should? Didn't know whether to start a new thread or just piggy back on this Catalina/Mojave thread.

• 4 weeks later...

While I decided to stay on Mojave,I just made an online purchase from Apple for Final Cut Pro.They sent me the redemption code but the App Store is asking me to Update to Catalina in order to use the code & download! I emailed them & I'm hoping they would make the code usable on Mojave.Is there a FCP version that works on Mojave?

Also pls let me know if having FCP & Logic on the same 2017 iMac would clash or cause it to slowdown.

I made the biggest mistake by upgrading to Catalina. Everything is very slow and driving me crazy. I wish I had read this post before I upgraded. Mojave was working fine for me. I hardly ever turn off my computer because it takes so long to boot up now not to mention how long it takes for the programs to boot up. If anyone knows of a way that's EASY to go back to Mojave please let me know. The frustration, which I'm sure all of you have experienced at some point, is killing me. I'm not used to this. Thanks.

I made the biggest mistake by upgrading to Catalina. Everything is very slow and driving me crazy. I wish I had read this post before I upgraded. Mojave was working fine for me. I hardly ever turn off my computer because it takes so long to boot up now not to mention how long it takes for the programs to boot up. If anyone knows of a way that's EASY to go back to Mojave please let me know. The frustration, which I'm sure all of you have experienced at some point, is killing me. I'm not used to this. Thanks.

what's happened exactly? i ran catalina from the first beta until the official big sur dropped without serious issue. sounds like something's damaged with your install... maybe. you could try running the combo update (it will overwrite your OS; to be safe, back everything up first)

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2052?locale=en_US

instead of going backwards, move forwards... fix what's wrong. try the combo update, and/or reset the nvram on your mac. or get someone to help... good luck!

Fisherking, thanks for your quick response. I will try the combo update. Don't remember how to reset the nvram. Should I try that first before the combo update? Thanks.

try the nvram reset first: https://www.macworld.com/article/2881177/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html

backup before you do anything, just to be safe. if the reset doesn't help, you can do the combo update; it writes over the OS, but does not remove your files, apps, etc.

• 1 year later...
On 11/17/2020 at 2:19 PM, triplets said:

Forget Catalina, it doesn't run any faster, and has way more "annoying" security features.

I have both and I prefer Mojave. Less intrusive in that sense.

Triplets, I know this is an old post, but since this post (from your signature) I've seen that you've upgraded to Catalina on your MBP. I have the same model and was thinking about upgrading for better features, but avoid performance issues. I've always considered you the expert in the mid 2012 machines, so would i be wise to upgrade to Catalina from Mojave at this time?

2 hours ago, suddengeoff said:

Unfortunately now after upgrading to Catalina, there is no more upgrade path to LPX 10.6.3 😣 so now I'm stuck at 10.5.1

Zip your current Logic version (for safety), delete the uncompressed version, open App Store. This should inform you that you can't install the most current version but should offer also to install the highest version working on your OS.

37 minutes ago, gacki said:

Zip your current Logic version (for safety), delete the uncompressed version, open App Store. This should inform you that you can't install the most current version but should offer also to install the highest version working on your OS.

Thanks for the tip! Will I lose my settings with this procedure?