Selection Based Processing Converting Mono to Stereo

seanmccoy

Like Bounce in Place, SbP doesn't convert anything, it bounces an audio signal. The bounced file has the format of the audio signal.

A couple of examples:

1. If a mono signal is routed to a stereo plug-in, bouncing with the effects yields a stereo file.

2. If a mono signal is routed to a stereo output, bouncing with the volume/pan automation bounces the output and yields a stereo file.

If you share a specific example of a case when you're expecting to bounce a mono signal but get a stereo file, post it here so we can explain what's going on in that specific case.

Thanks. I'm using Izotope RX7 Advanced's De-clicker to remove some mouth noise from vocal tracks. I've had it put back a stereo file a couple of times, both when doing the processing from the Mix page and from the Audio Editor. So the problem certainly could be with Izotope. I'll try a couple of methodical experiments today and check back in.

Thanks. I'm using Izotope RX7 Advanced's De-clicker to remove some mouth noise from vocal tracks. I've had it put back a stereo file a couple of times, both when doing the processing from the Mix page and from the Audio Editor. So the problem certainly could be with Izotope. I'll try a couple of methodical experiments today and check back in.

The question is, is the last plug-in in your plug-in chain mono or stereo? That determines whether you're bouncing a mono or a stereo file.

• 8 months later...

Hi.

I'm having this same dilemma.

Go figure.

Trying to normalize a mono hi-hat track. It's on a mono Logic track.

It's not routed to stereo anywhere. It has no plug-ins on the track.

Creates a stereo file every time.

Driving me bananas.

Gotta be something stupid.

Looks like I haven't been here in about a decade and a half!

Whoo-Hoo.

Slippy

Trying to normalize a mono hi-hat track. It's on a mono Logic track.

How exactly? If you’re bouncing, then this sounds like case #2.

Hey bud!

OK.

REALLY not sure what's going on here as I have done this a number of times in the past and have always been able to figure out WHERE in the bounce chain something is putting the signal in a stereo field.

This on my 2014 Mac Pro trashhcan machine running 10.5.1. To update the OS beyond Mojave is to strand roughly $30k worth of esoteric AD/DA.

Someday. Maybe soon. Not today.

I actually just created a new "clean" document specifically for the task as the old machine is in mid-mix and hooked up to a rather extensive hybrid summing rig.

It is also running a similarly extensive Source-Connect aggregate driver setup.

Which is how I bring home the bacon these days.

Anyhoo. The outcome is still the same.

Stereo file is created.

I'm wholly open(as always, not sure if you remember me) to the distinct possibility that I'm screwing the pooch by finger error here.

It's why I posted.

I'm about to go try it on one of my newer machines running 10.6.2.

Good to see you're still here fighting the good fight.

It's crazy out there now, as far as the inmates running the asylum!

Best regards and I'll letcha know how I do on the newer hardware/software system with the exact same task.

Slippy

Okay.

Days and hours later.

No joy.

Have a zillion ways to do this, including the handy-dandy Logic normalization from the functions menu thingie.

Why bother?

Logic guy since the Atari STE520 days.

That's why.

Ahh me.

OK.

Here's what my assistant(who's 12500 miles away in New Jersey) said as he watched me lose my mind in the selection based processing menu 4 or 5 times...

"What happens if you put the plug in chain selector to B?"

In all my crazy flailing, it had never occurred to me.

I knew the "rules" about bouncing in mono/stereo, was fastidiously making sure I adhered to them, and in the definition of madness, trying the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

Of course, it worked flawlessly.

Crash.

Kill me now.

Any idea how this could be possible?

That is: I could pull all plugs off a track, route it to a mono output, and get my stereo ass handed to me?

*Sigh*

Thanks for reading and responding:

I won't wait 15 years to post again!

Slippy

That is: I could pull all plugs off a track, route it to a mono output, and get my stereo ass handed to me?

How exactly are you normalizing? Are you bouncing? What menu, or key command exactly are you choosing, what settings?

I tried to reproduce: here I have an audio track with a stereo audio region, the channel strip is set to a mono input and a mono output, Control-click and choose bounce in place, I get a mono file as a result, whether or not I select "Include Volume/Pan Automation":

render.gif.62ff91806749f74eb71340a474eb72a0.gif

• 2 months later...

Hey Bud! Forgot to return till now.

OK. I'm a moron.

What I didn't have my head around was the Process A and B Channel strips.

And the fact you can control them for mono or stereo outcome.

So simple. Always is!

Ahh me.

My own worst enemy since the Bronze Age!

All good now!

Now if I could just get to the point where I can flex large track count free time multitracks without endless agony...

I think it's just a flat out daunting undertaking for any DAW.

Logic will do it, but it's a considerable amount of "educating" the program to make it work accurately.

Onward... Into the fog!

Slippy

Let the beatings continue till morale improves!