Logic Pro 10.6 is out

David Nahmani

How do I update to Logic Pro X 10.6? (...) EDIT: I had to go to the App Store website and click on the Update button there - weird how it was not directly in the App Store when I checked

The App Store does some weird things like that sometimes. For me 10.6 didn't immediately show up then after quitting and restarting the App Store a few times it finally showed up when I searched for it (but not in the Update tab). So the opposite of what you experienced.

I'm not sure if there's a way to refresh the App Store while it's open to check for new content? Anyone knows?

Glad to know it isn't just me. Haha. I tried restarting, etc. Still no update option

How do I update to Logic Pro X 10.6? (...) EDIT: I had to go to the App Store website and click on the Update button there - weird how it was not directly in the App Store when I checked

The App Store does some weird things like that sometimes. For me 10.6 didn't immediately show up then after quitting and restarting the App Store a few times it finally showed up when I searched for it (but not in the Update tab). So the opposite of what you experienced.

I'm not sure if there's a way to refresh the App Store while it's open to check for new content? Anyone knows?

Cmd+R like in Safari...

Blink

Cmd+R like in Safari...

Thanks! I see, that works for the Updates tab, but not when I do a search for example for "Logic Pro" , or when I'm on the Logic Pro page.

Probably, that’s what I had to do to see LP10.6. When I open the App Store it wasn’t there, after cmd+R it showed up. Waiting a bit before upgrading. That makes me think, “Mike Audio” contacted me 2 days ago for a follow-up on a bug report for 10.5.1...

Blink

Also David, would you recommend upgrading to Big Sur?

Only if you are not in the middle of sensitive projects and have some time on your hand and don't have tons of 3rd party plug-ins that may or may not introduce new compatibility issues with the OS....

Yes. Currently in the middle of projects. So far I only have been using 2 third party plugins for those. I also have a zip backup of Logic Pro X 10.5

Yes. Currently in the middle of projects. So far I only have been using 2 third party plugins for those. I also have a zip backup of Logic Pro X 10.5

I would recommend you wait until you end those and have time to experiment - or are ready to set up to start a new project. You can however install 10.6 if you've made a backup of 10.5.

I would recommend you wait until you end those and have time to experiment - or are ready to set up to start a new project. You can however install 10.6 if you've made a backup of 10.5.

Agreed. I want to upgrade to 10.6 but I still cannot see the option from my App Store in Catalina. Waiting for a workaround

command-R will reload the page you are on (ie the update page).

anyway, on my catalina imac, i opened the app store, and logic, final cut, and pages were all there, waiting to be updated...

the new icon is SO much better (but i will continue to use a custom app icon, as i've done since forever).

Is it though? I personally really detest the iOS-ification of all the app icons… a lot of Big Sur's new features sound like worthwhile upgrades, but I really am not a fan of the UI changes. The new Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro (I notice they did away with the "X") icons look like Fisher-Price versions of their former selves to me. Same for MainStage, now that I look at it.

Which, here's a weird one: why does MainStage not show up on the search results page (though it shows up in the auto-fill suggestions), and why is the webpage for it clearly so out of date? https://www.apple.com/mainstage/

I always just hit Command-R on the updates page… it's always worked for me [shrug]

the new icon is SO much better (but i will continue to use a custom app icon, as i've done since forever).

Is it though? I personally really detest the iOS-ification of all the app icons… a lot of Big Sur's new features sound like worthwhile upgrades, but I really am not a fan of the UI changes. The new Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro (I notice they did away with the "X") icons look like Fisher-Price versions of their former selves to me. Same for MainStage, now that I look at it.

Which, here's a weird one: why does MainStage not show up on the search results page (though it shows up in the auto-fill suggestions), and why is the webpage for it clearly so out of date? https://www.apple.com/mainstage/

is the logic icon so different than it was? it's square, and simpler (personally, i always hated the original LX icon). anyway, looks a lot better to me, and fits better with apple's other app icons. still, am more concerned with how things work than how they look (altho am quite content with big sur's sleek GUI)...

I always just hit Command-R on the updates page… it's always worked for me [shrug]

EDIT: I'm rusty; it's been so long since I was frequent on here. Completely forgot to make sure others hadn't already offered the answer yet! :lol:

is the logic icon so different than it was? it's square, and simpler (personally, i always hated the original LX icon). anyway, looks a lot better to me, and fits better with apple's other app icons. still, am more concerned with how things work than how they look (altho am quite content with big sur's sleek GUI)...

Interesting. I had no issues with the LPX icon because it was basically LP9's icon with a little less detail. But now it's forced into a new shape to look similar to the square icons on iOS and iPadOS… I just don't see the point. Feels "hand-holdy" for the less tech literate. I'm of the mind that a bit of distinction for all the icons is helpful. But I digress.

I really love the idea of using my iPad's Smart Keyboard to send key commands to Logic! I'm living in NY now for grad school, and the move meant I had to refashion my layout a bit, so instead of everything being in arm's reach, it's all aligned laterally. (Inefficient, but necessary for now.) I was instinctively using key commands just yesterday on the Remote. It may almost be at the point that I won't have any interest in an outboard control surface anymore! But… I don't know if I want to update before the end of the semester. I have way too many projects to complete per week to risk downtime from unexpected issues.

Nice catch! It's a new feature in 10.6 indeed. Interestingly it's listed only as a bug fix: "Entering a chord in the Piano Roll chord editor for the first time now longer always enter a “Cno3” chord." .... and even more interestingly, it always enters a Cno3 chord here. :?

I have a feeling this update was rushed to support new M1 macs and Big Sur release. They obviously didn’t finished some of the stuff they are working on...even the preferences GUI feels half-updated/unfinished....

Also they screwed track icons. It has some ugly aliasing on it now. I hope it will be fixed soon.

Dang, I'm out. Too many 32bit things will break. Did upgrade to Metal only a while ago to get to 10.5, new bugs with 10.5.1 and now this. Not pleased.

Same here. Well, sort of, planned to get a metal compatible GPU next week so I could finally move to Mojave (still on High Sierra, never change a running system and all that...), but I may as well just ditch that for the time being (as 10.5 seems to be buggier than 10.4).

Enjoying bug fixes now requires buying a new computer - nice move, Apple!

Yeah, I could *hack* Catalina onto my 5,1 MP, but that's something I wanted to avoid (not necessarily because of the hack but because of Catalina).