Logic Pro 10.6 is out

David Nahmani

Very disappointed it no longer supports Mojave. So now I’m really out of luck as my MP doesn’t do Catalina.

Me too... My Hack has been great since 2011, but it will not support anything beyond Mojave. AND if I could get Catalina to run, everyone says its garbage.

Anyone try the Logic Remote update with 10.5.1, does it work?

I'm not a fan of annual OS updates being major releases either, but there isn't that much of a difference if it sticks to the routine of alternating new feature releases / refinements and improvements each year, which Apple more or less has done since shifting to this schedule. In a sense, it's just using more macro-level version numbering to do the job. (Dumb idea, but that's their prerogative. On that note, I also don't think the "alternating focus model" was intended, but is rather a result of the marketing and money guys taking the helm from the design guys over the years and not learning a lesson from the issues that come up.)

That said, I don't fully get all the complaints. It's like some of us aren't acknowledging the fact that with Catalina, Apple nixed all 32-bit support, and they just released an entire new architecture that's immensely 64-bit. LP 10.6 only supporting Catalina and Big Sur is a pain, but it's a pain that makes sense in the larger scope for the business, and I suspect that Catalina will be supported for an eventual 10.7 and 10.8, at the least. Apple's at a transition nexus here, and I think the alternate option—find a way to support x86, x86-64, and M1 architecture—would instead appease no one because it would just be a bevy of compromises.

Granted, it's a little easier for me to say all this since I just ponied up a ton of money out of my financial aid to upgrade from two 12-year-old systems that were stuck on El Capitan and LP 10.3, including having to invest in all new USB-C, USB-3 and Thunderbolt 3 devices… I already bit the bullet, so I'm not having to face doing so again for another decade, if I play my cards right again.

Also, I notice David was quick to update the forum's app icon (though not MainStage yet)…

Here's an interesting one, not for nothing: just had a moment of shock because I thought my computer updated on its own overnight. Apparently it did, according to the App Store, but I'm pretty sure I had Logic open still. Take a look at this, and notice the mismatch of app icon and version:

976215477_ScreenShot2020-11-14at2_43_18PM.thumb.png.6eda9081e4a343b08a7ae7f6198d4f69.png

Well, if the app updated while it was still open, the various assets like icons in the app bundle would have been changed on disk, so when you next went to open the about window, the icon is loaded from disk into memory to draw the view and thus it's the updated one.

If you quit Logic and re-run it, I'm sure everything will be fine.

Well, if the app updated while it was still open, the various assets like icons in the app bundle would have been changed on disk, so when you next went to open the about window, the icon is loaded from disk into memory to draw the view and thus it's the updated one.

If you quit Logic and re-run it, I'm sure everything will be fine.

Thanks! I did, and now 10.6 opened. I wasn't worried or anything—I had already zipped 10.5.1 just in case (though forgot to do the same for MainStage! :shock: )—just was surprised that it would update like that. Didn't even clue in until I went to the app switcher and saw the new icon for Pages as well.

I have started to get Metronome Click on visual warnings too :D

Edit: It comes up when the Metronome Icon is not visible but why?

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 22.46.52.png

This is a new feature. Key commands that toggle a state now show a user notification with the new state if the state isn't shown anywhere else. It seems you have set user notifications for Logic Pro to "Alerts", not "Banners". Banners are ahown in the upper left, are nonmodal and are dismissed automatically.

[quote name="hackakhan"

This is a new feature. Key commands that toggle a state now show a user notification with the new state if the state isn't shown anywhere else. It seems you have set user notifications for Logic Pro to "Alerts"' date=' not "Banners". Banners are ahown in the upper left, are nonmodal and are dismissed automatically.[/quote]

Thanks did not know about it. It was set to banner but it shows alert when clicked on the banner. Good to be able to turn it off completely.

Is it still possible to only upgrade to catalina?

Yes.

This is the danish version download page (you're danish, right? I seem to remember something...), possibly with german framework around:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2048?viewlocale=da_DK&locale=de_DE

Thanks Sascha. Well remembered. Backing up projects and itunes library now and then upgrading.

I downloaded 10.6.0 yesterday. I can't find anything referring to a chord editor anywhere unless I'm not looking in the right place. The only obvious thing I have so far is that I have to download 50GB of library sounds. Is this part of the update? Library was up to date so i wonder if it's similar to a weirdness reported a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers

I downloaded 10.6.0 yesterday. I can't find anything referring to a chord editor anywhere unless I'm not looking in the right place. The only obvious thing I have so far is that I have to download 50GB of library sounds. Is this part of the update? Library was up to date so i wonder if it's similar to a weirdness reported a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers

Sounds like some weirdness indeed: no, there isn't 50GB of new library sounds as part of the update.

The Chord editor is in the View menu in the Piano Roll.

The Chord global track checkbox is in the Global Tracks pane (Option-G).

Sounds like some weirdness indeed: no, there isn't 50GB of new library sounds as part of the update.

hmmm

That's where I was looking. Not there.

Found that but doesn't add that extra space like in your GIF.

hmmm

That's where I was looking. Not there.

Found that but doesn't add that extra space like in your GIF.

It's possible they've changed the download I suppose, as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread. In any case it doesn't do anything (other than adding that extra black space) so I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Another thing I just noticed: is it just me, or did the "header" space just right of the piano keys get needlessly bigger? I don't remember it looking like this before, and try as I might, I'm not able to drag it any smaller than this. It's taking up space that should be used for the controls at the left. (Hoping there's just something about this pane that I've never dealt with before.)

923001422_ScreenShot2020-11-15at2_54_06PM.thumb.png.551f5b2f0946a17d53f0514e29bb94f5.png