Logic Pro 10.6 is out

David Nahmani

:shock:

Yep...even though I couldn't use Smart Controls or Drum machine Designer I was just getting into the groove of 10.5 . I should get a notification when updating Logic, but this time around it was auto so now im stuck on 10.6. Rolling back does not look like an option since everything its tied to the app store. I'm on a patched version of Catalina which is probably tied to a lot of these problems and it just being an older mac. Still no playhead is new one for me... Im gonna reinstall, restart and just cross my fingers.

Edit- So now Drum Machine Designer DOES work for me in 10.6, not 10.5, but still no playhead lol.

I'm on a patched version of Catalina which is probably tied to a lot of these problems and it just being an older mac. Still no playhead is new one for me...

Ahh, that is a possible explanation: Logic Pro switched from using the deprecated OpenGL to Metal and the playhead is drawn that way. This points to your patched version not supporting Metal correctly, probably because your video hardware doesn't support it. That is a non-issue for non-patched Catalinas, because officially Catalina is only supported on hardware _with_ Metal anyway.

:shock:

Yep...even though I couldn't use Smart Controls or Drum machine Designer I was just getting into the groove of 10.5 . I should get a notification when updating Logic, but this time around it was auto so now im stuck on 10.6. Rolling back does not look like an option since everything its tied to the app store. I'm on a patched version of Catalina which is probably tied to a lot of these problems and it just being an older mac. Still no playhead is new one for me... Im gonna reinstall, restart and just cross my fingers.

Edit- So now Drum Machine Designer DOES work for me in 10.6, not 10.5, but still no playhead lol.

i think the patch is the problem too... but try changing the screen resolution (and then back to your default), see if anything changes. just an idea...

It's not the patch as such, it's that Metal doesn't exist (the patch doesn't make a software version of Metal exist) - so any graphics code that requires Metal on machines without it will either fail/crash or not work properly.

The patch just let's you install and use the OS on non-metal supporting machines, it does nothing for the existence of Metal itself.

Very disappointed it no longer supports Mojave. So now I’m really out of luck as my MP doesn’t do Catalina.

yeah, Catalina itself has been a nightmare, any terminal commands and the OS will brick your drives from mounting, Apple had the nerve to tell me that the reason my drives where not mounting was because they failed, yet...they work on new user accounts I would create as well as my iPad Pro and PC laptop running windows., Diskwarrior also accuses apple of holding back data for their end to provide software that can actually rebuild Catalina formatted drives.

The only reason I can think of Apple doing all this is GREED., you would think technology advances, faster computers, longer lasting batteries, higher audio video res is the goal but no way. instead they roll backwards by making Logic Pro garage band like and remove audio jacks, its like the conspiracy theories about the government intentionally keeping everyone in Chaos and recklessly harassing citizens via state actors to extort the public of their hard earned tax dollars which is the exact opposite of working to find solutions in the best interest of their citizens., Apple locks everything up, creates products already broken out of the box to distract us while price jacking accessories! , I was expecting Logic to do more this time around NOT LESS!

Very disappointed it no longer supports Mojave. So now I’m really out of luck as my MP doesn’t do Catalina.

yeah, Catalina itself has been a nightmare, any terminal commands and the OS will brick your drives from mounting, Apple had the nerve to tell me that the reason my drives where not mounting was because they failed, yet...they work on new user accounts I would create as well as my iPad Pro and PC laptop running windows., Diskwarrior also accuses apple of holding back data for their end to provide software that can actually rebuild Catalina formatted drives.

The only reason I can think of Apple doing all this is GREED., you would think technology advances, faster computers, longer lasting batteries, higher audio video res is the goal but no way. instead they roll backwards by making Logic Pro garage band like and remove audio jacks, its like the conspiracy theories about the government intentionally keeping everyone in Chaos and recklessly harassing citizens via state actors to extort the public of their hard earned tax dollars which is the exact opposite of working to find solutions in the best interest of their citizens., Apple locks everything up, creates products already broken out of the box to distract us while price jacking accessories! , I was expecting Logic to do more this time around NOT LESS!

catalina continues to work great here (yet i'm going to risk it all & update to big sur, despite my rough time with an early beta). like every OS before it, some have a good experience, others... not. but sorry that, for you, catalina was a nightmare.

Chaos :lol: !

catalina continues to work great here (yet i'm going to risk it all & update to big sur, despite my rough time with an early beta). like every OS before it, some have a good experience, others... not. but sorry that, for you, catalina was a nightmare.

worse for others I know, a close friend of mine actually brought her MacBook to a Genius Bar after installing Catalina, her computer got bricked, when trying to re install the system online her wifi got bricked too, literally...It would fine the network and once connected the Apple server would refuse to allow any connections, then ...it completely stopped working...total black screen, no recharging or any sign of power plug connection..

After taking it to the Genius Bar and had some guy there she knows look at it he got it fixed very fast, nothing wrong with the power plug, battery or screen..it was CATALINA..but he would not share details to how or why..

Then a lock down took place and the guy stopped working at the Apple store in Paris, after a few months he told us some thing very disturbing about her computer, that when we had visited him Catalina did indeed connected to the server but because its a 2015 MacBook the software basically bricked it...I call this extortion and the way the online trend is going with no over site and con artists all over the net its hard to believe you will find a site that wants to criticise Tim Crook or Apple, now we have peak levels of people with brown lipstick all over the net. (if you ever listened to Frank Zappa you know what I mean)

worse for others I know, a close friend of mine actually brought her MacBook to a Genius Bar after installing Catalina, her computer got bricked, when trying to re install the system online her wifi got bricked too, literally...It would fine the network and once connected the Apple server would refuse to allow any connections, then ...it completely stopped working...total black screen, no recharging or any sign of power plug connection..

After taking it to the Genius Bar and had some guy there she knows look at it he got it fixed very fast, nothing wrong with the power plug, battery or screen..it was CATALINA..but he would not share details to how or why..

Then a lock down took place and the guy stopped working at the Apple store in Paris, after a few months he told us some thing very disturbing about her computer, that when we had visited him Catalina did indeed connected to the server but because its a 2015 MacBook the software basically bricked it...I call this extortion and the way the online trend is going with no over site and con artists all over the net its hard to believe you will find a site that wants to criticise Tim Crook or Apple, now we have peak levels of people with brown lipstick all over the net. (if you ever listened to Frank Zappa you know what I mean)

this is a pointless discussion; lots of pros work on catalina without issue. every version of the OS has had people complaining 'this is apple's worst OS ever', while others are happy, and working. for every 'catalina=fail' story, there's a mojave one, a high sierra one...etc. etc.

apple does what it chooses to do; i, for one, am grateful they move tech forwards, but as we know, there are always bumps in the road.

Catalina did indeed connected to the server but because its a 2015 MacBook the software basically bricked it...I call this extortion and the way the online trend is going with no over site and con artists all over the net.

Wow, that's literarily unbelievable! In the most literal sense too.

So, basically Apple have added to the Catalina installer some kind of check for older machines, and it then deliberately breaks them over a certain age?

Did the friend of a friend who left Apple explain how it chooses which machines to break? I'm guessing it's random as to not arouse suspicions(?). Most shocking is how many Genius Bar workers know this and are afraid to tell us.

Really, makes me consider who to trust when i read stuff like this.

But there is a huge moral difference between intentional and unintentional.

Very true. Just that I do not even for a split second believe that the No.1 company on the stock market even remotely gives a damn about morals. Not one of the, say, top 100 companies does.

Oh wow - hold on, does that mean I believe in them intentionally causing harm here and there? Yes, precisely, that's what I firmly believe. With historical evidence being all the way on my side. And yes, they know to hide it quite well - just well enough so most people believe in things not being done intentionally.

Whether that is so in this case, no idea. Most likely not. But bringing up morals when it's about Apple - phew, that's a far stretch.

I'll leave it at that, politics should possibly stay out of this thread (even if it's ethics rather than politics).

Oh wow - hold on, does that mean I believe in them intentionally causing harm here and there? Yes, precisely, that's what I firmly believe. With historical evidence being all the way on my side.

Can we please leave the conspiracy theories out of this forum, whatever your world view? There's enough of this elsewhere - if people want to go bitch about Apple, there are plenty of other forums for that where you'll find plenty of other people willing to indulge in that pastime.

Please stay on topic, people, thanks.

Well, Big Sur apparently bricks quite some machines, even if Apple says they're supported.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252033190

It's completely irrelevant that this isn't intentional. It's bad quality assurance.

as always, there are some issues, and apple will have to fix it. not the first time this sort-of thing has happened.

as always, there are some issues, and apple will have to fix it. not the first time this sort-of thing has happened.

Yeah, likely. And admittedly, it's pretty dumb not doing a backup before doing a substantial system update, especially given this is as easy as it gets with macOS. So, I'm not defending the affected users by any means - I only posted this because IMO it's proving that quality assurance gets less and less of a focus in Apple land (which, quite unfortunately, also applies to Logic).

My experience with apple so far has been that everything that happened that was THEIR fault, they acted on it in MY favour.

i.e.:

- exploded pixel on a 2012 retina 15" (free screen swap after warranty went out)

- screen peeling (was a recall programme) (same laptop)

- same laptop, battery went dead, and they didn't have parts so i had to wait for them. Because i had to wait one month, and the laptop was USABLE - it just said "service battery" but otherwise worked - they replaced the battery (whole top case) free of charge.

This laptop STILL WORKS. it's on high sierra for now, but i'm not really afraid of it bricking...

2018 15" i9

- i had more fuckups with this one.. i had dropouts in logic, it was on the "hot side" but supposedly still within normal operating range, one key kinda didn't work.

They took it in for a full refund after about a month of bickering and back&forths, eventhough i missed all return periods and they technically didn't have to.

When i was without a laptop for about three weeks with the whole 2018 bollocks, i used the 2008 (my gf's previous) 13" on El Capitan and it worked absolutely fine.

I don't think apple is deliberately bricking machines - and if they brick, like the Big Sur is doing now, i'm 100% certain they'll resolve any issue on their part in consumer's favour.

They can afford it and they benefit more from such stance in the long run.

edit:

On topic:

the NaN bug affecting some plugins is still present in 10.6. Devs don't know how to fix, i can't get anyone higher up at apple to tell me what the hell they changed in the audio engine.

Logic can output a lot dB from the master fader since 10.5, and my interface takes +24dB from the software playback, meaning that if something over FS blows out of logic's outputs, i get a 24dB boost on whatever level i have at 0dBFS.

It's caught me off guard a couple of times now and i'm really not sure why was this a good idea

Edited by Ploki