Logic Pro 10.6 is out

David Nahmani

I don't know if Apple have min order quantities still to fulfil with Intel. But really, i can see sales of Intel macs dropping like flies if these reports carry on.

As you say, what the hell is the 16" going to perform like. If i was in the market to buy this year i'd be slamming the brakes on and pausing for 12 months. That's not really ideal for Apple if they have many people queue in the 'wait and see' camp.

Intel macs suddenly feel so old lol :)

I don't know if Apple have min order quantities still to fulfil with Intel. But really, i can see sales of Intel macs dropping like flies if these reports carry on.

As you say, what the hell is the 16" going to perform like. If i was in the market to buy this year i'd be slamming the brakes on and pausing for 12 months. That's not really ideal for Apple if they have many people queue in the 'wait and see' camp.

Intel macs suddenly feel so old lol :)

i dunno, am happy with mine; i can work, have no issues. sometimes, bouncing a mix runs the fans, but only then. am excited about my next mac (couple of years, maybe). but we can work now, which is what matters most.

Alight, I just rebooted back to Mojave and LPX 10.5 to compare. Mojave and Logic 10.5 had transparent menus, but not nearly quite as transparent. Here are screen shots with same situation....scripter's white background behind a black menu...

10.5 on Mojave:

10.5.jpg

10.6 on Catalina:

transparency.jpg

Sorry, but how do you get that transparency?

I'm on Catalina and LP 10.6 and haven't that at all...

Alight, I just rebooted back to Mojave and LPX 10.5 to compare. Mojave and Logic 10.5 had transparent menus, but not nearly quite as transparent. Here are screen shots with same situation....scripter's white background behind a black menu...

10.5 on Mojave:

10.5.jpg

10.6 on Catalina:

transparency.jpg

Maybe it matters which Mac you're on? I can't think of anything I did to turn it on. I have a Metal Card. You must too in order to run Catalina. I have no idea how or why it would be on for me and not for you..

i dunno, am happy with mine; i can work, have no issues. sometimes, bouncing a mix runs the fans, but only then. am excited about my next mac (couple of years, maybe). but we can work now, which is what matters most.

Same here. Spent a ton to get an absolute monster of a computer in my 16", which then wound up being exactly what I needed for the graduate program I got into. I was shocked when I learned a year or so ago (on here, actually) that people were replacing their Mac Pro 3,1s with Mac Minis and seeing boosts. I still drool over the look of the new Mac Pros, but with Silicon now, I think my next desktop workstation might be a refreshed Mac Mini…

Maybe it matters which Mac you're on? I can't think of anything I did to turn it on. I have a Metal Card. You must too in order to run Catalina. I have no idea how or why it would be on for me and not for you..

I had this conversation with Ploki yesterday. I don't remember turning it on, but my accessibility settings were set to reduce transparency. Once I turned it off, I saw that too. (I wonder if it has to do with the fact that I migrated data from my old laptop on El Cap when I first set this one up… :?: )

I think the amount of transparency, at least in LogicPro, has been increased, making it more noticeable. But also if you had that accessibility setting set before and now it turned off during your upgrade..maybe that would have made it more shocking. In my case I was looking transparency before, but there was just less of it before. I prefer the overall look of the desktop, main menu, dock and many other things, with transparency on...I just wish LogicPro 10.6 didn't overdue it a little bit with the pull down menus. In my view, anything I need to read fronts off (like a menu) , should not be so transparent.

When you turn off transparency in accessibility, then the menu bar turns pure white, the docker become opaque and many things are less enjoyable to look at compared to when its on. Pull down menus are whiter, with it off too...when its on, the main menu and pulldown menus have just a slight hue to them that is easier on the eyes.

really I was totally fine with the transparency that was there before, I think they just over did it in LogicPro and with the dark theme its more apparent also...easy for white stuff behind a dark menu to leak through and make it harder to read white fonts.

Unless Apple changes that, only reason I see people still buying Intel Macs are those who will need to run macOS and Windows on the same machine.

Blink

Unless Apple changes that, only reason I see people still buying Intel Macs are those who will need to run macOS and Windows on the same machine.

True, i'm one of those users too. I think an ARM build of windows will be the eventual answer... however long that is. I can't see Parallels (Which i currently use) getting there any time soon.

But even being in that camp i'm looking at these lower tier machines and thinking price wise i could easily warrant a cheap PC to run alongside it and just remote desktop/VNC to it.

somehow magically smart controls and Drum Machine Designer work in 10.5 as well

Ok this is very strange. On a patched machine, those features call Metal which returns a null address because Metal isn't there, and Logic 10.5.x crashes.

(The whole point of the patched versions of Mojave/Catalina is to run on machines with Metal.)

There seems to be a lot of weird, unexplained and magical stuff happening on your machine - maybe it's been sprinkled with fairy dust but I can't see how this would not crash, but if that really is the case, I'd love to know what's going on here, because yours will be the only machine I've seen where Logic 10.5.x doen't crash under these circumstances.

Are you *sure* you didn't accidentally run 10.4.8 or something, instead of 10.5.x?

What machine are you running this on?

I on a 2011 i7 macbook pro OS Catalina patched. I don't have any version of 10.4.8 and my back up of 10.4.4 didn't open on my computer (would just give pinwheel while opening Logic). I don't know what to tell you but both smart controls and Drum machine designer were working "magically" on 10.5. I didn't dive into them too much, but there was no crashing when opening smart controls or when importing sounds into DMD UI, which is much farther I got in the past. Still working with them was like walking on egg shells in fear my project would crash so left both alone so, it was really only a test than actual proof they fully worked on 10.5. I managed to get 10.5.1 and after I updated to that now they aren't working, but I'm fine without them as I really just needed the playhead to appear in my projects.

Hi, didn't read the whole topic i'm sorry but... Isn't Logic 10.6 buggy as hell for you guys?

I mean, even more than usual.

Here are some of the new bugs I encountered:

- No region on the track but it's playing anyway (best one)

- A region is here but nothing is playing

- Tempo x2 in the middle of a midi loop (L + L again fixed it)

Both of those are potential display issues as discussed above, are you running a metal capable GPU?

No it’s not a display issue : all the other tracks are ok.

I guess it’s more a problem with take folders

Hi, didn't read the whole topic i'm sorry but... Isn't Logic 10.6 buggy as hell for you guys?

I mean, even more than usual.

Here are some of the new bugs I encountered:

- Tempo x2 in the middle of a midi loop (L + L again fixed it)

10.6 has some bugs, yes, but I haven't experienced the ones you just listed. This 10.6 thread is becoming rather long, I strongly suggest you start a new topic for each individual issue you're experiencing so that we can tackle one at a time in a more organized fashion. Thanks! :D The first one you listed sounds like it could be a tuning software caching the audio...

Bug Sur runs on all machines that currently run Catalina AFAIK, so I'm not sure why you think this is pushing hardware upgrades? It's more like it's *supporting* the new machines, which you'd expect of Apple software. And the new Logic still runs on Catalina, no hardware upgrade required... (except for those of us on very old machines for now...)

Sadly, not quite true. Both of my Macs are on Catalina but not compatible with Big Sur. I was likely going to upgrade my iMac to its ARM iteration next year anyway.

Both of my Macs are on Catalina but not compatible with Big Sur.

Which Macs? As far as I'm aware, any Mac that can *genuinely* run Catalina, should be able to run Big Sur.

Or are you on technically unsupported Macs but using a patch to run Catalina on them? - which is a whole different thing.

Thanks Jay. Just looking at the compatibility chart:-

2015 and later MacBook

2013 and later MacBook Air

2013 and later MacBook Pro

2014 and later Mac mini

2014 and later iMac

2017 and later iMac Pro

2013 and later Mac Pro

It does seem that the 2013 iMacs and Mini's are not Big Sur compatible - strange, I wonder why that is..?

Edit: Looks like you can unofficially install Big Sur on 2013 iMacs... (Google for deets...)

Both of my Macs are on Catalina but not compatible with Big Sur.

Which Macs? As far as I'm aware, any Mac that can *genuinely* run Catalina, should be able to run Big Sur.

Or are you on technically unsupported Macs but using a patch to run Catalina on them? - which is a whole different thing.

Nope. Both my 13" mid-2012 MacBook Pro and my late 2012 27" iMacs end with Catalina. I had upgraded both to SSD and their max RAM, so they are actually doing fine, but I think I'll be able to get a lot out of the ARM iteration of a new iMac when they are released next year.