Logic Pro 10.6 is out

David Nahmani

"When opening projects that contain EXS instruments that can’t be found, Sampler now shows the names of the missing instruments."

Yes!!

Note - 10.6 has Catalina as a minimum requirement.

"The “Bypass All Effects Plug-ins” command on channel strips now acts as a toggle."

10.4 to 10.5 big update, 10.5 to 10.6 a big update for performances and bugs

When will see new instruments (like the Collection Keyboards on GarageBand for iOS)”Wind Studio” instruments (like strings studio) and new loops? Update Delay designer design like Space designer, All new pitch correction, new synths(also design for the older) and what about new splash screen LOL

EDIT: I see a new semi splash screen LOL

EDIT 2: GarageBand is also updated and bring new instruments and loops sorry Apple! (but why only Big Sur)?

Edited by aviorrok

Those of us running on Classic Mac Pro towers only need to wait for the update fashion to loop around, like skinny ties, back to Intel chips, or at least to "revolutionary" PowerPC chips :mrgreen:

Oh, and yes you CAN shoehorn Catalina into a Classic Mac Pro. But this hard sell update pressure is getting annoying.

Edited by fernandraynaud

S1 5, Reaper, and Cubase 11, DP - all support Mojave.

Sure, and probably none of them support Apple Silicon yet. This transition is one of the reasons Apple have been cleaning up MacOS from the old, legacy and 32-bit stuff, and this is why they require Catalina at a minimum.

I get that my Mac is 8 years old, but this does seem like Apple is pushing hardware upgrades. Guess that is why it’s 10.6 and not 10.5.5

Bug Sur runs on all machines that currently run Catalina AFAIK, so I'm not sure why you think this is pushing hardware upgrades? It's more like it's *supporting* the new machines, which you'd expect of Apple software. And the new Logic still runs on Catalina, no hardware upgrade required... (except for those of us on very old machines for now...)

haven't played with it much yet (the orange bar highlighting the current track is a nice touch). opens fast, feels fluid (am on catalina). the new icon is SO much better (but i will continue to use a custom app icon, as i've done since forever). and 3rd-party plugins have stopped opening on the very bottom right of the screen (thank u apple).

final cut looks good, also seems... smoother. but i think that happens with every update :mrgreen:

What is chord editor? I don't recall it was there...

Nice catch! It's a new feature in 10.6 indeed. Interestingly it's listed only as a bug fix: "Entering a chord in the Piano Roll chord editor for the first time now longer always enter a “Cno3” chord." .... and even more interestingly, it always enters a Cno3 chord here. :?

What is chord editor? I don't recall it was there...

Nice catch! It's a new feature in 10.6 indeed. Interestingly it's listed only as a bug fix: "Entering a chord in the Piano Roll chord editor for the first time now longer always enter a “Cno3” chord." .... and even more interestingly, it always enters a Cno3 chord here. :?

I have a feeling this update was rushed to support new M1 macs and Big Sur release. They obviously didn’t finished some of the stuff they are working on...even the preferences GUI feels half-updated/unfinished....

even the preferences GUI feels half-updated/unfinished....

Wow you're right that does look sloppy. The icons with different spacing, different highlight sizes...

And that Chord editor is definitely buggy (whatever it does). :shock:

And the text colors - white and light blue on gray :)

It seems 10.6.1 is coming soon

I think they are pushing it in the OS X requirement also. It used to be two releases behind is enough to run lpx. Now it’s one release behind. I’m certain it’s because they want to get into rearchitected bug sur sooner then later. It is what it is.

Dos dudes Patcher works fine for running catalina in many older macs as long as they have metal gpu. And as long as you’re ready to close the door finally on all 32bit apps once and for all.

How do I update to Logic Pro X 10.6? I go to the App Store and it is not listed in the update area...I search for Logic Pro X and there is only a button to "Open" -- why would I not see the update available?

Thank you.

EDIT: I had to go to the App Store website and click on the Update button there - weird how it was not directly in the App Store when I checked

How do I update to Logic Pro X 10.6? I go to the App Store and it is not listed in the update area...I search for Logic Pro X and there is only a button to "Open" -- why would I not see the update available?

Thank you.

EDIT: I had to go to the App Store website and click on the Update button there - weird how it was not directly in the App Store when I checked

So we have to go to the website, and not just the App store?

How do I update to Logic Pro X 10.6? (...) EDIT: I had to go to the App Store website and click on the Update button there - weird how it was not directly in the App Store when I checked

The App Store does some weird things like that sometimes. For me 10.6 didn't immediately show up then after quitting and restarting the App Store a few times it finally showed up when I searched for it (but not in the Update tab). So the opposite of what you experienced.

I'm not sure if there's a way to refresh the App Store while it's open to check for new content? Anyone knows?