Project end marker question

bebenavole

I wanna do this half hour long synth drone and the project marker wont move past minute 12:55 or so.It just keeps snapping back into that same position.

I wanna move it farther right so I can stretch the MIDI region all the way to minute 30 but it's not happening. Why?

Also is there any way to see the values where the markers are set in the main top display? Like it was stock in Logic 9.

thank you

Adam

Yes, you can customise the display to include the project end information - click the down arrow and pick "Customise display" and add the items you need.

I just dragged my end marker in my default template to 46 mins (randomly) without problems so I'm not sure what's happening there.

That's one LOOOOOONG synth drone. :lol:

Hahahahaha so true. Jeezz and to think I recorded and produced several critically acclaimed albums in Logic ahahahahaha

No one would believe me :D

I believe you. One has nothing to do with the other. You most likely have talents I don't have and I have talents you don't, same goes for des99 obviously. :D

No worries :)

Note - there's two digits for hours (otherwise you won't be able to go past hour 9!).

And there's a whole 59 minutes and change before you get to hour 1...

So an event at 3 minutes in would be: 00:03:00:00:00, and an hour and 3 minutes is 01:03:00:00:00.

It's been like this for at least 40+ years, so it's a system that works... ;)

That *is* the 1 hour mark.

It's a convention to start projects at the 1 hour mark. This comes from the SMPTE code from video, when machines of old weren't happy when flipping from 23:23:59 to 00:00:00 (are we moving forwards, or have we gone backwards? Some machines would behave unpredictably in this case). Starting an hour in avoids this, and gives some flexibility to move earlier in time without crossing that boundary.

Of course, if you're writing cues for film/tv, you're probably going to be starting at the time of the cue, so this will change, but in general, starting at one hour is a good standard convetion typically used and you won't go wrong doing it - which is why Logic defaults to those (which you can of course change in your own templates/projects if necessary).

In Logic's sync prefs you tell Logic which SMPTE position bar 1 starts at, so by default, bar 1 starts at 1 hour in SMPTE terms.

If you want to set your templates to start with bar 1 = 00:00:00 (or use an alternative time for display only), you are free to do so.

Guess this is confusing me. The 01in the display and the 1 on the ruler.

Why not just have 00:00:00 for the start position and then have 01:00:00 for the 1hr mark?

It's a standard with SMPTE, which comes from the time of mechanical movie reel players, which didn't handle negative players. Therefore all movies always started at 1 hour so that you could handle pre-roll for credits etc... between hour 0 and hour 1. You can enable the SMPTE offset in your sync project settings to see 0:00:00 as the 1 hour SMPTE time.